Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost gauge and vacuum readings dilemma. car runs rough.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boost gauge and vacuum readings dilemma. car runs rough.

I was at an autox event today. During one of the runs I happened to pop off my tb hose clamp coming out of a turn at wot.. I pulled my car back to the paddock area and found my tb coupley blown off. installed a t-bolt clamp and started the car back up. no problems so far.
I shut the car back off, start it back up before I go run another lap, and find that my boost gauge is reading 0 at idle!! I rev it up, nothing, does not move. Before I decide to pit back in I see that my boost gauge reading decides to be functional again. So I proceed another run with no problem.
After I pulled back in, I notice that after I restarted the car, it would again do the same thing-- boost gauge reading 0. I disconnected the battery for 20 min, still same thing. I inspected vacuum lines and visual inspeciton of sensors to make sure that while the clamp blew off it didnt disconnect a sensor or damage the vacuum line. All seems well. idk..
I do notice that when the boost gauge is reading 0 at idle, I turn my a/c on, it runs like crap. RPMs do not increase.
I do not think it would be a damaged vacuum line since after a while of driving it works fine. Funny thing, but when the gauge is working it seems like my car is running better than before this dilemma, but it could just be me.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like there is a boost leak somewhere else.
Odds are; if your still rocking the stock worm clamps and or stock hoses your leaking. Check the intercooler couplers, UICP, LICP and the hoses running to your DV. Hopefully its just a stupid leak. Samething happened to my buddy, his UICP blew off right by his TB.

good luck fixing it.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

hoping thats all it is. How would that effect the boost gauge itself from reading vacuum levels at idle though? I get no vac or boost until its been driven for like 5 min.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
hoping thats all it is. How would that effect the boost gauge itself from reading vacuum levels at idle though? I get no vac or boost until its been driven for like 5 min.
How much boost are you currently getting right now????
whats the boostgauge telling you???? If stock you should be at 18/19 psi.

Last edited by huevosrancheros; Jun 27, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
How much boost are you currently getting right now????
whats the boostgauge telling you???? If stock you should be at 18/19 psi.

I went back outside after the engine cooled down a bit. I checked all the clamps from turbo to tb. all those were good. checked to make sure when the clamp blew off it didnt hit and loosen up a sensor. all good. I found the vacuum line that tees to my boost gauge was slightly backed out a bit. snugged it back down and did several ignition cycles and drove around the block. I guess that did it, hopefully. So far so good. I really am hoping thats just what it was and this doesnt start acting up again. Cant mod the car when Im spending money on maintenance,hehe. Thanks for the input though.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Now its reading ok. I am getting max ~21 psi and tapers down to 17 psi above 5600 rpm or so.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

hmm. Happened once more. Car runs fine, but when you shut it off and restart it seems like the needle gets stuck at 0. After a while the needle drops to where it should be. once driving the gauge works fine, car runs fine. every once in a while when you start it up the needle seems to me like its stuck at 0. I have a 52mm prosport mechanical gauge, btw. ( 3 months old)
Could I use a mighty vac connected to the vac line to the boost gauge, and pull vac on it and test to see if the needle moves? I want to isolate the issue without throwing parts at if I dont have to. I was thinking if I pull vac on it to simulate manifold vacuum and test the guage itself to isolate it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
hmm. Happened once more. Car runs fine, but when you shut it off and restart it seems like the needle gets stuck at 0. After a while the needle drops to where it should be. once driving the gauge works fine, car runs fine. every once in a while when you start it up the needle seems to me like its stuck at 0. I have a 52mm prosport mechanical gauge, btw. ( 3 months old)
Could I use a mighty vac connected to the vac line to the boost gauge, and pull vac on it and test to see if the needle moves? I want to isolate the issue without throwing parts at if I dont have to. I was thinking if I pull vac on it to simulate manifold vacuum and test the guage itself to isolate it.
sounds like a great idea. Maybe its the gauge???
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
sounds like a great idea. Maybe its the gauge???

hmm... Would suck if its the gauge.. Its only been on the car 3months, and I have only driven the car 1400 miles in those 3 months,heh.
I connected the mighty vac to the boost gauge vacuum line. I tested it at 5in hg, and at 15 in hg. It held vacuum fine so I know there is no leak in the line. I dont think there is a kink in the line because the mighty vac gauge and the prosport gauge were reading the same values each time.
Im leaning more towards a randomly sticking needle on my gauge because I couldnt duplicate it with the mighty vac, but low and behold when I reconnected the vacuum line to the car and started it up-- it stuck for 30 sec then worked fine.. ughh. If thats all it is then Im not worried about my car being screwed up, but since this gauge is practically still new I should have a chat with the guys at prosport.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I know this is old but did you ever find the issue? I'm seeing the same systems on my evo 8. Happened driving to work this morning. My boost gauge was running fine and seeing vacuum. Now it's stuck at 0 but reads boost when I get on the throttle. I"m thinking it might be a loose hose or vacuum line but I won't know until I get home from work today and inspect.