Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drivetrain Thump

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drivetrain Thump

Need help... I have searched!!

I usually just troll the forum for general help I am new to the DSM and EVOs... Girfriend is a Honda chic and I am a Nissan guru.

History:
Purchassed the EVO 9 MR with about 12k miles on it and the clutch was gone after 1000 miles... I expected this and have done reasech on the EVO before buying. We swapped in a OS Giken STR Twin Plate (unsprung) with Pull to Push Conversion... took out the Pill and re-placed the Clutch Lines to SS and Shifter bushings (in and out) to Solids.

All fluid is replaced with Royal Purple and will be changed to Motul/ Amsoil when due.

OK... so when rolling up to a stop light I drop to neutral and release the clutch... once the car gets to the last few rotations and very slow creap... you can feel a single rotation thump from the center of the car... it seems to be equal to a wheel rotation and not the driveshaft. However when driving the car at speed or out of neutral there is no noticable thumping, shake, vibration, etc... only in neutral... only when coasting very slow!!

Ideas? Logic??

Thank you for yout time...
-Drew
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How loud is the thump? I would check all the mounting bushings for the driveline. Also, I'd spin each tire and see if anything is inside of them (I've seen stuff in tires before, such as a whole valve stem with cap). Obviously thats not gonna make a horrific thump but my friend still noticed it...