Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kellford 272s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 272 Kelfords as well, and my Idle drops below 1000 and the car wants to stall. I have to keep pressing gas for few seconds to keep the RPM above 1000 and then everything starts working good again. This only happens once in a while, not often, but as a result I get CEL 172.. hmm
Old Jul 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad4g63
I did this and it worked pretty well while i was stopped and i uploaded the map but the second i took off on the street and came to my first stop light it paused @ 500 for 1 second then it stalled

The timing was set @ 13 degrees before i changed it to 9, but i guess my car prefers the map it has on it now over the 9 degree change and Idle map changes

Well 1 of the times i attempted to get tuned was by Jestr Tuning and he couldnt even get it to work correctly.
I have to agree, the ETS intake is a POS. I know, I have one. My car has never run right with it, idle dips, sometimes stalls, straight up horrible driveability. I'm just got the FP 3" silicone intake, to replace it for the RED.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Well if the ETS is so horrible what Intake do you guys recommend?

Buschur?
AMS?

i never thought 1 little metal pipe that is almost exactly the same as all the others would be such a problem, i mean all intake are approx. the same design inside, atleast i dont see much difference
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if the ETS is so horrible what Intake do you guys recommend?

Buschur?
AMS?

i never thought 1 little metal pipe that is almost exactly the same as all the others would be such a problem, i mean all intake are approx. the same design inside, atleast i dont see much difference
Do some research they are clearly different. Buschur's and ETS's are almost identical and both are known to cause idling issues. I personally run an amsoil filter, vibrant adapter and the stock intake tube but a couple friends have the Perrin intake which performs great and doesn't negatively affect the idle.

The problem is due to the maf's distance from the turbo as well as the turbulence caused by the bov dump and it's placement in relation to the maf.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
Do some research they are clearly different. Buschur's and ETS's are almost identical and both are known to cause idling issues. I personally run an amsoil filter, vibrant adapter and the stock intake tube but a couple friends have the Perrin intake which performs great and doesn't negatively affect the idle.

The problem is due to the maf's distance from the turbo as well as the turbulence caused by the bov dump and it's placement in relation to the maf.
well i have a K&N filter with the ETS intake tube, APS bov recirculating but it sits ontop of the intake.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol my car idles just fine with the ETS intake. If you scale the maf it will run just fine.

Johnbradely wouldn't say the ets intake is good if it wasn't.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Lol my car idles just fine with the ETS intake. If you scale the maf it will run just fine.

Johnbradely wouldn't say the ets intake is good if it wasn't.
It's a piece, and by you're by far the minority here. You're one positive review, doesn't outweigh the tons of negative here.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24

Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
It's a piece, and by you're by far the minority here. You're one positive review, doesn't outweigh the tons of negative here.
so then what do expect me to believe, that a rubber intake pipe is better than a metal one, like the ETS or Buschur? I mean if u look @ any big turbo, EVO SUPRA etc.... they all run hard pipe intakes and have ZERO problems.

I'm about to just call TurboTrix and have them custom fabricate me a 3" intake pipe, and upgrade the FP red to a 80mm housing.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

so then what do expect me to believe, that a rubber intake pipe is better than a metal one, like the ETS or Buschur? I mean if u look @ any big turbo, EVO SUPRA etc.... they all run hard pipe intakes and have ZERO problems.

I'm about to just call TurboTrix and have them custom fabricate me a 3" intake pipe, and upgrade the FP red to a 80mm housing.
I never said the rubber intake was better, I just said it didn't cause idle issues. This isn't a Supra, it's an EVO with an incredibly finicky air flow sensor. Some people have had success tuning the idle with the buschur and ets but the majority have not been able to. If you read on Buschur's website they even state that it's not a good idea to use their intake pipe on a stock maf car.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Realistically you've got to the point where you have enough "aftermarket" parts on the car that many things could be causing the issue. If you are not a skilled detective it can be very frustrating to resolve.

I have an intake that is similar in design to the ETS and Buschur. My car has 1450 sized injectors, a built motor without balance shafts, Kelford 272's, and E85 - it idles without issue. BUT, you need to know that a "laundry list" of things are working correctly. And that can be hard work.

Try putting your stock plastic intake on and see what happens.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

It isn't the hard pipe itself that presents the problem, it's the number of bends in which it has. The single bend intakes (ETS & Buschur, although BR has released a double bend in which he uses on Project White with MAF) bring air in, in a way the MAF doesn't like which causes it to act up (read a thread on it a while ago). Also a Supra, and Mitsu shouldn't be compared even though they are both ran on MAF, there are way too many variables. One can be far more "finnicky" than the other (different ECU's, scaling, brand of sensors etc.), such as ours are notorious for.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Jul 6, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I heard the Kelfords were blowing up the MIVECs anybody know the truth? I obviously have heard great things about the cams... and then started hearing rumors about them crapping out on the ix's???
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Im in the majority ETS Intake = My car doesnt fall to idle.

Tried a lot allready but I'll keep messing with it though. Just put the car back on full maf had the map to maf patch for a while. But untill I get a better handle on those tables and how to mess with them by then i'll just go full SD.

Sh!ty thing is not being stock turbo there is no real soft pipe option.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Nit3m4re
I heard the Kelfords were blowing up the MIVECs anybody know the truth? I obviously have heard great things about the cams... and then started hearing rumors about them crapping out on the ix's???
the old one's were snapping but they use a new core now!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO Nit3m4re
Not rumors. Look at the thread on this board about the Kelfords, Cosworths, and another company whose IX cams were breaking off at the oil groove for the Mivec... They have apparently gone to another core to try and solve the problem for the IXs. The VIII (non-Mivec) cams were never a problem....

Quick Reply: Kellford 272s