Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lesson learned on Boost leak tests

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to do this before I get retuned. It has 56k miles on it with full boltons, cams, and FP Red turbo. My trap speed has always been on the low side with my previous tunes. This could be the source.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree! Being in the intercooler business, I tell people this every day!

Thanks!!

Michael
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD_Terror
Have you seen boost leaking from injector seals or IM gaskets?
I guess I never really thought of that because its not common, but makes sense.

+1 on the dab of superglue. I never tried it, but i never had a problem with vac line leaks to be honest
Yes, you absolutely sometimes will see air leaking from injector seals, or IM gaskets.

You might also have drilled/tapped your IM for extra boost sources. If it leaks under boost, it'll pull extra air in under vacuum and cause your idle to be high and/or setup incorrectly.

The superglue isn't really for fixing a boost leak, but rather to prevent an important vacuum hose from blowing off (such as the boost reference line on your fuel pressure regulator).

You can't be too **** on a boost leak test. The car in my signature (DSM 35r dyno record holder) would be tested to 50psi. If it doesn't leak at 50, it sure as heck ain't gonna leak at 30.

Be advised though, your intake tester can become a DEADLY projectile at 50psi.

Also, sealing up leaks at 50psi can take several hours.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Can one of you guys post the link to the DIY boost leak thread. I can't seem to bring it up on the search. Thanks.

Rob
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 I almost lost a finger once at 25psi lol..

It's very possible the car is running much richer now with a fixed leak. You may have previously had artificially high load wheras now you will be running at a lower load path in the fuel and timing maps..
Originally Posted by DSMu4ia
Yes, you absolutely sometimes will see air leaking from injector seals, or IM gaskets.

You might also have drilled/tapped your IM for extra boost sources. If it leaks under boost, it'll pull extra air in under vacuum and cause your idle to be high and/or setup incorrectly.

The superglue isn't really for fixing a boost leak, but rather to prevent an important vacuum hose from blowing off (such as the boost reference line on your fuel pressure regulator).

You can't be too **** on a boost leak test. The car in my signature (DSM 35r dyno record holder) would be tested to 50psi. If it doesn't leak at 50, it sure as heck ain't gonna leak at 30.

Be advised though, your intake tester can become a DEADLY projectile at 50psi.

Also, sealing up leaks at 50psi can take several hours.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
+1 I almost lost a finger once at 25psi lol..

It's very possible the car is running much richer now with a fixed leak. You may have previously had artificially high load wheras now you will be running at a lower load path in the fuel and timing maps..

well im also at like 21psi now cuz I put a stock BOV and its leaking anything above 21psi until my IX gets here on tues.
i saw like high 10's at 21psi last night. Im not gonna stress it much though. Im getting retuned with cams and new injectors in the next few weeks.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

when your TB seals are bad, how noticable is it on a leak test?
I just retested and dont hear anything from the injector seals. I think maybe I might hear a little something from the TB seals, but not sure. I deff cant feel anything.

Is it a good thing to just replace anyway?
Car has like 55k on it right now.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^ get the Milspec seals. To find out if your seals are leaking, when testing open the throttle plate and the hiss pitch should change or become audible
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was doing the testing, the injector seal leak was not very loud at 10 psi. At first, I thought it was the throttle shaft seals. When I leaned over the motor to listen, I could feel the air from the injector seal on my face. Lightly wriggling the injector made it leak more depending on the direction I pressed. I raised the pressure in my compressor and I was able to briefly get about 20 psi. The noise was very noticeable at that point.

Incidentally, I used a tire inflator with a dial type pressure gauge built on it. That way I can see exactly what pressure is in the turbo system at all times during the test. The injector seal was leaking way too fast to get an accurate reading with a standard tire gauge
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

i ran like 40 psi thru last night and wasnt sure if there was a leak or not. maybe ill get em anyway
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deffo should be a service check this.
another thread over the pond
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I found quite a few leaks when I did a boost leak check today. By far the worst offender was the stock TB shaft seals. Time to get a pair from Mil.Spec.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

^ boost leaks should be performed as frequent as an oil chnge, my opinion.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
^ boost leaks should be performed as frequent as an oil chnge, my opinion.
One thing I noticed was that when I pushed the leak test pressure really high, I caused a leak that persisted down to low pressures. I could see something like that happening during aggressive driving so it does seem like frequent boost leak checks are a good idea.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
One thing I noticed was that when I pushed the leak test pressure really high, I caused a leak that persisted down to low pressures. I could see something like that happening during aggressive driving so it does seem like frequent boost leak checks are a good idea.
once you find one, there's always another one lurking . If it wasn't such a pain for me, i'd do it more often.

Quick Reply: Lesson learned on Boost leak tests