Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or Buschur "DP"; why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the B&B set up. 3'' no fittment problems. Downpipe clears the factory bars. I have a cat delet pipe, but it would work with the factory cat or what ever you want. Here is a pic of the side underneath of the car.
Attached Thumbnails RMR or Buschur "DP"; why?-side.jpg  
Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a pic of the front of the downpipe to the rear. No mods needed for install of the B&B exhaust. Sounds nice and deep, no highway drone, not loud.
Attached Thumbnails RMR or Buschur "DP"; why?-front-back.jpg  
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think your budget is going to dictate what you get.. I have the Buschur, and you really can't "Piecemeal" it together part by part like you can with some other systems.. However keep in mind that the products that are designed to work with the stock exhaust system components ultimately may not offer the best performance.. And some just look pretty and offer improvements over stock, but you may not get as much of an improvement if the entire system is installed.

Do your research.. Most of the full turbo back systems are very similar in performance, all are very good quality, but vary a bit with their features because of price.. IE, Slip fit systems will be less expensive than flanges, polished stainless will be more expensive than standard stainless.. (Don't forget you can have the system polished or you can do it yourself!!)

If you are considering an exhaust system, I recommend doing the ENTIRE turbo back system WITH a catalytic converter (What you decide about a CAT is your own business though) The only reason is because its fairly easy to install, and will provide a good performance increase with very few modifications to get it to work.

If you can only afford components, I'd recommend saving until you can get the whole thing.. It really makes the upgrade alot easier and you don't have to deal with fitment with stock components (except the O2 housing, which all of the DP's fit currently or their kit replaces it)

Ok.. Thats all I have to say about this topic..
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ammitsuevo
does the hks downpipe bolt directly on w/out mods, and does it work well with the stick cat/highflow cat, and 3inch cat back. Or are there issues w/ a 2.5inch downpipe and 3inch exhaust?
The hks bolts up to the stock cat and has no problem what so ever

i have a test pipe on right now
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:35 PM

The cusco bar will not clear the rmr downpipe. Trust me, i know.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner

The hks bolts up to the stock cat and has no problem what so ever. I have a test pipe on right now
Dude .. where did you purchase that downpipe?
Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Here are some facts for you guys.

The factory cat is lets say 2.5". IF you buy a down pipe that will bolt to a 2.5" cat then the back side of it has to be close to that or you will not get it to seal. In other words putting a full 3" pipe up to a 2.5" pipe will not seal correctly and the WORSTE part is it will flow like CRAP!

This should in itself keep anyone shopping for a downpipe from buying something that necks down or is flanged to mate up to a 2.5" cat from buying it. This restriction is going to be there until you cut it off and replace it.

The B&B system that is pictured CANNNOT be a full 3" diameter pipe. I gaurantee it. There is 3.25 inches of room between that lower support and the cross memeber above it. From what I see in the picture there is a 1/2" of room between the pipe and underbrace. This means if it is 3" then it is slammed into the crossmember above it. Measure the tubing, it is not a 3" downpipe. In order to fit the full 3" downpipe through there we include 5 stainless steel .400 thick spacers in our kit. This drops the stock underbrace down .400 of an inch. This gives the clearance needed for a TRUE 3" downpipe.

At the shootout this year there was an EVO 7 with a "3"" downpipe on it there and a "3"" exhaust. It was a very high dollar stainless Japanese system. I let the guy use the lift in my trailer to install my system. I told him if it wasn't faster with my system I wouldn't charge him for it. When the car went up on the lift I was amazed at how the 3" Japanese downpipe fit with so much clearance. When he took it off I got the tape measure out and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?! IT WASN'T 3" AFTERALL! The tubing only measure over 2-5/8". Well that was enough to get the added clearance. His car dropped from a low 13 to a 12.47 after the change and a quick change to his settings on his AFR. He sold his old exhaust and kept mine.

Of course I want to sell every EVO owner OUR exhaust. From the looks of the amount of systems leaving here I'm not missing that goal by much On the other hand though I truly believe if you compare you aren't going to find a better system out there.

While some of these guys are advertising 3" this and that if you look and measure you will find they aren't all as advertised.

IF you have a system that will bolt to a stock cat you have a reducer or smaller tubing of some sort. THAT system JUST became an UNTRUE 3" system. Our system is 3" all the way through, NO reducers, NO resonators, NO B.S. Add to this the 304 Stainless Steel construction of every inch of tubing, every flange, every hanger, the muffler and even the 02 bung is stainless and then take into consideration that the system with the downpipe, offroad pipe and catback only weigh 24 pounds all for $750, how can you beat it. Performance....can't be beat.

I know I am a vendor, you all know I am here to make money and sell parts. I am also putting MY NAME on all these parts we build. I am not going to sell something that isn't what I say. From the times we and our customers are posting they must work.

Keep in mind that what is advertised isn't always what you get.

Take care all,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 9, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

To David Buschur:

I agree with you whole-heartedly with one exception: The RMR DP is 3" and does bolt up correctly. I understand that it bottlenecks at the cat, but I intend to run a 3" cat later.

Thanks again for the info - it's good to see knowledgable tuners/manufacturers actually posting.

Chris
Old Oct 9, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

B&B 3" downpipe will work with the stock bars and so will Buschur. AMS is also making one that they say will clear the stock bars.