Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Replaced TC, found a leak, replaced o ring and seal....still leaking!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced TC, found a leak, replaced o ring and seal....still leaking!!!!!!

Why I still own this car, perplexes me to this day.

Well, in my NEVER ending chase to track down a noise, I wound up replacing my transfer case with an 04 RS unit that was rebuilt by TRE.

When I first installed it, I noticed a small leak about the size of a quarter every time I parked the car. So I bought the O ring, and a new seal, and replaced them today.

I thought I had it all figured out, got it out with out having to drop the sub frame again, so I was happy. But, when I got home, I noticed the TC was leaking again.

I did not pinch anything when I put it in, it went in with out a hitch. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Please help, because three quarts of AMSOIL trans fluid and a quart of AMSOIL SVG are not cheap, and I know i'm gonna have to do it again.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is weird, do a very therough inspection of that TC look for worst case scenarios like craks, look for simple things like untorqued bolts, not torqued enough, drain plug, fill plug.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
that is weird, do a very therough inspection of that TC look for worst case scenarios like craks, look for simple things like untorqued bolts, not torqued enough, drain plug, fill plug.

I inspected it real well. Did not see anything out of the ordinary.

It was looked over and rebuilt by Jon at TRE.

I'm stumped. Again, this is leaking between the TC and where the trans meet. I used to overfill my other TC and it never leaked from that. So I ruled that out.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I guess i'll just talk to myself. lol

I guess the only thing for me to do is pull the tcase again this weekend and inspect the "shaft" that the oil seal goes on. I imagine the smallest burr, or imperfection will cause it to leak right passed the seal.

I swore I checked it over real well when I pulled it last, but I guess not.

So, i'll do that this weekend and take pics of it and see what happens.

It leaks between the trans and the t case, the only thing that is there on the drivers side of the t case is the seal and the o ring. I've replaced both too.

I may just fill it on a bench with the seal in and the shafts in to see if it leaks just the way it is.

I ruled out the breather on top because it was intact and it leaks with out even moving.

Yes, I am talking to myself.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

My pic for reference:

Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
Account Disabled

yep them freking o-rings are a pain ,,, like you said a little nick on the o-ring bamm they leak.

GL and keep us posted
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

yep them freking o-rings are a pain ,,, like you said a little nick on the o-ring bamm they leak.

GL and keep us posted
The o ring is not suspect, but the seal is. The seal is what keeps the T case fluid in, not the o ring ( IIRC). So I gotta check that "shaft" real well that the oil seal slips over for any oddities.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
Account Disabled

i am not sure about that.

iam under the impression that the o-ring if damaged or pinched will let TC fluid drip out
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is it coming out of the crankshaft oil seal?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

i am not sure about that.

iam under the impression that the o-ring if damaged or pinched will let TC fluid drip out

I thought the o ring was for the trans..... Can anyone please verify this?

And sblvro, I don't think it is, because I had no issues with my old tcase, just this new one.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:08 PM

There is a third seal between the tc and the gearbox, a small o-ring (MD743612) on the oil return pipe. Be carefull, the front diff is lubricate by the gearbox oil, the crown pinion is lubricate by the tc oil. A leak between tc and gearbox is surely gearbox's oil.

This tc is a non acd one but it's the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced TC, found a leak, replaced o ring and seal....still leaking!!!!!!-0607.jpg  
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man, i'll replace that too and see how it goes.

I'm gonna pull it again for the third time this weekend.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuv
There is a third seal between the tc and the gearbox, a small o-ring (MD743612) on the oil return pipe. Be carefull, the front diff is lubricate by the gearbox oil, the crown pinion is lubricate by the tc oil. A leak between tc and gearbox is surely gearbox's oil.

This tc is a non acd one but it's the same thing.

I was told that the o ring for that location is only for the ACD equipped Evos. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I just want to have all my eggs in a basket before I pull it out again.

According to my parts printout for an 04 Evo with out ACD, it is not listed. The only two that can be suspect are the oil seal, and the large o ring. Both of which are on the drivers side of the case that mates to the trans. Parts # 4 and 3 in the diagram.

If my t case is leaking from there, is there anything else I need to be looking for? Aside from those two items?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I am getting really sick of pulling this damn thing.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:22 PM

What is your transmission id ? W5M51 , W6MAA ?

Here the parts i found for the transfer case, the o ring is the PN 30289S.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced TC, found a leak, replaced o ring and seal....still leaking!!!!!!-tc.jpg  
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuv
What is your transmission id ? W5M51 , W6MAA ?

Here the parts i found for the transfer case, the o ring is the PN 30289S.

Wow, thank you ever so much for the info. I went to my local mitsu dealer and ordered, the oil seal, the larger o ring, and the one that you pointed out. Hopefully it cures the leak. I'm going to go over it real well just to make sure this is the last time I pull her out.

Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Replaced TC, found a leak, replaced o ring and seal....still leaking!!!!!!