Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA Green vs. BBK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
but the potential is there none the less. this is just the answer the question about draggin with the BBK. true there is no real comparasion with both turbos yet but i think the BBK can hold its own.

we really do not know about the E.T.s because no one has posted them yet. how many HTA green cars hit the 130's?

think about it though. i would venture to say that the FP line of turbos are meant for more top end and of course since they are stock turbo based you see midrange gains as well. the BBK was designed for the broader powerband in mind. two totally different mindsets went into creating each turbo. its been said that the BBK was meant for under 30psi applications while the FP green, red and Black all shine very well with high boost levels. just like not all 272 cams are the same. some will net you more top end and some will net you a broader power band.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9
but the potential is there none the less. this is just the answer the question about draggin with the BBK. true there is no real comparasion with both turbos yet but i think the BBK can hold its own.

we really do not know about the E.T.s because no one has posted them yet. how many HTA green cars hit the 130's?

think about it though. i would venture to say that the FP line of turbos are meant for more top end and of course since they are stock turbo based you see midrange gains as well. the BBK was designed for the broader powerband in mind. two totally different mindsets went into creating each turbo. its been said that the BBK was meant for under 30psi applications while the FP green, red and Black all shine very well with high boost levels. just like not all 272 cams are the same. some will net you more top end and some will net you a broader power band.
I got my HTA Green up to 129 in my full weight daily driver.. not sure how close any customer cars are with BBK's to that but regardless... I think the idea with the Red and Black IS to run some good quality fuel and turn the boost up.. the HTA Green is good for pump gas though. Problem on EvoM is the various dyno's and the way shops have been representing the data.. I remember the only BBK dyno I saw taken on a dynojet in 3rd gear, everyone thought there was something wrong with the guys car cause it wasn't showing some crazy 3400 rpm torqe peak like the other ones which were being used to show how great the spool is... well Hello, mustang dyno 4th gear is night and day compared to the graph you'll get 3rd gear dynojet like what mine was dyno'd on. (and then there's the endless charts showing the BBK outperforming the old Green that's not even available anymore ) IMO we just have to wait for a real back to back comparison... hopefully we get that soon
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribe
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
FP turnaround time sucks. But I would wait 4 hours on pancakes if they were best in the world. If you guys want to be impatient and choose an inferior performing turbo that is certainly your choice. I am still laughing though. Here is what the current data suggests for these turbos:

The Tomie is extremely close to BBK. Here is flow of current turbos. and wheel size.
69mm Tomie, original green.
70mm BBK
73mm HTA Green

Green 47lb/min
Tomie 49lb/min
BBK 50lb/min
HTA Green 54lb/min

Turbos dont make great HP. Good setups do.
Personally I think the dynamic force behind a turbocharger literally is the turbine wheel .
Actually I'm having a hard time working out which TD06 RR 11 bladed turbine is which .
From looking at pics it seems the CBRD BBK Full is using the standard TD06 11 bladed turbine but not sure about the HTA Green . If you look closely at turbine pics the one FP uses looks larger and uses thinner section blades .
If I had to guess I'd say the BBK Fulls turbine is smaller possibly lighter and has the rotating assembly zipping up a bit sooner and bringing the torque rise with it .

Its always critical to match wheel speeds with turbines and compressors , it shows up in turbine response .
Also boring out turbine housings , IMO less is best because it changes the housings nozzle shape and that affects turbine efficiency .
What a pity there is no TD06 twin scroll turbine housings in Evo format .

Don't forget to keep an eye out for results with the HKS BB Evo turbo . I have a feeling they are going to be good .

A .
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still dont know why a back to back hasnt been done on these turbos. they have been out for long enough. its as if people are being asked to hide the results or something. makes no sense to me. we even have vendors here saying they will have results in a WEEK. its been MONTHS, yet no back to back.
im still debating on what turbo to buy, and was hoping for those results.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

+1 updates?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:58 AM

There is a post on SoCalEvo.net. Reese tuning HTA Green. Talks about both turbos.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

link?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverMr
There is a post on SoCalEvo.net. Reese tuning HTA Green. Talks about both turbos.

i goodled it and found sauce
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
Account Disabled

I think the fp line of turbos have a lot of room for the owner to make improvments where it seems the bbk has its limits.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by victoryred
I think the fp line of turbos have a lot of room for the owner to make improvments where it seems the bbk has its limits.
I agree with that - the BBK stopped making power past 30 psi basically for me. If your want 30-40 whp up top over the BBK then get the HTA Green /thread
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

So can we take this to read that the BBK Full comes on a little earlier and tapers off a little before the FP Green ?

Must get onto that linked site , cheers A .
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
bump so..
on pump 93, <28 psi.. which turbo has it?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be posting a review of the BBK vs. HTA Green soon (same car, same conditions, etc.). Just looking at the reported flow ratings the turbos I suspect I will see 40 - 50 whp more with the HTA Green. What will be interesting is reporting on the 'transient response' as that is something a dyno cannot answer. From the people I have spoken to that run the HTA Green, response is awesome, so again I suspect I'll be happy .

More to come ....
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cij: Sorry to hear about your BBK's untimely exit. Will you be using the FP oil feedline upgrade on your new Green? Also, which compressor housing configuration will you be going with? Good luck

Last edited by sparky; Aug 12, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: HTA Green vs. BBK