Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankshaft K1 or OEM ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackson Machine
It can't be proven. Like a lot of similar topics its just a theory. There are thousands of crossdrilled cranks running well over 6000 rpm without failures. If the results don't agree with the theory, get another theory. That said, we use k1 in some builds. All parts have their proper place.
It has been proven on many V8 crankshafts. Like Ted has mentioned we are very fortunate that the 4G63 has substantial amount oil pressure in which a small engine block to do it with unlike a V8 which is why the OEM Mitsu crankshaft survives multiple 9000RPMS hits. The OEM Mitsu cranks are mass produced so it it much cheaper to cross-drill them as they were orignally designed to spin to 7500RPMS. If your looking for a crankshaft that is designed to properly oil the rod bearings no matter what the RPM is I would choose a K1 or Winberg. You get what you pay for.

If you happen to visit the PRI show this year I highly recommend stoping by the Winberg Booth and chat with either Randy or Dennis and they can explain a little more in depth.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:31 AM

I have a OE crank in my built 2.0 with ACL bearings and carillo rods.

it see's 9k on an almost daily basis, and the only thing that has broken is my trans.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

I had a week before a thrust bearing failure.
My evo is built with cosworth parts and cosworth bearings.
max rev 9800rpm.
I am wondering what was the problem that cause the failure....
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

stock crank is good to what 1400 WHP ? and the thing has been tested to over 17,000 RPMS before it blows away... someone correct me if i am wrong
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
stock crank is good to what 1400 WHP ? and the thing has been tested to over 17,000 RPMS before it blows away... someone correct me if i am wrong
**** happens. Cosworth bearings might have been the failure. Ive seen it happen before, and thats why I wont touch them anymore. I stick with Clevite or ACL race
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
**** happens. Cosworth bearings might have been the failure. Ive seen it happen before, and thats why I wont touch them anymore. I stick with Clevite or ACL race
So when the same things happens with the acl you will say the same instead of finding the problem, Look at oil flow to the bearings rather than the bearings themselfs.

Mark
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mark S
So when the same things happens with the acl you will say the same instead of finding the problem, Look at oil flow to the bearings rather than the bearings themselfs.

Mark
Ive seen Cosworth bearings fail more often than Clevite or ACL, a much higher failure percentage. Im not exactly sure why that is, but it happens, and Im not the only one to notice it. I asked a couple big shops if they heard of anything similar and they saw the same problems.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Ive seen Cosworth bearings fail more often than Clevite or ACL, a much higher failure percentage. Im not exactly sure why that is, but it happens, and Im not the only one to notice it. I asked a couple big shops if they heard of anything similar and they saw the same problems.

I have used Cosworth bearings in over 50% of my engines and all have been perfect but then I pay more attention to oil flow also.

Mark
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Its funny because the cosworths and the ACL bearings are i believed made in the same factory. People pay for the name