Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lets talk oil quality and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets talk oil quality and why?

First off I know this subject has been beaten to absolute death but I am to the point of narrowing down my choices here and I need to know the pros and cons of each choice.

I am talking about using this in a 400whp evo 8 with a 8200 rpm redline.
This car is not a daily driver and will see oil changes at every 700-1000 miles and there is no way I would ever change it at any other intervol as that is just how I am, I view oil as the life blood of the entire engine and turbo system so if it appears to be dirty then it is changed simple as that.

So with that being said here are my choices.

Royal purple
schaeffers
Brad penn
Amsoil

I really have no exp with Amsoil but I get the feeling like they are kind of "pushy"
and I have never really seen anything to prove what they are saying is true, There was a amsoil guy who used to come to my job and discredit every oil made but could never provide any real proof so that kind of put a sour taste in my mouth with amsoil but I have not dismissed them yet since there seems to be a alot of people who like them but I am trying to figure out if they are the product of good marketing tatics?

I feel there are a lot of "bandwagon" riders for mobil1 and Amsoil but this is just an opinion.

I used to run Schaeffers in my evo1 with great results but I never tore the engine down to inspect.

Now that leaves Royal purple and bradpenn, I used to use royal purple in my mr2 and I noticed it used some oil with this but other than that results were good.

I have no personal exp with bradpenn so I am just going off of the word of others.

Please post useful information and not just comments like " I run mobil1 and I love it plus that is what is factory fill"

I am looking for hard evidence on this subject, I have talked to some very good and well known engine builders and the only 2 names I keep hearing is royal purple and Schaffers so this is weighing heavily on my descision making proscess as well.

What are opinions on tests like this
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...251891&fpart=1
http://www.streetcommodores.com/imag...132oiltech.pdf

While we are here lets talk what weight of oil is best for my application, ,I have heard thinner oil such as 10w30 is better because of the fact that it flows at a faster rate and will dissapate heat faster but then I have heard 20w50 is better a turbo application due to the extreme stress on the oil film?

I am trying to make a very educated descision here so any useful input would be apprecieated.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a mr2 as well. I tried Royal Purple in it. Honestly I didnt like it as well as Redline, what I ended up running in it. Amsoil seems like good stuff. imo, my choices would be, in no particular order, Redline, Eneos, Amsoil. I dont have any evidence though just personal preference. Bobistheoilguy is a kick *** forum, I like to read their views although some of their jargon can be hard to follow at times,heh.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mobil 1 is IMO not as good as it was a few years ago. there stock is not as good as it was. That is why alot of European manufacturers dropped it as their recommended oil.
Amsoil is good, adn i have not heard alot about Eneos.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

I dno't think you're going to get a "one ring to rule them all" kind of answer. What I mean is that I don't think there is an answer out there for you that tells you which one is the best.....without bias.

People swear by things that work. And they are very quick to regurgitate negative things they've heard about other products that they themselves do not use.

Case in point; my brother used RP on his stock Evo for a while. Didn't really notice any problems whatsoever the entire time that oil was in his car. I also didn't notice it performing any better than M1 or another X brand of synthetic. When changing the oil the oil looked pretty similar no matter what oil you put into it. And the car seemed to perform exactly the same between oils.

Now I've definitely read some horrific stuff about the things RP has (allegedly) done. I've never experienced this first hand so I can't comment on the situations. I can say from personal experience that RP has worked for either myself or someone I know personally. Would I necessarily recommend it? Probably not because it doesn't seem to be cost effective in comparison to the price you can pick up M1 or other quality oils (I've heard that M1 isn't as good as it used to be)

Also every engine is different. They are all built the same for the most part, but are subject to variables that can't really be predicted. A higher altitude engine will be subject to things an engine at sea level doesn't have to worry about. Colder climates I would imagine affect an engine differently than warmer climates. These things may not make a noticeable difference right away, but overtime I think each engine is subject to different kinds of wear and tear that I think may make it a little hard to validate that one oil is an engine killer and one is the savior of all things motor.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sold on Amsoil. The dealer I buy from has never been pushy in any way and has in fact been very helpful and patient with my many questions. My dealer also seems to have a vast amount of knowledge on the products he sells and what they will do for what they are being put into.

After using Amsoil I will never go to anything else. I even switched my wife's Grand Caravan over to Amsoil.

Last edited by Raistlin; Jun 21, 2009 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Lack of sleep causes errors.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil - nothing else
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll want to look into synthetics that start with the highest quality base oils. Esters have the propensity to reduce metal-to-metal friction where other base oils fail. I suggest that you might include the Motul 300v range of racing/competition motor oils in your research as well.

By your own preference, you'll be observing extremely short oil change intervals, so you won't require an oil with the same additive package as the oils designed to meet the Mitsubishi factory's recommended change intervals.

Last edited by sparky; Jun 21, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Good info^^ I will look in to Amsoil further, I guess I need to talk to a well knowledgeable Amsoil rep and not the pushy salesmen that is in our area
Last time I talked to him I was using royal purple and I told him to convince me that Amsoil was a better product and I would switch my oil brand right then and there well needless to say he just badmouthed all of the other oil companys so I gave up with Amsoil at that point.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know if you need any help with questions with AMSOIL

here is some hard evidence that we have tested, however the best real world evidence is the hundreds of members here on evom that use our products, you can go to my reviews and ask each one of them and i hope them to be honnest to you and give you the likes and dont's

Here is a link to some testing conducted http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf , remember all the testing in here has to be legit, why because simply if a company like RP, Mobil, AMSOIL, Penzoil, if the company decided to miss inform and scramble the data and one or the other competition company would prove them wrong they would have a law suit so big that it wouldnt be funny.

Last edited by apagan01; Jun 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Ive run eneos and amsoil. At first they are exactly the same and up until 3k miles there are exactly the same. I havnt had my amsoil in long enough to know which is better after 3k, but the amsoil sure is looking much better than the eneos was. Performance is the same. Without a uoa this is all speculation. My valve train is quieter with amsoil.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Getting ready to run Alisyn Type 6 >>>0W, and Type 6 0W-20 combined to make it about a 0W-10... The tech sheet is here. http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet...%201%20TDS.pdf

I realize this may not be the type of response you are looking for, but if you are interested in running a lower weight oil, please inquire at Aerospace Lubricants. They have been telling me to run 10W-0 for a while now, and I'm finally doing it.

Last edited by SWOLN; Jun 23, 2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:52 AM

has anyone ever used eneos oil?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xspsi4
Good info^^ I will look in to Amsoil further, I guess I need to talk to a well knowledgeable Amsoil rep and not the pushy salesmen that is in our area
Last time I talked to him I was using royal purple and I told him to convince me that Amsoil was a better product and I would switch my oil brand right then and there well needless to say he just badmouthed all of the other oil companys so I gave up with Amsoil at that point.

Sir, ther are many types of people out there, there are many good oils out there i used mobil for years and years.

let us know if we can help i would be glad to get on the phone with you and talk a little about oils
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have spun rod bearings in 2 engines in my last evo 8 and now I am super selective about my oil choice.

RP seems to have a super high film strength which appeals to me!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet...%206%20TDS.pdf

The last test on the 0W-20 sheet, D-3233, is the one you need for film strength.

What is the RP film strength?

Quick Reply: Lets talk oil quality and why?