Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA Green vs. BBK

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Every thread you are going to see comparing the two will turn out like this one... an argument. Someone (hopefully a respectable shop) will have a built 2.0 test car and do just a simple turbo swap between these two and post up numbers. I was hoping that Mike@AWD was going to in their stock framed turbo shootout, but he passed on doing the HTA Green and went for another HTA turbo... Not sure which actually..

FWIW I just made ~500/500 on a DynoDynamics with the HTA Green on a built 2.1
no you did not make 500/500 where is your dyno graph??? lol just being messy. how you enjoying that BR 2.1 worth the coin so far?? you maybe thinking about going 2.3 or 2.4 later?
Old May 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will post it in good time my friend. I am upgrading intercoolers first. This Greddy one is only a 3" core, I need a 4" and I will gain at least another 20/10 or so.... I don't want to post two numbers so I will wait until the best and then post.

I will never change motors. This has the perfect combination, increase in displacement and spool with more down low torque while still being able to rev to 10,000 if I wanted to... Perfect street setup if you ask me. I am biased though, it is my car!
Old May 24, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AznDragonV
has anyone proven if or if not the standard green (original green) can make the same power on the new HTA green?
FP designed the new Green for a reason...
Old May 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
FP designed the new Green for a reason...
I know there has to be a reason, but I just wanted to see if anyone has done an actual comparison.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
....I will never change motors. This has the perfect combination, increase in displacement...
Wow, big deal, a 25cc increase in swept volume per cylinder. ThatŽs roughly equivalent to one of those radio controlled hobby planes. Gee!

Last edited by sparky; May 24, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Wow, big deal, a 25cc increase in swept volume per cylinder. ThatŽs roughly equivalent to one of those radio controlled hobby planes. Gee!
You can notice an increase in spool. When I do a writeup you will see it spools at least 300rpm sooner than with the 2.0 liter. Not a huge difference, but with a turbo that already spools in the low-mid 3000's you can feel the difference, significantly. That is just one reason why I like the motor too, however. The high rev's and better low end torque make it a quality combination I think...
Old May 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

how much sooner would a 2.4 have vs 2.0 then if your seeing 300rpms sooner guezzzzzzzzzzzz

SUP SPARKY long time no talk i see you got your red installed and did not even let me know
Old May 24, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

You can notice an increase in spool. When I do a writeup you will see it spools at least 300rpm sooner than with the 2.0 liter. Not a huge difference, but with a turbo that already spools in the low-mid 3000's you can feel the difference, significantly. That is just one reason why I like the motor too, however. The high rev's and better low end torque make it a quality combination I think...
That could be the CR moreso over the displacement. Did you go 9:1 by any chance?
Old May 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Booztd 3
That could be the CR moreso over the displacement. Did you go 9:1 by any chance?
Nope. This is why I am pretty certain it is the displacement. A few other things were tweaked too during the build. Head is now stage 3, etc. All of which could play a factor.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1402

This is the motor I am running.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

buchnerj: DonŽt pay me no mind as I am just envious. Great choice on the motor definitely
Old May 24, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
...SUP SPARKY long time no talk i see you got your red installed and did not even let me know
Rockster: I should legally not be including the Red in my mods yet. I have it basically bolted up but I still have to remount the radiator and etc. I did preload the f**k out of the WGA actually as I just bottomed the threads on the actuator rod out, IŽll PM you my impressions as soon as I make the final adjustments and take it for the virgin voyage. Take care Bud!
Old May 24, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Nope. This is why I am pretty certain it is the displacement. A few other things were tweaked too during the build. Head is now stage 3, etc. All of which could play a factor.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1402

This is the motor I am running.
From Buschur's site....(your link)

What is included in this block? With the Buschur Racing 2.1L shortblock you will receive:

1 - Crank shaft
1 - Thrust Bearing
1 - set of Pistons Rings
1 - Set of Rod Bearings
1 - Set of Main Bearings
1 - Water Pump (Needed for 2.1)
1 - Head Gasket (Needed for 2.1)
1 - Set of BR Spec Manley Turbo Tough Connecting Rods
1 - Set of BR Spec Manley Performance Coated Forged Pistons

Compression Ratio: 10:1

Like I was saying, I'm willing to bet that has a good deal to do with your butt dyno....
Old May 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Rockster: I should legally not be including the Red in my mods yet. I have it basically bolted up but I still have to remount the radiator and etc. I did preload the f**k out of the WGA actually as I just bottomed the threads on the actuator rod out, IŽll PM you my impressions as soon as I make the final adjustments and take it for the virgin voyage. Take care Bud!
did you port the hell out of it like you did the green or just swap hotsides. You have not even looked at my build thread your making me sad buddy
Old May 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

a 100 cc increase is worth about 5 motor hp on a normally aspirated engine. It is just not that big of a deal. On the old SOHC BMW 4 cylinder engines each increase from 1600cc, to 1800cc, to 2000cc, was worth about 10 D.I.N.

Sure, on a forced induction engine you would expect a larger power increase. But, maybe instead of a 10 DIN increase per 200cc volume increase on a normally aspirated engine you would expect a 15 DIN increase for every 200cc increase in displacement.

On the BR 2.1L engine how much of a gain in power can you realistically expect from an increase of just 25cc per cylinder over a 2.0L motor?. Do you think that 100cc is the volume contained in a shot glass? It just seems insignificant to me.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
did you port the hell out of it like you did the green or just swap hotsides. You have not even looked at my build thread your making me sad buddy
Naw, I just slapped it on unported. I am getting old. Post a link to your build thread for me Rockster and I am over there.

Quick Reply: HTA Green vs. BBK