Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA Green vs. BBK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
Don't need the kit just the oil feed line, but fp said now the price went up to $250 from $150. Could do without the actuator but it seems as though the compressor housing is a must. Can the stock bottom end handle this turbo?
Absolutely the stock motor can handle the HTA Green - as long as you don't go nuts with boost and torque. I will likely have a lower initial boost and then gradually increase boost - have slightly less torque in the lower rpms. The rule of thumb is to keep torque under 400 - 450 ft lbs (the lower the better for engine stress).
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
You should get the upgraded oil line though....And if I had a BBK I would get the FP oil line based on FPs data....
so can you confirm that the FP oil line fits the BBK? They both use the same fittings since they're both the stock ix turbo housing, correct?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lttletimmy
so can you confirm that the FP oil line fits the BBK? They both use the same fittings since they're both the stock ix turbo housing, correct?
EDIT: I reread my own words and I give a pretty shabby explanation.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 4, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lttletimmy
Yes.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Large Intake - Yes

Speed Density - Possibly

Clutch - ACT (no lockout on mine)

Cams - May sell my Kelfords and keep stock
cij911, may I ask why you plan to stick with the stock cams?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
cij911, may I ask why you plan to stick with the stock cams?
Sure, lol, because I can't find anyone that I trust to install them...I know that is silly, but it is true....I spoke to GMG - the guys that do work on my euro cars - and they did not give me the 'confidence' I need....There are two shops that are ~1 1/2 hrs away, but then I'd need to get a rental car b/c I can't ask a friend or wife to drive 3 + hrs...Honestly just a PITA...

Yes, I have thought about doing the cams myself....
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

^Trust me man, if I can install cams anyone can. Just take your time and clear a whole Saturday for it. I am looking toward to your review and comparison of both turbos.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sure, lol, because I can't find anyone that I trust to install them....There are two shops that are ~1 1/2 hrs away....
Isn't RRE just a bit up the road from you?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mueller (muellerized) is in socal. He is in Costa Mesa. he can install the cams for you as well.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

So I am kind of torn here between the new BBK-B and the Green 73HTA. Just based on flow rates alone the Green seems to fit my plan. But if the B has similar spool and transient response then why not have a few extra ponies with room to grow with 5 more lb/min of flow? And quite honestly, CBRD's customer service and the fact they are literally 59.5 miles from my house has a LOT to do with my final decision. I just hope we get more results from both of these turbos over the next few months. Cij911, looking forward to your write up/comparison of the Full and Green.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
install kit if you had 8 turbo is 250. it includes all parts to install 9 style turbo on a 8 car. includes the 150 oil feed line/filter.

Question... I bought my evo 8 3 years ago with the original FP green already on.
Im gonna order the HTA green this month, would I still need to order the install kit even though I already have an FP turbo on the car?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluefire7002
Question... I bought my evo 8 3 years ago with the original FP green already on.
Im gonna order the HTA green this month, would I still need to order the install kit even though I already have an FP turbo on the car?
Yes but only the install kit for the IX since you have the water and oil lines for the IX compressor housing, not the VIII (saves you $100). You have to do the upgraded oil lines and pressure regulator to go with the newer steel bearings in the HTA73. You could do BBK Full and not have to though.

Last edited by TURBevO8; Oct 14, 2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TURBevO8
You have to do the upgraded oil lines and pressure regulator to go with the newer steel bearings in the HTA73.
I thought the FP oil thread said the HTA green did not have the steel on steel bearings, only the red and black do.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluefire7002
... I bought my evo 8 3 years ago with the original FP green already on....Im gonna order the HTA green this month, would I still need to order the install kit even though I already have an FP turbo on the car?
If your Green is configured with a IX compressor housing then you won't need to purchase an install kit. I just don't remember if all Greens came with the IX comp hsg or not. Were there any early Greens with VIII comp housings?

I get the early Greens mixed up with the Buschur Racing 20G's. Does anyone else remember that turbo? Maybe there never was an VIII-Green( but there was a BR VIII 20G). In which case the OP would not need the install kit.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
I thought the FP oil thread said the HTA green did not have the steel on steel bearings, only the red and black do.
I looked on FP's site and it states for the Green 73HTA you need that kit. I only assume it is for steel on steel bearings. Or maybe just for added safety factor for the steel on brass. But either way, look on their site.

Quick Reply: HTA Green vs. BBK