Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Buschur 2.3 stroker with hta 86

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Congrats on the build and thank you for running our engine!

The tuner you are using appears to not be up on the latest stock ECU modifications. The knock can be dialed out. I'd be interested to see the actual tune though as our shortblocks are generally very quiet and I find it hard to believe you have false knock. I could be wrong...

The stock ECU is capable of big power and I wouldn't have said that just few months ago.

The AEM EMS in the right hands is excellent, not sure who you are planning on having that tuned if you go that route.

I agree with most of these guys and think if you get the stock ECU tuned by the right person you will be happy.
Thanks Dave the motor is great . I was just wondering do you think 450whp on a dyno jet is right for around 23psi on the hta 86?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
Thanks Dave the motor is great . I was just wondering do you think 450whp on a dyno jet is right for around 23psi on the hta 86?
Forget what is right on 23 psi with a hta86, it really doesn't matter for where you're going
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
If money was no issue i would go stand alone 100%. But if i can get to the power range i want for alot less money and be just as safe why not.

i have an AEM and i disagree
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I'd say that hp is about right at that boost level. Turn it up!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the build and thank you for running our engine!

The tuner you are using appears to not be up on the latest stock ECU modifications. The knock can be dialed out. I'd be interested to see the actual tune though as our shortblocks are generally very quiet and I find it hard to believe you have false knock. I could be wrong...

The stock ECU is capable of big power and I wouldn't have said that just few months ago.

The AEM EMS in the right hands is excellent, not sure who you are planning on having that tuned if you go that route.

I agree with most of these guys and think if you get the stock ECU tuned by the right person you will be happy.

The tuner he used .. was tuning stock ecu's when they were hex edited back in 03' when you had al from dynoflash doing your stuff . I am fully aware of lowering knock tables and how the stock ecu works. With the knock tables untouched the car made a whopping 320whp picking up 36counts of knock. The car ended up making what it made from a modified knock table.

As far as aem ems .. You can run inputs for methanol under line pressure have the aem only when it sees line pressure switch maps. There are many benefits to the aem over the stock computer.

Is al still tuning your stock computers dave ?

Mark
Turbotrix

Last edited by Manny@TurboTrix; Jun 19, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Manny@TurboTrix
The tuner he used .. was tuning stock ecu's when they were hex edited back in 03' when you had al from dynoflash doing your stuff . I am fully aware of lowering knock tables and how the stock ecu works. With the knock tables untouched the car made a whopping 320whp picking up 36counts of knock. The car ended up making what it made from a modified knock table.

As far as aem ems .. You can run inputs for methanol under line pressure have the aem only when it sees line pressure switch maps. There are many benefits to the aem over the stock computer.

Is al still tuning your stock computers dave ?

Mark
Turbotrix
Mark i just want to say i didn't post this to make anyone look bad. I thought you guys did an amazing job. the car run's and drive's perfect and a clean install all the way around. Soon as i said something about Aem everyone said the stock ecu has more power ect ect. I would like to think my car has more power in it on the stock ecu but if not im fully prepared to go with aem. And again tell all the guys at turbo trix i said thanks .
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock ECU can also switch maps with meth inputs. I think JackofTrades has a detailed thread about it that was written quite a while ago.

I think we are just suggesting to the OP that the stock ECU is not a limiting factor anymore in making power. You can do most anything you can with a standalone, with a more powerful processor and new developments all the time.

Just to name a few that can be done on the stock ECU:
- speed density
- realtime live mapping
- realtime map switching via several different switching methods (both automatic and manual)
- high speed DMA logging
- log boost, wideband, MAT, etc
- gear based boost control
- NLTS
- launch maps
- knock cel
-valet mode
- boost drop on knock
- full knock control over the routines developed by Mitsu, which in my opinion is far superior to stand alone knock control
- full OBD-II compliance for emissions (very important for some people), as well as ways to control the OBD readiness tests

There is a ton more that I am forgetting since I don't even use all of the features and the list just gets better every day. There is even someone working on a full flex fuel implementation with the GM flex fuel sensors.

