Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kellford 272s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
...wait...wait, wait a minute here. Let me understand this correclty. You can tune the cams without utilizing cam gears? Tuning into this a little late, but reading what sounds to be just that? I am about to drop 272's in my eight. I was curious about tuning for the cams, and read the great cam thread about Silver Surfer finding the holy grail with setting the intake @ -4, and the exhaust @ -1? Is this the same thing, or being done as well as adjusting the actual cams -4/-1 degrees off of center? I will listen now.
The -4/-1 settings were for the HKS 272 cams ONLY. If you want to fine tune the Kelford cams, you will have to spend some time and do it yourself. IIRC, I have not heard of anyone doing that kind of testing for the Kelfords. So, barring any of your own testing, you'd want to start with running them straight up.

l8r)
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
- Timing at idle 9 degrees from 0-40 load and 0-1000 RPM
- Set and rescale your idle tables like I've done.

Better image added.

well i attempted to go with this map and it failed, my car with A/C on would just drop RPM and just flat out STALL. The tune i currently have is alot better and only stalls sometimes. I just thought i could get my car to not stall @ all like it was on the HKS 272s, but i guess i have to go AEM to make that happen
Old Jul 2, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
omg i wish i knew about this problem before buying my kelford cam's! this is the first time i'm hearing about the stalling issue. are you guys doing your own tuning?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad4g63
well i attempted to go with this map and it failed, my car with A/C on would just drop RPM and just flat out STALL. The tune i currently have is alot better and only stalls sometimes. I just thought i could get my car to not stall @ all like it was on the HKS 272s, but i guess i have to go AEM to make that happen
Did you also adjust the idle timing? What intake tube is on the car? What other parts changed when you installed the cams?

Last edited by jid2; Jul 2, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 06:06 PM

well especially with A/C ON is horrible
+1 on that!!!! ^^^^^^

the guy who built my motor is no joke at what he does and he had i hard time as well with the idle
Old Jul 2, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
omg i wish i knew about this problem before buying my kelford cam's! this is the first time i'm hearing about the stalling issue. are you guys doing your own tuning?
Bro do not be afraid... I have the same cams, I was skeptic when I read this however, when I asked some friends and a good tuner about these cams they pretty much said these cams work wonderfully when tuned right and you have a good setup.

Just make sure you have a good tuner around...
Old Jul 2, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Did you also adjust the idle timing? What intake tube is on the car? What other parts changed when you installed the cams?
I am not tuning smart. I changed all my idle setting to what u had on that picture screen but do not know how to change idle timing, i have the ETS intake
Old Jul 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was the intake on the car before you put the cams in, did it idle then? You may need MAF scaling to correct for the intake. What about injectors, did they change when you did cams, and have they been scaled correctly?

Just set your high octane timing map to 9 degrees in the upper left hand corner.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The -4/-1 settings were for the HKS 272 cams ONLY. If you want to fine tune the Kelford cams, you will have to spend some time and do it yourself. IIRC, I have not heard of anyone doing that kind of testing for the Kelfords. So, barring any of your own testing, you'd want to start with running them straight up.

l8r)
Thank you for the clarification.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

well i sorta give up, i think the only real solution is either go AEM or go back to the HKS 272
Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

well i sorta give up, i think the only real solution is either go AEM or go back to the HKS 272
Or find a competent tuner. I've seen at least half a dozen cars idle great with Kelford 272's and a proper tune.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

I am not tuning smart. I changed all my idle setting to what u had on that picture screen but do not know how to change idle timing, i have the ETS intake
I've also seen a few tuners have A LOT of trouble trying to tune the ETS intake correctly. Swap out the intake and find a good tuner for the cams.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Was the intake on the car before you put the cams in, did it idle then? You may need MAF scaling to correct for the intake. What about injectors, did they change when you did cams, and have they been scaled correctly?

Just set your high octane timing map to 9 degrees in the upper left hand corner.

I did this and it worked pretty well while i was stopped and i uploaded the map but the second i took off on the street and came to my first stop light it paused @ 500 for 1 second then it stalled

The timing was set @ 13 degrees before i changed it to 9, but i guess my car prefers the map it has on it now over the 9 degree change and Idle map changes

Originally Posted by tvieira24
I've also seen a few tuners have A LOT of trouble trying to tune the ETS intake correctly. Swap out the intake and find a good tuner for the cams.
Well 1 of the times i attempted to get tuned was by Jestr Tuning and he couldnt even get it to work correctly.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm, John knows his stuff....John was actually logging the car in person and diagnosing issues (or was it just a remote tune)? Have you checked your cam sensor?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Hmmmm, John knows his stuff....John was actually logging the car in person and diagnosing issues (or was it just a remote tune)? Have you checked your cam sensor?
yeah John is a great tuner, was tuning me on the HKS 272s before i switched to the Kelfords and nothing but A+ from him, but since the Kelfords no matter which tuner i go with

Im really debating switching back to HKS 272s, cuz taking a chance to go AEM EMS and then later finding out that the car still has a problem and its not the Stock ECU tuning that was the issue is gonna throw me a little over the edge

Quick Reply: Kellford 272s