Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how much HP increase with cams?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much HP increase with cams?

So on the 29th I have a appointment with GST to have my FP4R cams installed as well as getting some supertechs retainers and springs put in as well. Cars a 9MR. I know cams don't really do much for 9s but they do give u a better power curve right? Mods currently installed are TBE with test pipe, titek V2 o2 housing, intake, LICP, FMIC 720cc inj, fuelpump, ARP headstuds, ported EM, ported turbo hotside, GM 3 port, and BBK full. Car was tuned at 320hp and 290 tqe at 24psi on 91oct What u guys think my HP increase will be? 10,15hp? TIA
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Car was tuned at 320hp and 290 tqe at 24psi on 91oct What u guys think my HP increase will be? 10,15hp? TIA
That it with a BBK Full and the mods you have...? I thought sure you would be atleast pushing close to 4 with that. Wow, interesting...

I can't actually say on a 9 for I own an eight, with similiar mods, and stock turbo, I hope to see high 300's. I have been told 350ish to 370ish with the addition of the cams, boost controller, injectors, and a good tune.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evol ways
So on the 29th I have a appointment with GST to have my FP4R cams installed as well as getting some supertechs retainers and springs put in as well. Cars a 9MR. I know cams don't really do much for 9s but they do give u a better power curve right? Mods currently installed are TBE with test pipe, titek V2 o2 housing, intake, LICP, FMIC 720cc inj, fuelpump, ARP headstuds, ported EM, ported turbo hotside, GM 3 port, and BBK full. Car was tuned at 320hp and 290 tqe at 24psi on 91oct What u guys think my HP increase will be? 10,15hp? TIA
I would say that 15-20 would be correct of a BBK Full. I would have went with GSC S2s if I were to do cams again. Go look at the Cam shootout here on evom https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-cam-test.html
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

i know really low for a 9 and those mods. my tuner over at gst told me the same thing. not sure why. maybe i just got a low power 9. lol. yea i got cams to see of i could get my hp to come up. maybe cams will make my BBK shine.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't GST's dyno read pretty low?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I would say that 15-20 would be correct of a BBK Full. I would have went with GSC S2s if I were to do cams again. Go look at the Cam shootout here on evom https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-cam-test.html
i actually read page through page in TURBO mag when i decided i was going to upgrade my cams. lol all 3 issues only thing is his is a 8 which cams do alot more for and hes running a way bigger turbo. would like to see a dyno page of a 9 with similer mods as me.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
i believe so. dont qoute me on this though as i am unsure. bryan had told me he was expecting more out of it with amount of mods. maybe i just need a touch up tune
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
yea it does, my stock 09 ralliart read in at 190 whp
where as AMS and UR have some stock dynoed at 205-215 whp
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i actually read page through page in TURBO mag when i decided i was going to upgrade my cams. lol all 3 issues only thing is his is a 8 which cams do alot more for and hes running a way bigger turbo. would like to see a dyno page of a 9 with similer mods as me.
What so magical about an 8 over a 9?

i know really low for a 9 and those mods. my tuner over at gst told me the same thing. not sure why. maybe i just got a low power 9. lol. yea i got cams to see of i could get my hp to come up. maybe cams will make my BBK shine.
I wouldn't know, haven't owned one...lol. I am of course comparing an apple to an orange here. The 9's have mivec, and thats the only difference in the motors. But, I know that variable valvetrain does give the edge in the upper RPMs. I am just shocked that even with the BBK full, your still at 320. I am one that does think the lower reading dynos are better, because they give you a worst case scenario(could word better...just not sure how), they are thought of to be more true, or practical. I personaly want to know that my car puts out what it says, and not be mislead by a high reading dyno. Of course they are all different, so that may not even be possible.

You never know till you line it up next to another 9 with similiar mods, and hand him lunch...lol
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on fuel, boost, tune..get a fuel pump too and cams will give you a very healthy hp increase
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Walbro pump. Check. Yea I actually got one. Yea I'm hoping for a good hp increase. And the rumpidy rump idleling won't hurt either lol.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

i made 399 on cbrd's dyno with similar mods as you (once you put the cams in)and their dyno reads low too, very close or lower then gst i believe.(who really knows???) i upgraded my intrercooler to cbrd's garret core and picked up 29 hp and 19 tq, so you might want to add that to the mix. i am running s2 cams though.

i was at 370 before i added the garret core, i could see you making a run at that with some good cams and a tweek on the tune. gst has been doing pretty well with the bbk turbos, i think you are in good hands. it is also tuff with 91 octane i am lucky to have 93 over on the east side.

here is a link to my graphs https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...bbk-ftmfw.html

jeff
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

91 octane sucks! cams can put down any where from 8 - 20 whp depending on name, type, size, set up etc especially the tune.

Last edited by 38six; Jun 26, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yea this crappy 91 doesn't help here. Yea GST are awsome guys who know what thier doing. Never worry when my cars there. Yea Bryan my tuner thier expected me to be around 340-350 on thier dyno with my mods no cams. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my cars power way better then stock.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 38six
91 octane sucks!
Yes it does. Lol

Quick Reply: how much HP increase with cams?