Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throwout bearing noise? Could clutch adjustment reduce it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you can figure out whats wrong w/ ur car let me know... had a similar problem w/ mine... had a knock but when i pushed down on the clutch it would go away... noise started out small then became loud... now im replacing the whole motor... i got answer from thrust bearings to throwout bearings to rod bearings to main bearings... good luck!!!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idk man mine was like that for a loooong time. I showed it no mercy and it never gave me a problem. I changed my fluid and that helped quit it down alot though.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:46 AM

inputshaft

Yes , the input shaft bearing is in the transmission , you will take it apart to replace it ""
Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

I've had my evo for 200k plus miles and its never had those noises until now recently replaced my clutch with a semi stock kit and boom, I find myself diggin thru these threads lookin for hope. Subscribed!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:27 PM

My car is making a noise like this too https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ease-help.html Is that the noise you guys are hearing from right behind the drivers side wheel?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

It seems that what most of you are describing is gear rattle and not associated with the TOB. The reason for gear rattle noise from the transmission is that the torsional vibrations of the engine are very strong on a turbo 4 cyl engine and is worse with power increases or other modifications. Normally the clutch disc springs and a heavy flywheel help to damp out most of these vibrations. The ways to test and rule out TOB issues are explained with the following questions:
1. Does the noise get worse after the car has been driven or on a warmer day? - Gear noise gets worse as the oil gets warm and thins-
2. Does the noise go away when the clutch is disengaged (pedal most of the way down)? - When the clutch is disengaged, the input shaft stops spinning, but the TOB still does -
3. Does it occur at idle in neutral (clutch engaged - pedal up) and change when the air conditioning is turned on? - The load change from the air conditioning usually changes the gear rattle noise, but wouldn't have any affect on TOB noise -
4. Does the noise remain consistent when push on the clutch pedal a small amount? - If there is a TOB issue, a small load applied to the pedal (and the TOB) should change the noise significantly -

If you answer yes to these, then the TOB is not the problem. Most likely you have normal gear noise. There may still be a chance you have a transmission problem, but that depends on the noise. I hope that helps!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:02 AM

ACT man you rock! Thanks for this. I have the ACT HD clutch, and if I push in the clutch at idle, the noise goes away. At idle if I turn the A/C on, the noise does get slightly louder. I have Crawford M2 cams and a big turbo upgrade ect. I was worried the noise was a throwout bearing or input shaft.

My car has been doing this for about 1200 miles now and it hasnt gotten worse it has stayed constant. Are you saying this is pretty normal?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Corbin09
ACT man you rock! Thanks for this. I have the ACT HD clutch, and if I push in the clutch at idle, the noise goes away. At idle if I turn the A/C on, the noise does get slightly louder. I have Crawford M2 cams and a big turbo upgrade ect. I was worried the noise was a throwout bearing or input shaft.

My car has been doing this for about 1200 miles now and it hasnt gotten worse it has stayed constant. Are you saying this is pretty normal?
From my keyboard diagnosis it sounds pretty normal. Although it can be annoying, no significant harm is caused by the gear noise. The noise is actually a rattle of the gear lash between the gear teeth (not the input shaft) and not the TOB or input shaft. The rears are "excited" by the violent torsional pulses of the engine and the result is a rattle of the gear lash.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:55 PM

Yeah that is normal sound, after going from stock clutch and flywheel to performance clutch and lightweight flywheel. I have more noise too and I've had 2 track days and a few autocrosses with no issues.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this same issue. It was my TOB. I had an ACT HDSS clutch and OEM TOB. I got about 30k on it before the TOB went KABOOM.. I replaced my clutch and TOB and no noise. So that was the root cause of my rattle noise and did the same thing noise would go away when I would push the clutch pedal in. Was awful at a red light just sitting
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thedru13
I had this same issue. It was my TOB. I had an ACT HDSS clutch and OEM TOB. I got about 30k on it before the TOB went KABOOM.. I replaced my clutch and TOB and no noise. So that was the root cause of my rattle noise and did the same thing noise would go away when I would push the clutch pedal in. Was awful at a red light just sitting
I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. You may have had an OEM TOB go bad after 30K, but I don't think that was your noise. Bearings just spin and generally don't make noise until they are failing. There is no difference to a failed TOB when you push on the pedal a small amount and when the pedal is to the floor, so if the noise stops when the pedal is near the floor, the TOB is not the source of the noise. The bearing is still under load and spinning at the floor, just as it is when you just start to push the pedal. I hope the description helps.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:58 PM

Same sound on my wife's GSR with 68k miles(had the sound when we bought it). my MR with 30k miles is starting to develop this noise.

I can hear it at idle with the clutch out, As soon as I push the clutch in it stops.
When I'm on dcel and im letting the motor slow me down I can hear it the most, Push in the clutch and it goes away.
A/C makes it louder at idle
At higher RPM(around 6-7k) its really loud.

Last edited by littlewack; Aug 29, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What you are saying makes sense.. When I took off my trans my TOB was mangled. I have had my 6speed trans off a few times so I understand how the mechanics work. I had a few others look as well. You could see the TOB rattling around when you pulled the inspection plug.

So when i replaced my TOB and replaced my clutch i have zero noise now.. So this is just my experience. to the OP at the end of the day you will have to pull the trans at some point to find out what is going on..

Originally Posted by ACTman
I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. You may have had an OEM TOB go bad after 30K, but I don't think that was your noise. Bearings just spin and generally don't make noise until they are failing. There is no difference to a failed TOB when you push on the pedal a small amount and when the pedal is to the floor, so if the noise stops when the pedal is near the floor, the TOB is not the source of the noise. The bearing is still under load and spinning at the floor, just as it is when you just start to push the pedal. I hope the description helps.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:08 PM

tob

when i did my clutch my tob was mangled too becouse thats what happened trying to get it to release from the flywheel total pain! my 03 has made the noise for a while now its getting much louder. my car used to throw p0300 all the time but my tuner deleted the code from my ecu's vocabulary. but the noise makes my car sound like a pos! accel=no noise/ decel=loud noise also rattle sound at idle coming from tranny with hood up and behind driver front wheel when closed... (act clutch, throw out bearing, resurfaced flywheel)

Last edited by 603evo; Nov 8, 2012 at 04:44 PM.