Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing belt noise.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing belt noise.

Well after I install my new timing belt this past weekend.
Start-up was perfect, idle great, drive smooth, and boost fine.
but,..( yeah I know..) there's slightly more noise from the timing belt that happen only at idle..
Do you think that I put too much tension on the belt? should I be concern?
anyone experience this with theres??
I'm about to re-do, re-tension my belt. but if Its normal I might just leave it alone.
any info is greatly appreciate. C

Last edited by loofee; Jun 23, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well what kinda noise is it? From my personal experience of timing belts, as working for toyota, belts that sounds like they are whining are tight, and belts that sounds like its flapping is loose. Kinda hard to explain but, when you feel the tension of the belt between the two cam gears, there should just be enough to move up and down about about a few cm's or so. Almost like if there were anymore tension right there you would know right away that its too tight. Might sound retarded but im not sure of exactly how to say it. Anyways hope that helps in any way!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The evo has an automatic hydraulic tensioner. The tension is not adjustable. What parts/ pulleys did you replace when you serviced the T belt?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
The evo has an automatic hydraulic tensioner. The tension is not adjustable. What parts/ pulleys did you replace when you serviced the T belt?
Just the T-belt and balance belt. the pully and tensioner seem to be in good shape. C
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing the belts without the pulleys, water pump and tensioner is just asking for trouble. You may have to do the work all over again and replace the tensioner.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

well, re-did the belt and play with teh tension a lil more on both the T-belt and balance belt.from start to finish under 4 hours with about hour n a half of do, and re-do. the noise is now GONE. run and idle quite like it supposed to. C