Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

292 At the wheels with only 2 Mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DynoFlash
With all defernce to Eric da man - just got to answer da Shiv factor's ? - - -

My Motor did not fail "catastrophically" Actually - I was ideling in a parking lot of my favorite nitrous refill station when, sadly, an intake valve guide tip broke off and started to bounce around in the combustion chamber.

The breakage is atributed to either a casting flaw in a cheap stock valve guide, installation error by the machine shop, or the very high lift JUN 272 cams causing the retainer to hit the guide

Either way - it was not too bad as it was at idle and I shut it down right away. All it really needed was a little sanding down of the piston to make it run again. But since I had it all apart I elected to refresh the entire motor again with new pistons - experimenting with a different piston ring gap - new bearings and make it all mint again.

The good news is my friends George and Tommy at the local Ferrari shop took an inetrest in my sad situation and whipped my engine back together in about 1 day. If I didn't have to go away on a little business trip and IF I wasn;t so busy with the Dyno Flashing I would have had my car running a lot faster. I got it back together and running two days ago and I couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!

PS - I also noted the same results with retarding my cams a couple of degres. It seemd to get the action slamming much harder in the mid range and more detonation resistant.

Thanks for the interest in my EVO adventures!!!!!!! If your not prepared to break a few parts you certainly won't be at the top of the Evo game for long !!!! All I can do is quote my ole friend Jam Shim who very wisely once told me - "Welcome to Motorsports"
I feel for you Al about the motor. Just no ones fult there. Nothing with the tuning nor the building. Your right welcome to motor sports. Shopping for a clutch right now I don't really see mine holding very long because I'm an ******* and can't help my self.. Good luck with the car you still got to give me a ride.
Welcome back to the Evo.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

I feel for you Al about the motor. Just no ones fult there. Nothing with the tuning nor the building. Your right welcome to motor sports. Shopping for a clutch right now I don't really see mine holding very long because I'm an ******* and can't help my self.. Good luck with the car you still got to give me a ride.
Welcome back to the Evo.

Eric
Nice numbers!!

Speaking of rides!!!! Let me know when I can get my next ride with the improved setup.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:39 AM

Damn, VERY impressive numbers. Congrats
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by vr430

Eric, sorry for hijacking your thread, but I think this is somewhat relevant plus the fact I could not find anything of substance via search engine.

Shiv, thanks for the explanation. So your cam gears are not adjustable, right? Also, would you please elaborate on the difference - in generalities - between stock, yours and 264 and 272 cam gears if one were to use them with stock cams. I read up online and kinda understand the theory behind retardation/advance and open/close duration, but cannot seem to make the connection. Thanks
Just a slight correction: cams and cam gears are different. What shiv/et al. are speaking of are cam gears, which are the gears that drive the cams via the timing belt. Lift/duration are properties of the cam shaft(s), while degrees/timing are properties of the gears. Basically by adjusting the timing you are adjusting the time at which the cams will achieve a certain level of lift for a certain duration (cam shaft dependant of course) which is "mirrored" if you will by the valves opening/closing in the "head" of the combustion chamber.

This adjusts the amount of time that the air/fuel mixture has to flow into the cylinder (because at BDC your cylinder will be able to hold the most obviously, so timing the intake side of things is critical to how much power you make and where). It also allows for adjustment of the exhaust side, so the piston cycle (up-down-up-down) can push out the most exhaust gas possible without overlapping too much on the intake side. That, of course, drives the turbo turbine which forces more air through the intake tract, and so on and so on.

At least this is how I understand it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2literv8eater

Nice numbers!!

Speaking of rides!!!! Let me know when I can get my next ride with the improved setup.
Hey man!!!

When are you going to be Verona? Car pulls like it's got a point to prove. Clutch is next does not feel like it's liking the power. Oh and I still did not get in the whole turbo back just cat back.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

HeyEric , when we talked on the phone a couple days ago , you mentioned that the B&B muffler was restrictive and you didn't know if you were going to switch to a different exhaust. I had a suggestion. A couple days ago , I got a GReddy catback installed on the Lancer but had the muffler cut off and replaced it with a HKS Hi power muffler. Maybe something like this would be an option instead of switching the entire system out. If you went with the B&B downpipe and cat delete , you would have the full B&B turbo back with a straight through muffler replacement. It would be less restrictive and you would have a one of a kind system. Just a suggestion !
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DRC Imports
HeyEric , when we talked on the phone a couple days ago , you mentioned that the B&B muffler was restrictive and you didn't know if you were going to switch to a different exhaust. I had a suggestion. A couple days ago , I got a GReddy catback installed on the Lancer but had the muffler cut off and replaced it with a HKS Hi power muffler. Maybe something like this would be an option instead of switching the entire system out. If you went with the B&B downpipe and cat delete , you would have the full B&B turbo back with a straight through muffler replacement. It would be less restrictive and you would have a one of a kind system. Just a suggestion !
That's an Idea but here is the thing A system that goes on my cas has to match these few requriments of mine.

1 not to load
2 all the same system (B&B or so on)
3 3in
4 Hiflow 3in cat.

I love the B&B and still trying to ponder what to do. But thanks for the suggestion!!! And that nice chat we had on the phone.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I think if you pik up the B&B cat delete and downpipe , you will be a bit happier. I know that you said the B&B muffler is restrictive but it still produces the same , if not more hp and tq than the other systems.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

That restrictiveness is what allows it to sound soooo nice.

Eric I am still on the fence about the cat back from you. DRC you have a PM.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DRC Imports
I think if you pik up the B&B cat delete and downpipe , you will be a bit happier. I know that you said the B&B muffler is restrictive but it still produces the same , if not more hp and tq than the other systems.
I have bin around turbo charge cars for a while and the B&B muffler is restritive for a turbo charged car.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by webguy330i
That restrictiveness is what allows it to sound soooo nice.

Eric I am still on the fence about the cat back from you. DRC you have a PM.
Oh it sounds sooo goood! Hell if you want it's yours for 400.00 just for you only.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Damn you don't make that a public announcement! Pending pricing from DRC we shall see sir... I may be making a trip to NJ this weekend.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by webguy330i
Damn you don't make that a public announcement! Pending pricing from DRC we shall see sir... I may be making a trip to NJ this weekend.
Ya this weekend will be fine I will be working on another EVO thow so I might not have time to help you install the exhaust.

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

No install help necessary, I'll be carting it back here. Will it fit in the evo?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

BTW if we meet up I want a ride in your beast of a vehicle!!

Quick Reply: 292 At the wheels with only 2 Mods!!!