Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone watch their IAT's?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone watch their IAT's?

Just curious if anyone actually logs their IAT's or touches their UICP at all.
I think my engine bay gets a little hotter then it should . My charge pipes are sooooo damn hottt I know I am losing a ton of power.
i didnt log it yet, but curious what others see on their logs.
I am very tempted to do meth or water injection to help aid in cooling process.

EDIT. . . I have a 4inch core IC and it feels very cool on the intake side of the endtank. So I think its just heating up sooo much from the engine bay heat. Maybe from the manifold
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During cruise, my IAT is just a couple degrees above ambient.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

You ever let the car sit for a few mins on a hot day and check it?
Im sure it runs a little cooler under cruise, but if at idle at a light or in a parking lot it gets CRAZY hott by feel.
My main concern i am getting at is the IAT's getting my charge pipes so damn hot in the pits at the track. Then on a startup to go to the line the temp causing the loss in power. I mean a quick shot of nitrous or something on the pipe or IC or IM will do the trick, but not really looking to go that far.
Ive actually burned my hand on my IM and Charge pipe already on a semi hot day.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

At idle on a hot day, the temps definitely rise, but usually come back to normal range quickly once you get moving again.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temps by me are 30c just about everyday of the year.

My intake temps are normally between 40-50c. My sensor is on the upper IC pipe before the throttle body.

Temps just slightly above ambient I don't think are possible given the fact you have that air running through a hot compessor housing and IC pipes.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

To clarify, it seems like some people are talking about IATs as logged at the MAF, and others are referring to a post-IC temp probe. On my car, my MAF IATs were about 126F on a 70F day with an open element filter sitting in the engine bay. Then I fabbed a heat shield and IATs dropped to 74F. I also removed the hood vent and just left the mesh part, this seems to help evacuate underhood heat alot quicker. If you do this, you might want to carry it with you in case it rains. You could also try an intake manifold heat barrier spacer/gasket.

Also, as for post-IC charge temps being affected by the engine bay heating up the upper IC pipe from the outside, I don't think it would have much affect, if any. The surface area of the air passing through is minimal in relation to the total amount of air, and the heat would only transfer at the surface of the pipe.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
To clarify, it seems like some people are talking about IATs as logged at the MAF, and others are referring to a post-IC temp probe. On my car, my MAF IATs were about 126F on a 70F day with an open element filter sitting in the engine bay. Then I fabbed a heat shield and IATs dropped to 74F. I also removed the hood vent and just left the mesh part, this seems to help evacuate underhood heat alot quicker. If you do this, you might want to carry it with you in case it rains. You could also try an intake manifold heat barrier spacer/gasket.

Also, as for post-IC charge temps being affected by the engine bay heating up the upper IC pipe from the outside, I don't think it would have much affect, if any. The surface area of the air passing through is minimal in relation to the total amount of air, and the heat would only transfer at the surface of the pipe.
Do you have any post intercooler temp data? I am wondering if the heatshield woudl have a corresponding effect on the post intercooler temps.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
But we can't forget about what happens to air when it is compressed. HEAT!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

now that I think of it, whill a heat shield even help much?
As stated below, once compressed its heat again out of the IC. Just less.

so the temp of my charge pipes and intake mani wouldnt make a difference on surface temps?

BTW I dont have the grill in my hood right now.

Last edited by AWD_Terror; Jul 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

The temps I was referring to were post IC temps (GM IAT in my UICP). For now I also have my MAF, so I can compare MAF intake T as well.

To the question above, a heat shield would absolutely help with post IC temps as well. Cooler air going in=cooler air coming out.

My comments were geared towards cruising around though. At idle and/or WOT, the temps are going to rise. At idle and WOT, a good heat shield will help bring ang keep temps lower and at WOT a good IC will help keep the temps in line.

And I second the fact that the hot IC pipes are going to have minimal effect on the IATs. The temp transfer is just too small compared to the moving air and cross section of the air in the pipe. Minimal heat transfer is occurring.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

ahhhhh see I figured the pipes might see enuff of a thermal difference from the external temps to make the charge much hotter too.

So the IAT's come from the MAF then? I thought some of my other cars they measured from the IM. Man I really need to learn more about this car. lol

How in depth did you get with your heat shield? Any pics?
Just basic aluminum bent and bolted in to separate the filter from the heat of the bay?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
During cruise, my IAT is just a couple degrees above ambient.
So your intercooler is almost 100% efficient? Hard to imagine that.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

ccrain, during cruise. I'm not the only one who sees this either. Plenty of other people have logged the same thing.

Why do you think your IATs should be way above ambient during cruise? Unless, you have a heat soaked engine bay and filter area, they should be just around ambient. The turbo isn't boosting during cruise and isn't heating the air.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 6, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Always try to do whatever it takes to avoid heated filtered air (as seen through MAF temp). Use a heat shield, stock airbox, insulation, etc to lower it. Even if your spraying water into the charge, the lower temp primary source of air should still be the objective. So adding water as a bandaid to compensate for the higher MAFIAT temp seems to be a waste of energy when you can first lower the IAT, and THEN add H2O into the charge to make more power.

Even though the compressor raises the temp considerably anyway, the gradient will be close to whatever the starting temp is. Sometimes unblinging the engine bay makes more horsepower so do what you can. Even sitting in traffic at 95F ambient fully heat soaked, my MAFIAT logs rarely show 5-10F higher.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Always try to do whatever it takes to avoid heated filtered air (as seen through MAF temp). Use a heat shield, stock airbox, insulation, etc to lower it. Even if your spraying water into the charge, the lower temp primary source of air should still be the objective. So adding water as a bandaid to compensate for the higher MAFIAT temp seems to be a waste of energy when you can first lower the IAT, and THEN add H2O into the charge to make more power.

Even though the compressor raises the temp considerably anyway, the gradient will be close to whatever the starting temp is. Sometimes unblinging the engine bay makes more horsepower so do what you can. Even sitting in traffic at 95F ambient fully heat soaked, my MAFIAT logs rarely show 5-10F higher.
The thing is though, if it works like most heat exchangers, which it should, it will work more efficiently if there is a larger temperature difference between the ambient air and the air coming into the intercooler from the turbo.

I won't know without measuring, and it might be different depending on which intercooler you use, but look at this example (random numbers). Your air entering the intercooler is at 120F and comes out at 105F( a temperature drop of 15F). Now if your air is coming in at 140F, for the same ambient temperature, I expect you will get a larger temperature drop than 15F. Maybe the outgoing air might only be 110F (5 degree difference). As I say this is just speculation on my part and is something I have always wanted to try to verify by measuring.

My MAF air temp. goes as high a 140F sometimes but I am just too lazy to do anything about it

Last edited by wreckleford; Jul 6, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone watch their IAT's?