Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spec clutch for evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spec clutch for evo 9

Just wanted say that we waited a long time to put this in but last night was a success. We installed the spec clutch last night and there are no words that describe the way that clutch feels. It is so wonderful that i didn't even think i installed the clutch pedal pressure is just like stock or even lighter, engagement is indescribable so easy on drive train , the drivablility on the clutch on accel and decel has no harsh vibrations , very smooth shifting you just have to drive it to believe it. But when you put power down on it smooth shifting at high rpm , and on idle there is hardly any rattle chatter klinking , klanking or anything . Like is said it is indescribable if you would like to feel it let us know , thanks for reading

Last edited by MIGHTYMOUSE1; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I would have to agree with this. The feel of the clutch is incredible. If I didn't know it was a twin disc there would be no way to tell. I heard very little chatter and the engagement is as smooth as silk.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gorgeous clutch. i know a lot of ls GM guys use and love this clutch. I am hoping to get one to install this winter.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

How stiff is it, like in heavy traffic does your leg start to cramp.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much they going for?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:04 PM

man!!!! that looks awesome. How much are they?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I have one in my car (P-Trim), as does Drifto. Actually, he talked me into it, and I'm glad he did. We both came from QM and Tilton clutches into SPEC Super Twins. The quality and operation of the SPEC unit has the car feeling like a Porsche GT2, not a tin can rattletrap with no torque.

If you look closely at the photos, you'll see that one hub is sprung and the other isn't. This clutch has a lot of torque capacity, but is relatively quiet and feels completely refined. It's grabbier than a factory clutch, but not so much that it takes the fun out of it. They did a very good job with this clutch. I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrlewis0550
The pedal is no stiffer maybe even lighter than the stock clutch. I am telling you, it is so easy to drive, you can't tell it is a twin disc.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

where did you purchase from and how much did it run ya?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine from cvr motorsports on here. 35k on mine and still feels great.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

I will tell you hands down this is the best clutch i ever drove in my life. From act , clutch master , fidanza , centerforce , carbonetics , tilton , quatermaster , hks , ect......... I would recommend this clutch to anyone this is am clutch of choice.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I have one in my car (P-Trim), as does Drifto. Actually, he talked me into it, and I'm glad he did. We both came from QM and Tilton clutches into SPEC Super Twins. The quality and operation of the SPEC unit has the car feeling like a Porsche GT2, not a tin can rattletrap with no torque.

If you look closely at the photos, you'll see that one hub is sprung and the other isn't. This clutch has a lot of torque capacity, but is relatively quiet and feels completely refined. It's grabbier than a factory clutch, but not so much that it takes the fun out of it. They did a very good job with this clutch. I highly recommend it.
Hehe, I called walker before I ordered mine. They have one that has sprung hubs for both, its the step below the P-trim iirc, but I love my P

Originally Posted by jrlewis0550
Its no stiffer than the stock clutch was, just engages faster.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Can someone recommend a shop to order this clutch from? So far I have gone through 2 shops that can not deliver this clutch. First shop wasted a week of my time and the second so far 3 weeks.....
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

You can get it straight from SPEC, but there are other vendors on this forum that also sell it.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same clutch, but I am having trouble with it. I installed it, and it simply slipped without ever engaging. I could see it slipping when I took the bellhousing cover by the starter off and looked inside. Now I pulled the trans and took it out, but I cannot figure out what is wrong. I compared to all of the OP's photos, and the only discrepency is the thickness of the trans side disk. The OP's is 8.40mm, and mine is 8.13mm.

Also, MightyMouse, do you remember how much the bolts had to pull in the pressure plate when tightening it to the flywheel? Mine almost sits on the flywheel without any bolts and I'm not sure if thats right. Also, anyone have one laying around that can measure the TOB so we can compare lengths, I'm wondering if my TOB was machined too long.

Here's mine without being bolted to the flywheel. Doesn't look right to me.

Quick Reply: Spec clutch for evo 9