Simply put, the stock ECU is more powerful than stand-alones and every one of our cars comes with one. And since there are numerous people writing code and patches for the stock ECU, there is no limit to it's potential. With a stand-alone, you are at the mercy of the developing company and their update schedule(s).

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 19, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well said and I have to agree. Getting me to agree to that is a tough one, just check danl's signature! hahaha

I do wish the genius's (and I am serious about that) are writing all these fixes would bring installing them down to an idiot's level. I am slowly learning but implementing all the xml files and such is a bit intimidating.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

The stock ecu in my opinion drives better. It should be on any street car if just because it can pass an OBD2 emissions scan which is required in most states for a true street car. Plus the stock ecu starts the car up everytime and never forgets the rom or accidentally deletes or corrupts it. The hardware is solid.

The AEM has a nice amount of configurable inputs/outputs that I wish we could start implementing into the stock ecu. We are already doing some stuff but its going to take a lot of work to get to the point where the user can pick an input and configure it him/herself.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I have NEVER had an AEM lose it's cal file, delete it or corrupt it. Never seen it happen. I believe most of those stories I've heard are from user error. I'd venture to bet I've tuned more of them than most, just stating that as reference to the ratio of tunes to never seeing any of those things happen. Start up on the AEM is only an issue as to how long it takes for the ignition to sync and actually fire, that is sad that it still exists when it is clearly a software issue for the EVO's on AEM's part.

"I highly recommend using the stock ECU for even the most extreme builds."

There is a new quote for your signature too!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Is 36 counts of knock normal on a built motor with a unmodified knock table? I'm just wondering.. Oh and the gas was 8 months old so i don't know if that had something to do with it.

Last edited by ToMuchBoost; Jun 19, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I missed your post there manny/mark or whoever posted. I had absolutely NO idea that TT tuned the car just to be clear.

No actually Al is not tuning the stock ECU's for me anymore. You must be behind the times a bit. I seem to be making pretty good power on my own, thanks for the concern though. Out of curiousity, since you have so many years experience over me on the stock ECU. What's the quickest you've had an EVO go that you tuned on the stock ECU? It will give me something to shoot for.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

I have NEVER had an AEM lose it's cal file, delete it or corrupt it. Never seen it happen. I believe most of those stories I've heard are from user error. I'd venture to bet I've tuned more of them than most, just stating that as reference to the ratio of tunes to never seeing any of those things happen. Start up on the AEM is only an issue as to how long it takes for the ignition to sync and actually fire, that is sad that it still exists when it is clearly a software issue for the EVO's on AEM's part.

"I highly recommend using the stock ECU for even the most extreme builds."

There is a new quote for your signature too!
Why didn't Al's car fire at your 2006 shootout?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Also in this thread you can see AWD motorsports of which I think you are familiar with, complaining about their 2008 trip to the shootout being "wasted" due to the resetting AEM disease. I'm not picking on you or calling you out as you usually think I am. I am just stating what I've noticed in real life and on the internet.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7173196-post1.html
Old Jun 20, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Al's car failed to fire due to a dead battery, we had no jump box handy, I wasn't going to get accused of holding everyone up to "help out my boy" and told them to race and if he wasn't ready that was too bad, you can verify that with Al if you like. Dead battery though.

Mike's car, I don't know about. He had various problems last year at the race. I also said, "I have NEVER had an AEM lose it's cal file, delete it or corrupt it." Not being a jerk but that is I, as in ME, I have heard of it but have never personally had it happen or seen it myself.

I've dealt with the shorted circuit board problem, lost an engine from it. AEM fixed it with different non-metalic stands between the boards. The company is far FAR from perfect but I have had excellent luck with it.

Quick Reply: My Buschur 2.3 stroker with hta 86