Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mystery: drivetrain vibration! suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
mystery: drivetrain vibration! suggestions?

So it's impossible to google evo info, so here I am. Hers my problem:
While hitting fwy speeds, I get a vibration from the front of the car. It's a "pulsing" vibration approx 1/2 a second in duration and apart. No matter how fast I go, it stays the same intensity and rate. While changing lanes to the left, it goes away. Turning right has no effect.
I'm worried this is drivetrain related. I don't want to be driving on the fwy to have the diff lock up or something.
History:
Previous owner slid right-side of car into a curb resulting in a bent tooth on the RR abs ring. Possible front wheel bearing issue?
Car has been pushed into another so there is some front end damage; the radiator support is bent in but barely visible. FMIC/crash beam have been replaced. ACD pump seems to work fine though I do get all three lights coming on while driving on freeway as well.
Would the ACD be locking/unlocking the diff at fwy speeds??
ABS light is on due to RR ABS ring, I'm assuming.
Wheels have been balanced. New tires.
That's all the info I have. Anyone have ANY ideas of what I can try? Car is salvaged, so I can't take it to the dealer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
kaj

???
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Tires/wheels are balanced and spin fine. My car hasn't been in any accidents or anything though. Front end is tight (suspension and steering parts) no movement or noise from wheel bearings. I haven't checked the drive shaft at all though, that will be later today.

Do we have u-joints or do we have to replace the whole thing if that's what it is?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:22 AM
kaj

mine changed. i got it aligned... now i only get the vibration over 70 while turning to the right. straight and turning left has no vibration.
alignment numbers are all in line with OEM specs. i'm gonna swap out the axle and knuckle on that side and hope that cures it.
i don't know what else to do.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car had this issue when i bought it. Previous owner had hit a curb lightly. I had to bring the car to the dealer 3 times for them to put wheel bearing on it, they said they didn't notice anything wrong with it and even went as far as to make me test drive a brand new MR to see if it did it. It obviously didn't but they still refused to beleive anything was wrong with the car. The next day my dad brought it down and they installed a new wheel bearing and bamm! problem solved.

The next day i gave up on my warranty because I would never bring my car back to them again.....F*ck it let the modding begin
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:14 PM
kaj

That's why I'm swapping knuckles. Hoping it's the bearing. Weird 'cause previous owner hit a curb on the R side... Yet problem is on the L. I know this cause I swapped the R side already. :-(
Bearing was my very first hypothesis.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
kaj

found problem. wheel bearing, passenger side. swapped knuckles. all better now.