Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

???Does the new HTA Green hold boost like the RED???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
???Does the new HTA Green hold boost like the RED???

The title says it all. I want the green but need some more questions answered. I want to hold the 28+PSI at redline that a RED can hold. Is this Possible on the HTA Green?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You want no taper, right? I am not sure that we have the relevant empirical data as of yet.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call FP...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't be too concerned on what it can hold to redline. I would focus more on the gains and trap speeds the turbo will deliver. Turbos can still make power with taper.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was of the impression taper could be managed other ways, too.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to see some dyno graphs
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Taper is a function of max flow compared to RPMs. In general, the higher the RPM, the more air the motor can ingest. The MASS of air the engine uses goes UP, but the boost pressure (air backed up waiting to go into the motor) goes DOWN. In general, smaller compressor wheels provide lower air mass delivery (measured in lbs/min.) than larger compressor wheels, so I would not expect that the new GREEN HTA would match the larger RED HTA's output. The amount it would taper, if at all, would depend somewhat on the capabilities of the motor that it's mounted on to flow air...
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Taper is a function of max flow compared to RPMs. In general, the higher the RPM, the more air the motor can ingest. The MASS of air the engine uses goes UP, but the boost pressure (air backed up waiting to go into the motor) goes DOWN. In general, smaller compressor wheels provide lower air mass delivery (measured in lbs/min.) than larger compressor wheels, so I would not expect that the new GREEN HTA would match the larger RED HTA's output. The amount it would taper, if at all, would depend somewhat on the capabilities of the motor that it's mounted on to flow air...
Right, on a built motor I wouldn't hesistate for a second to but a .82 or 1.06 HS on it. I heard subie guys have a lot of problems with FP, I am surprised you guys don't say the same, especially with all the FP Threads I read. If it were me Id go with a GT42 Turbo with a 1.06 HS, but thats just me. If he's looking for moderate levels Id go with a 30R or 35R.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OUTRUNED
Right, on a built motor I wouldn't hesistate for a second to but a .82 or 1.06 HS on it. I heard subie guys have a lot of problems with FP, I am surprised you guys don't say the same, especially with all the FP Threads I read. If it were me Id go with a GT42 Turbo with a 1.06 HS, but thats just me. If he's looking for moderate levels Id go with a 30R or 35R.
The point of the post you quoted was to explain that boost does not equal mass, which is what really counts. Larger turbos with turbine housings with larger A/Rs have the capability to move more mass, but come with a trade off of greater "lag" compared to a smaller turbo on the same motor. For a large number of Evo owners, the characteristics of a HTA Green or a Red are exactly what they want, and have the advantages of near stock spool, substantially more power, stock appearance, and no need for T3 or T4 manifolds and supporting parts. That's why they are in high demand.

In contrast, a GT42 is HUGE, and would not satisfy 99% of the people considering a Green or a Red. Not remotely in the same ballpark...

As far as your comments about FP, it sounds like you've had no experience yourself. There are thousands of very happy FP customers here, myself included, who would be pleased to give you the benefit of our experience. FP makes great products, and stands behind them. What more could you ask?

Last edited by CO_VR4; Jun 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM.