Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone watch their IAT's?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD_Terror
How in depth did you get with your heat shield? Any pics?
Just basic aluminum bent and bolted in to separate the filter from the heat of the bay?
I attached a pic, pretty much like you described, I just made a template out of cardboard, transferred it to aluminum, and it just sits around the filter to isolate it from the engine bay heat.

Originally Posted by wreckleford
My MAF air temp. goes as high a 140F sometimes but I am just too lazy to do anything about it
For every degree you drop going into the turbo, you drop more than one degree out of the turbo. I think it works out to about 1.12 degrees. What this means is the cooler you can make your pre-turbo temps, the less work the IC has to do. Another thing to bear in mind is that the ECU is designed to work with the stock airbox, which draws in cool air from the grille. I'm not sure exactly how the EVO ECU is, but on a DSM the ECU will start to pull timing if charge temps get over 85F. I'd imagine the EVOs have similar safeguards built in.

Here's a great calculator that you can plug numbers into and see what effect inlet temps, compressor & IC efficiency, water/meth injection and VE have on charge temps & power,...

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml
Attached Thumbnails Anyone watch their IAT's?-picture-1.jpg  

Last edited by Steve93Talon; Jul 6, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I monitor my AIT with a GM sensor in my intake manifold. I have a stock IX turbo peaking at ~25psi and tapering down to 21 psi at redline, Nisei aluminum pipes, a Perrin FMIC, and a MAP v3 ported intake manifold with heat dispersant coating and phenolic spacer gasket. During WOT pulls my temps are always within 10F of ambient.

Here is a graph comparing my manifold intake temps to the MAF intake temps during a 3rd gear pull. Ambient temp was in the low 70's. The sensors or calibrated correctly and read identical when the car is off and fully cool.

Last edited by Kracka; Jul 6, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
I'm not sure exactly how the EVO ECU is, but on a DSM the ECU will start to pull timing if charge temps get over 85F. I'd imagine the EVOs have similar safeguards built in.
Nice setup. Maybe you can put the stock snorkel back on as well and cut an opening for that? It may help feed cold air into your box. I still have to make a box similar to that myself.

Anyway, here are the tables from the stock ECU that controls when and how much timing gets pulled due to intake air temp (as measured at the MAF) as well as the corresponding min load table:

Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I attached a pic, pretty much like you described, I just made a template out of cardboard, transferred it to aluminum, and it just sits around the filter to isolate it from the engine bay heat.

For every degree you drop going into the turbo, you drop more than one degree out of the turbo. I think it works out to about 1.12 degrees. What this means is the cooler you can make your pre-turbo temps, the less work the IC has to do. Another thing to bear in mind is that the ECU is designed to work with the stock airbox, which draws in cool air from the grille. I'm not sure exactly how the EVO ECU is, but on a DSM the ECU will start to pull timing if charge temps get over 85F. I'd imagine the EVOs have similar safeguards built in.

Here's a great calculator that you can plug numbers into and see what effect inlet temps, compressor & IC efficiency, water/meth injection and VE have on charge temps & power,...

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml
That's a neat calculator. I have bookmarked it. It does bear out what i am saying though. I used the base numbers the tables come with and increased the inlet temp by 10 degrees and it resulted in a post intercooler outlet temp of 3 degrees.

You are right about the computer pulling timing based on air temps, the Evos do this too. It is definitely worthwhile keeping the air as cool as possible.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Nice setup. Maybe you can put the stock snorkel back on as well and cut an opening for that? It may help feed cold air into your box. I still have to make a box similar to that myself.
I was thinking of making a scoop out of alum to feed it from the stock location, haven't gotten around to it but I'm pulling pretty much ambient air in as it is.

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Anyway, here are the tables from the stock ECU that controls when and how much timing gets pulled due to intake air temp (as measured at the MAF) as well as the corresponding min load table:
Good info, I hadn't really gone out of my way to dig for it but I figured it had to be there. Looks pretty similar to how DSMs are scaled.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wreckleford
I used the base numbers the tables come with and increased the inlet temp by 10 degrees and it resulted in a post intercooler outlet temp of 3 degrees.
Bear in mind those numbers are Celcius.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

very good info guys!!!
Steve, that setup looks nice. I didnt even think about the ECU pulling timing by charge temps. Makes sense though as those higher temps could possibly aid to detonation.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For every degree you drop going into the turbo, you drop more than one degree out of the turbo. I think it works out to about 1.12 degrees. What this means is the cooler you can make your pre-turbo temps, the less work the IC has to do.
thats why pre turbo WI was so succesful at lowering charge temps. altho controversial on turbo damage
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if we are considering fabricating a heat shield of sorts around the filter, wouldn't it be best to make the shield out of plastic (e.g. stock airbox) vs. aluminum as it would transfer heat less ?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
I monitor my AIT with a GM sensor in my intake manifold. I have a stock IX turbo peaking at ~25psi and tapering down to 21 psi at redline, Nisei aluminum pipes, a Perrin FMIC, and a MAP v3 ported intake manifold with heat dispersant coating and phenolic spacer gasket. During WOT pulls my temps are always within 10F of ambient.

Here is a graph comparing my manifold intake temps to the MAF intake temps during a 3rd gear pull. Ambient temp was in the low 70's. The sensors or calibrated correctly and read identical when the car is off and fully cool.
Based on the high initial air temp values, it looks like you have a conefilter setup. Is that correct? If yes, is there any sort of heat shield or cold air ducting?

Where did you get the phenolic spacer?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Where did you get the phenolic spacer?
This is one place http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GZM-G600X
Old Jul 9, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
So if we are considering fabricating a heat shield of sorts around the filter, wouldn't it be best to make the shield out of plastic (e.g. stock airbox) vs. aluminum as it would transfer heat less ?
I think most just use a sheet of Al since it's easy to work with and source. But if you look online, there are plenty of places that sell sheets of plastics, like HDPE (which I think is what the stock box is made out of). That's what I am going to make mine out of.