Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lesson learned on Boost leak tests

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lesson learned on Boost leak tests

Even if you think your car is running great and dont see any problems, do a boost leak test every once in a while!

I tried my first last night and the car runs pretty damn good, but I found a GAPING leak at my IC pipe to the turbo side of the IC. Like sooo bad that putting my hand over the coupler was like spraying a can of compressed air directly into my hand. Sounded like my turbo at full spool. lol
I cant wait to see how much power this will bring back to life. This was only at 20psi too. Who knows how long its been like this.

Will fix this and see if there are any more down the line, but important realization learned for sure.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

did you use the how-to on the DIY boost leak tester?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I knew how to make one already, but yes I did look it over for ****s and giggles
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:06 PM

Hmmm, I did a boost test last night and maybe you guys could help me answer a few questions.

1) What are you guys boost testing up to?

2) Are you getting any boost leaking out of the oil cap (I believe that its boost coming around the crank case)?

3) How much boost should you test for if you plan on say oh.... 30-32lbs stock turbo?

I tested 20lbs holding with good results, beside the air escaping form that little vaccume line coming off the head that the little k&n filter goes over.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

i initially tested for 20psi to see what would happen. Im going to test for like 25-30 once I fix this big one

Are you plumbing into the turbo and shoooting air in there?
I never had any air ever come out of the valve cover. I think it depends on your pcv/vent setup maybe?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
peshki, you need to unhook the hose to the valve cover... Ask me how I know... lol
its located on the (R) hand side of the valve cover basically right in front.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
peshki, you need to unhook the hose to the valve cover... Ask me how I know... lol
its located on the (R) hand side of the valve cover basically right in front.
Air is being pressurized directly into the turbo -

IE - there is no line on the Valve cover breather you are reffering to since the MAF pipe is already removed in order to gain access to the turbo inlet.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:40 PM

It would be wise to get your car retuned after fixing the boost leak if you were tuned previously with a boost leak.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
It would be wise to get your car retuned after fixing the boost leak if you were tuned previously with a boost leak.
I checked this only because I am making some other mods and getting it retuned in the next couple weeks.
I can make small changes myself though if it runs lean, but it wont be bad enuff to make a huge affect. My tune has been looking richer lately. I am wondering if this was like this during the tune , or when i took the manifold and all the other stuff off after the tune to fix and exhaust leak at the mani. (it prob happened then)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Is it bad to pump 30 psi into the crankcase with the engine off? Seems like you would be pressurizing oil seals that aren't meant to hold compressed air?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 03:25 PM

There are easier ways for air pressure to escape than to try to go through oil seals. That's what the crankcase breather tube is there for; that and to have excess pressure sucked out by the intake pipe's vacuum due to the turbo.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

it turned out I was leaking horribly from a pipe that the prev owner "engineered" to fit on the IC and dented the hell out of it so it didnt seal what so ever on the silicone coupler. I took it off and looked thru the pipe and saw ALOT of light thru the coupler
I fixed it tonight and another small spot and the car picks up much better.
Also its running rich as hell.

BTW, I dont think any air should be getting into the crank case honestly. Much shouldnt be getting past the throttle plate.
I ran like 40psi thru tonight with no leaks now.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Found SEVERAL leaks after I did my leak test, would recommend it to everyone. Check your TB seals.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the TB seals go out all the time....i hold 25psi on my car....a lot of the time its the BOV that cant hold constant boost....i run 30psi on my car
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evowner17
Found SEVERAL leaks after I did my leak test, would recommend it to everyone. Check your TB seals.
this is why I decided to do mine. I couldnt hear any leaks there, but to my surprise had this huge one on the IC pipes.
Was yours a pretty clear leak on the TB?

Quick Reply: Lesson learned on Boost leak tests