Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car starting issues. Engine flooding maybe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car starting issues. Engine flooding maybe?

I purchased a used 03 a few months ago and I'm just going to say it has a few problems... But I'll get to that in a minute. First I'll go over where its currently at in terms of mods and whatnot. When I bought the car I was told it had the following mods:
  • HKS 272's
  • Intercooler Piping (Upper and Lower)
  • Full Injen exhaust
  • Blitz Turbo Timer
  • Not sure what the official name is but the factory gauge cluster that sits in the stereo slot
  • ARP Headstuds

When I got it the factory boost gauge was reading a solid peak 1.5 bar (running on factory solenoid) and was running a very rough idle.

I got a halman MBC and turned it down some so it peaks at 1.3 instead (wanted to be a little safer until I get something logged). After that I purchased an ETS intercooler and installed that and adjusted the MBC for the pressure drop. And just last week I bought an Aquamist HFS-6 and finished that install this last weekend.

So here is the odd problem. My car starts great the first time. One or two crank and its running. The problem comes if the engine is warm it consistantly takes about 20 cranks to get it started.

My uneducated guess is that the guy who had the car before me maybe tried to tune out the heavy loping of the cams overcompensated and makes it "flood". I've been doing a bit of research but the threads that address engine starting don't seem to fit.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:07 AM

sounds like a baddd problem, why don't you just get it to a tuner asap?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:55 AM

I didn't plan on having a tuner take care of it. I was planning on doing the tuning myself.