Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help...Forward O2 Sensor removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my car, the stock o2 sensor was cross threaded from the factory. It stripped the threads out of the o2 housing when I took it off. Luckily, I was replacing the o2 housing so it wasn't a big deal. I've read on there that this is a common occurrence when taking out the o2 sensor.

I wouldn’t be too mad at the dealer for the extra time it's taking. I'm sure they had to wait for the car to cool down before getting in there. It takes a while to get all the parts off the car to even begin working on getting the o2 housing off (exhaust, radiator, possibly the exhaust manifold). It took me 8-9 hours to do my o2 housing (i know doing it myself is not the same as a dealer, but it's still very time consuming). The o2 sensor/housing is a real PITA.

P.S. - you can get brand new Walker plug & play o2 sensor for $75 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

I have one on my car and it works fine. No wire splicing necessary.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:11 PM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
Thanks for all the wel wishes guys.

However, the pickup of the car did not go so well. While merging into traffic at 70mph, I quickly realized by the loud pop, the mechanic did not secure my LICP properly. Not a good thing, as while the car was quickly loosing momentum, the only area for me to pull ofer was in a newly constructed shoulder. Abd by newly constructed......I mean loosely packed dirt. Even though this thing is 4 wheel drive....it definately is not a 4x4.

Pissed off, I got out and pulled the MAF sensor so I could limp home faster that 10 mph. The wife suggested I take it back to the dealer, but by this time I am way t peeved at their incompetence.

Also, I noticed while I was in the engine bay.....he also failed to properly torque a bolt on the o2 housing. Hell.....he barely even threaded it in at all.

Damn this Stealership!!! Screw you Automax!!!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Should have used a blow torch on it, that's what I had to do on my o2 sensor..my car is an 03 so the o2 housing and sensor were as one.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Should have used a blow torch on it, that's what I had to do on my o2 sensor..my car is an 03 so the o2 housing and sensor were as one.

I asked the tech if he tried this....his reply "hmmm...that might have worked"
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all that for an 02 sensor lol
Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Ouch, doesn't sound like things got any better after the sensor was installed. Hopefully there was no paint damange from the little off-roading excursion.

Good luck in getting things buttoned up with the car.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 97TSiAWD
Ouch, doesn't sound like things got any better after the sensor was installed. Hopefully there was no paint damange from the little off-roading excursion.

Good luck in getting things buttoned up with the car.

No, no paint damage. Just had to spend alot of time spraying off the mud. Luckily I made it home in one piece and was able to get it back to running condition. The incompetence of some mechanics astounds me. Next time I will just bite the bullet and do it myself. I guess this is what I get for being too lazy to work on my own car in 105* heat.