Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JE Pistons Pro Series FSR Forged Pistons 22mm pin 4G63 DSM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
JE Pistons Pro Series FSR Forged Pistons 22mm pin 4G63 DSM

Anyone have experience with these new pistons from JE that are standard bore for the eclipse, (I have an Evo III).
I currently have some 85mm wiseco installed and want to know if any boring would have to take place to put in these new ones.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles on the engine? It's probably necessary to bore your block to ensure that it is straight/round. A quick inspection after disassembly will let you know. If you need to bore the block, they also have .020" oversized pistons too.

I know several people running these new parts and they are very happy.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
What material are your pistons made from?
We use two different materials, 2618 & 4032. 2618 is used in most of our severe duty / power adder applications. It requires slightly more piston to wall clearance and can stand up to the abuse of a power adder. 4032 is used for applications that are more on the mild side. 4032 has less of a expansion rate which allows us to use it with tighter piston to wall clearances. This is great for direct replacement factory pistons.

The new fsr pistons are 4032. If you want that material for lower HP use the Mahle cannot be beat for quality. I have used every piston out and the quality of the Mahle is tops.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have 200,000KM on the car.
At about 160,000 I built the bottom end with Wiseco pistons 85mm and eagle rods, however, the rings took a blow this weekend (they have been getting a lot of abuse over the past few years)

Reason I dont want to bore my block is because where I live, in the Cayman Islands, we don't have good machine shops at all.
Should I just go back with Wiseco pistons then?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj
I have 200,000KM on the car.
At about 160,000 I built the bottom end with Wiseco pistons 85mm and eagle rods, however, the rings took a blow this weekend (they have been getting a lot of abuse over the past few years)

Reason I dont want to bore my block is because where I live, in the Cayman Islands, we don't have good machine shops at all.
Should I just go back with Wiseco pistons then?
Regardless of your piston choice, you will likely need to hone the block for best results. If you can't do this, it really doesn't matter what pistons you use but Wiseco would be a logical choice if happy with the current setup.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yeh honing the block is no problem. My mechanic has equipement to do that.
What I just want to avoid is going to the machine shop to get the block bored for an oversized piston.

Those new JE standard bore ones look promising though, I really think I'm going to get them.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There is no such thing as having blown rings and a good bore. Once the rings go bad it takes the bore with it. You need to go oversize bore.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj
Yeh honing the block is no problem. My mechanic has equipement to do that.
What I just want to avoid is going to the machine shop to get the block bored for an oversized piston.

Those new JE standard bore ones look promising though, I really think I'm going to get them.
You can try to get away with just a hone, but you can't go much more than .001" larger because your piston to cylinder wall clearance will become too large with off-the-shelf parts. It's also unlikely that the bores will be good enough if that little material is removed. If you must hone the block only, have the machine shop go as large as necessary with the hone to clean up the bores and order custom pistons. Custom pistons will cost a little more, but will work for your needs. JE can make custom pistons for you in 2-3 weeks.

If not, bore AND hone the block and go with these .5mm oversize:
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/J...0-Pistons.html
Old Feb 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
What material are your pistons made from?
We use two different materials, 2618 & 4032. 2618 is used in most of our severe duty / power adder applications. It requires slightly more piston to wall clearance and can stand up to the abuse of a power adder. 4032 is used for applications that are more on the mild side. 4032 has less of a expansion rate which allows us to use it with tighter piston to wall clearances. This is great for direct replacement factory pistons.

The new fsr pistons are 4032. If you want that material for lower HP use the Mahle cannot be beat for quality. I have used every piston out and the quality of the Mahle is tops.
I believe the New JE FSR Pistons are 2618 material. i am interested on some real feedback on these pistons as well. below is some info as well as the link for more info.

http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/Sp...bishi/evo.aspx

•Crown requires no deburring or preparation
•2618 T6 high tensile forged aluminum
•NEW ASYMMETRICAL FSR forging! State of the art asymmetrical skirt technology reduces friction and mass while providing a more rigid and durable platform (Skirt Style F).
•In this environment, higher boost levels or heavy nitrous usage necessitate JE's wrought 2618 alloy.
•FSR pistons include offset pins for quiet operation.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Not strutted all the way, better than the old JE's but not a Wiseco.