Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who is running GSC S2's or Kelford 272's on stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is running GSC S2's or Kelford 272's on stock springs?

Just wanted to see who is doing this and for how long. How far they revving out on occassion?

I dont really want to hear on why I shouldnt do this. I know why.
I want to hear from people who are and their experience with this.

Right now Im trying to decide on S1 vs. S2 and I got GSC telling me to do S1. while everyone else says dont waste the time with the S1. I dont want to do springs though.

Comments from the people who are running this setup please.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why dont you want to put springs in??
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
why dont you want to put springs in??

Doesnt matter.
As posted above I am looking for people who have been running a more agressive 272 style cam on stock springs.
Thats all.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:37 PM

I've been running kelfords 272's for about 4k miles on stock springs/retainers. I shift around 7400. So far I've had no problems.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Search!

Read!

Closed...

Lol
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Dont come on here and be a smart ***. Simple question. Simple answers. If you dont run them, dont post. I asked this in the first post.

I read for the last week.

Most of the vendors tell me on here I can do it as long as I dont rev past 8k, but I want to hear from people who actually do it. Not heresay.

Alot of people talk without actually knowing. I have learned this with every oher car I have. I want people talking that have the true real world experience.

So to reiterate. . . . I KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN AND WHAT IS RECCOMENDED. I WANT TO KNOW WHO IS CURRENTLY DOING THIS AND PUSHING THE SO CALLED ENVELOPE AND HOW IT IS WORKING OUT FOR THEM.

Thank you and have a great night.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I would think GSC knows what they are talking about since its thier cams in question.

I'm gonna make a comment to just comment though. Why get bigger cams and not use them to thier full potential by not revving them higher? Not revving them as high as you should are probably yielding the same gains as you would with a smaller cam.

I have the S1's, but they are not in my car as of yet. I did the same thing you did and talked to GSC, told them what I wanted out of my car, and told them I wasn't planning on revving my car to 8000. They told me S1's would be the best choice.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

i was told by greg @ gsc and the guys from kelford, and they said absolutely under no circumstance run s2's or kelfords with stock springs and retaintes
i run the s1's and love them
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

I can hang a valve out there pretty good north of 8k with HKS 272's. Keep pushing much higher and I've actually found the point that they LOSE their following capabilities... eh... I got lucky that time and I won't do it again.

I shift at 7800-8k

I can imagine the following capabilities are going to get sketchy with a more aggressive 272 cam with steeper ramp angles. Seat pressure on the Evo springs aren't even as high as stock DSM springs... but coil bind is better. Be wary.

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jun 16, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AWD Terror: Are the S2's and the Kelford 272's a tossup for you? Which camset are you leaning toward?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griffeyr
i was told by greg @ gsc and the guys from kelford, and they said absolutely under no circumstance run s2's or kelfords with stock springs and retaintes
i run the s1's and love them
i just got my kelford 272's & springs, i'm going to reuse the oem retainers i dont think its that important to replace the stock retainers then it is to replace the springs!

correct me if i'm wrong
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've had the kelford 272's for upwards of 15K miles. Usually shift around 7200, but taken it to 7500 quite a few times. No springs/retainers as of yet.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info guys.
Keep it coming.

Oh and BTW, Greg has said on occassion it is ok to run them with no springs, but he didnt reccomend it.

Like I said, Ive talked to Greg and he said 1s, but everyone else on the forum including vendors tell me 2's would be better
I just threw the kelford in there for reference since it is a more agressive 272 style cam unlike BC and HKS
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
People have had valve spring failures running those cams on stock springs. The data is out there.

I have Kelford 272's and I'm running new valve springs. Take them off as an option if you don't want to do springs. You have to pay to be a big boy and run high lift cams - it's that simple. If you're not willing to buy and install springs live with smaller cams.

On a stock turbo car the S1's are great. People get caught up in the cam of the moment winds too easily. HKS 272 would be a better fit for alot of people who think they need Kelfords or S2's.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

I dont know. I spoke to someone from Kelford and they said you would be fine running the kelfords on stock springs as long as you are not revving past 7500 rpm.

I am currently running kelford 272s on stock springs with no issues as of yet. I'll upgrade at some point later on in the season.

Quick Reply: Who is running GSC S2's or Kelford 272's on stock springs?