Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant - What Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant - What Are You Using?

So it's definitely time for me to change my coolant.
I was thinking of maybe trying Amsoil's Antifreeze & Engine Coolant (ANT), but wanted to get an idea as to what everyone else has been using.

Post up what you're using!

Thanks.

-Jalal
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze is antifreeze isnt it? green, pink, blue, etc
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:45 PM

^^That is what I learned in HS Chemistry. But I use BG Super Cool with distilled water.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Has anyone used this: http://www.evanscooling.com/main20.htm

I was thinking of trying it. I have tried it in my Honda VTwin motorcycle and it worked well. What about our 4bangers?

Also, just a sweet thing I noticed today while working on the car, our radiators are built by Calsonic. I think that rocks...From the ol' Gran Turismo day's...lol.

Bout to do my 60 mile belt, pump, and hose replacment. Ordered Samco's for the radiator in and out, and then trying to find the Gates Perfomance Timing belts, etc.

So looking for the fluid to put back in and was looking at going with this setup. So if anyone has utilized this, please let us know. OP might like as well.

Last edited by Raceghost; Jul 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Bump!!!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just used normal green antifreeze with Redline water wetter. The Water Wetter seemed to help a little bit. I also changed to the Ralliart cool thermostat. So I was running at like 160F not 176F.

But as far as just antifreeze whether it purple, green, red, orange, yellow, its just antifreeze. I am sure that brown is mixed colors. But anyhow whatever color it is its ethylene glycol and distilled water. The colors are just a dye as far as i have been told. Its like the red diesel. It is still diesel just with a red dye. However it will clog filters more often because of the dye in it am told.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BerserkerX
I just used normal green antifreeze with Redline Water Wetter.
Same here.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:57 PM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
I am running normal ol green stuff right now. However, as soon as I remember the name of it I will switch over to the stuff I used in my Volvo C70. It was a low pressure coolant that required you to drill a small hole in the overflow cap.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hioffcr
I am running normal ol green stuff right now. However, as soon as I remember the name of it I will switch over to the stuff I used in my Volvo C70. It was a low pressure coolant that required you to drill a small hole in the overflow cap.
and thats better how?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Look at the Evans cooling site for a detailed description. http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html Much higher boiling point, etc.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Drilling a hole in your cap causes a higher boiling point? I knew that a higher pressure one did but I didn't think drilling a hole would. That's interesting.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I run straight distilled water with a bottle of water wetter.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Drilling a hole in your cap causes a higher boiling point? I knew that a higher pressure one did but I didn't think drilling a hole would. That's interesting.

You didn't read the Evans Cooling page, did you?

The coolant itself has a higher boiling point, and thus does not need a pressurized system, like normal antifreeze does to try and keep it liquid instead of vapor. That's why there's a hole in the cap -- there's no need for pressure in the system...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Lol how did you know I didn't read it?

I read it now though! and it sounds like it could really work. That is why I switched to the ralliart cool thermostat. I was tired of the car climbing to high temps so I got that with water wetter and a radiator plate. It seemed to help quite a bit really.

So who is the Guinea that tries it on their car to see if it works? I am too poor for that ha ha.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:24 AM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
Lol how did you know I didn't read it?

I read it now though! and it sounds like it could really work. That is why I switched to the ralliart cool thermostat. I was tired of the car climbing to high temps so I got that with water wetter and a radiator plate. It seemed to help quite a bit really.

So who is the Guinea that tries it on their car to see if it works? I am too poor for that ha ha.

I will be running it by the end of the month. As I said....used it in my Volvo C70. I actually made the switch because the factory cooland had a tendancy to turn to paste. Along with the benifit of it staying a liquid, I ran around 20* cooler than with OEM stuff.

Quick Reply: Coolant - What Are You Using?