Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kevin@MellonTuning's Stock Evo IX Build with pics and DLL dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice results Kev! it looks real good. now you need a video lol

at what rpm are you seeing full boost?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Broham
another silly question kevin,

when the black kicks in how does it feel? does your head hit the seat and stomach churn? will the black give the roller coaster sensation?
when the boost hits it pins my head to the seat pretty well and never stops pulling because the hp rises with rpm, very strong.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the black so far.. Chris is right it pins ya down and just keeps up! It definately want's more than 30 psi!!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
not bad guys! 30 psi safe enough on a stock block? i cant remember correctly if Mellon was running 32psi on the stock block or was it on the new motor.

it looks like it's a blast t drive!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled

yep it should be fine, it's not the pressure you have to watch as much as it's the tq when using stock rods. We've had dozens of customers at 30psi for years.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:05 PM

Good thread really enjoyed it
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
yep it should be fine, it's not the pressure you have to watch as much as it's the tq when using stock rods. We've had dozens of customers at 30psi for years.

Hi Chris, what do you think about arp rod bolts for more tq.. Also got another tactrix cable that works.. sorry Talk to ya soon!

Mellon Tuning IN Progress!!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
Really? That's impressive. So if i were to simply buy some rods and pistons only, and springs/retainers. that'd be more than enough for the stock motor? If that's the case I don't see buying a full race head and shortblock as a "necessity" to run such boost if stronger rods and pistons will hold the tq of the black.

Also, glad it slams into the seat because thats my real goal, not a number really, more a sensation goal.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Walt
Hi Chris, what do you think about arp rod bolts for more tq.. Also got another tactrix cable that works.. sorry Talk to ya soon!

Rod bolts will help if you are spinning the motor past 9000 rpms. Its the rods at 450+ lbs of TQ
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Kevin can you go into a bit more detail on how much more laggy the car is/feels on the black. What rpm do you see fullboost?

Maybe Chris can churp in and add when full boost would be seen on a hta green/bbk compared to the black. I know the turbos are worlds apart in power potential i am just intrested in more information about the tradeoff.

Cheers
Calvin
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 PM

1st post for me in the thread back in august....now this has really made me question my turbo choice...
Love the numbers and also a point was made to me for the first time lol
About needing boost when you need it not on the way to the store or short trips ha never really thought about it.
I can read the graph to get an idea on the lag but i too would like to know the "feel"
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Walt

honestly, I'm always hesitant to mess with rod bolts and head studs unless I intend on doing some crazy hp/tq on the stock shorty and that's really not my thing. I'll leave that to STM

Originally Posted by Broham
Really? That's impressive. So if i were to simply buy some rods and pistons only, and springs/retainers. that'd be more than enough for the stock motor? If that's the case I don't see buying a full race head and shortblock as a "necessity" to run such boost if stronger rods and pistons will hold the tq of the black.

Also, glad it slams into the seat because thats my real goal, not a number really, more a sensation goal.
lots of people have done "drop in pistons" which means forged rods, pistons and new bearings...quite a few went very fast like that when it's done correctly.

I don't think most people are going to have issues with the tq of the black unless they are running better fuel and more boost.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by GHOSTN
Kevin can you go into a bit more detail on how much more laggy the car is/feels on the black. What rpm do you see fullboost?

Maybe Chris can churp in and add when full boost would be seen on a hta green/bbk compared to the black. I know the turbos are worlds apart in power potential i am just intrested in more information about the tradeoff.

Cheers
Calvin
??

Any new plans? Built shorty e85 and 40psi
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:07 PM

nice...i allways wanted an evo 2, i picked up one and 2 days lata i shot rod throw the block car was ****....goes to tell you first impresions..im glad you have much better luck than me and enjoy....nice car....i got a twin lolz
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GHOSTN
??

Any new plans? Built shorty e85 and 40psi
Thinking about throwing some e85 in it soon. Built shorty won't come for awhile unfortunately. Just enjoying it right now

Quick Reply: Kevin@MellonTuning's Stock Evo IX Build with pics and DLL dyno numbers