Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Buschur 2.3 stroker with hta 86

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I missed your post there manny/mark or whoever posted. I had absolutely NO idea that TT tuned the car just to be clear.

No actually Al is not tuning the stock ECU's for me anymore. You must be behind the times a bit. I seem to be making pretty good power on my own, thanks for the concern though. Out of curiousity, since you have so many years experience over me on the stock ECU. What's the quickest you've had an EVO go that you tuned on the stock ECU? It will give me something to shoot for.
Sorry there david .. i wasnt aware manny was still logged in when i posted. Me behind the times ?? It seems only a few short yrs ago when you were twisting knobs on vpc's and gcc's . Now look at ya. You have al to thank for the stock ecu coaching and tym to thank for the aem coaching. You certainly had some good teachers. Fastest stock comp ? boy i dunno 10.9 i believe .. The one in this thread should run a 10 . Out of the 4000 evo's ive tuned over the years its hard to keep track over who ran what. Im sure its easier for you .

Buschur built , turbotrix tuned .. . Keep up the good work dave

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dan l
Also in this thread you can see AWD motorsports of which I think you are familiar with, complaining about their 2008 trip to the shootout being "wasted" due to the resetting AEM disease. I'm not picking on you or calling you out as you usually think I am. I am just stating what I've noticed in real life and on the internet.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7173196-post1.html
Nobody had a spare aem in ohio that weekend ..that was the problem..

mark
turbotrix
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, it wasn't long ago I was twisting knobs on the VPC/GCC and running 7's at 174+ mph, not long ago at all. I did have Tym to get me up and running on the AEM for about 2 days before he quit working for me........then others keep flying in Jason Siebels to tune for them and train them.....Then there was Al, yes, great guy, great friend. I use his base maps for a lot of the tunes we mail order still today, have all worked excellent. Didn't teach me how to tune the stock ECU though, you can get with him on that and the battery problem from the shootout.

I guess I don't have a something to shoot for, I am disapointed. My white car that I just finished went 10.6 at 129 already on the reflash and a red. To think, it's only been about 6 weeks since I started actually concentrating on the stock ECU tuning.

Just think, between the 4,000 EVO's you tuned and the 10,000 Al has tuned that means that between the two of you each EVO ever built has been tuned like 4 times and it's none for the rest of us. hahahaha

Last edited by David Buschur; Jun 20, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, also I just noticed the link you posted danl. The resetting AEM disease Mike is referring to is I am assuming from memory is the shorted boards I was talking about. AEM used metal stands in the EMS's, vibration would cause the two boards to short because of those stands. I think they went to some type of nylon or something. The car would just shut off in the middle of a pass. I did see quite a bit of that but the problem seems to be handled on them at this point. Haven't seen it in quite some time now. Also have to hand it to AEM with their warranty, I've never seen them NOT fix a problem for free.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.3 with balance shaft delete, tuning stock ecu is very tricky.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

vboy, that is the engine combination that is in my own car that I am referring to. Add to that HIGH compression, 1200 cc injectors, Jun 272's, maf pipe...........still was pretty easy. So many good people in the industry giving up their time and knowledge for the stock ECU, makes my job much easier. 470 whp/486 ft lbs on our dyno on 93 octane Friday. 513 whp/505 ft lbs on E85. No problems. Runs like a champ.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Also, sorry we are taking your thread off topic. If anyone wants to discuss off topic stuff further just make some new thread and send me a link.

If you need anything for the car, engine or whatever please let me know, be glad to help out if I can.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Manny@TurboTrix
The tuner he used .. was tuning stock ecu's when they were hex edited back in 03' when you had al from dynoflash doing your stuff . I am fully aware of lowering knock tables and how the stock ecu works. With the knock tables untouched the car made a whopping 320whp picking up 36counts of knock. The car ended up making what it made from a modified knock table.

As far as aem ems .. You can run inputs for methanol under line pressure have the aem only when it sees line pressure switch maps. There are many benefits to the aem over the stock computer.

Is al still tuning your stock computers dave ?

Mark
Turbotrix
36 counts on 320whp...?

Maybe you have another issue then because you sure as hell haven't pushed any stock ecu boundries on the setup.

Last edited by project_skyline; Jun 20, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Buschur built , turbotrix tuned .. . Keep up the good work dave.

Wayne is a cool dude hope to see you soon buddy. Post some pic's of your engine bay.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
36 counts on 320whp...?

Maybe you have another issue then because you sure as hell haven't pushed any stock ecu boundries on the setup.
The high amount of knock could be from the 9 month old gas i had in the car. But i doubt there is any issues the car runs like a champ.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Manny@TurboTrix
Buschur built , turbotrix tuned .. . Keep up the good work dave.

Wayne is a cool dude hope to see you soon buddy. Post some pic's of your engine bay.
I should have some pic's up soon manny
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

So many good people in the industry giving up their time and knowledge for the stock ECU, makes my job much easier. .

Amen brother, it's true.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by project_skyline
36 counts on 320whp...?

Am i missing something ? did you read the thread ? the car made 450 ... Before modifying the knock tables it was running -2 deg of timing at 7k .. hence the 320 whp.

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Just think, between the 4,000 EVO's you tuned and the 10,000 Al has tuned that means that between the two of you each EVO ever built has been tuned like 4 times and it's none for the rest of us. hahahaha
I doubt al has tuned 10k but from 2003 with techtom to 2006 when the free flash came out. There were alot of people who needed tuning. Now for 200 bucks and some free software everyone is tuner now a days. In 2003 the software to tune an evo was 6000 dollars. It was hex edited and nobody was told where the fuel maps were nor timing maps. You had to find it from hundreds of pages of hex code. Just think had you listened to shep years ago and put an aem in your pro car maybe it would of competed with the others in the class

Maybe i should get brandon to drive the stock ecu car that ran 10.9 full weight. I wasnt aware there was a stock ecu competition.

Im really glad your doing your own tuning now david .. good stuff

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:09 AM
Account Disabled

I would like to see a stock ecu competition. AEM is great but its not emissions legal and fails emissions in nearly every state except for apparently Ohio and a couple others.

Dave, I don't know if I have it on video but I was about 20 feet from Al's car that year and I heard the engine turning over but not firing. He finally killed the battery trying to start it. So yes, it had a dead battery, but it was drained because it wasn't firing well. So it must have been a tuning issue causing it to poorly fire and end up draining the battery. I know since then many of the starting issues have been resolved with a better trigger plate setup and more knowledge on the startup tables.

However I've had a couple instances dealing with AEM cars that won't fire well. One was one of the first you worked on wayyyy back in 03. It was a red evo 8 that had blown a motor at Beaver Run. He took it to you and you built a motor for him and put an AEM in it. We were both in street mod and he was a friend of mine (squirrley little kid). That car never fired correctly. He would actually keep it running between heats because he was afraid it wouldn't refire, as most of the time it wouldn't. I know you were new to AEM back then and its understandable. Its just another example of a non emissions compliant AEM car that the owner got sick of because he couldn't get it inspected and it wouldn't run correctly. He ended up selling it shortly afterward.

Quick Reply: My Buschur 2.3 stroker with hta 86