Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

rear diff going bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear diff going bad?

At about 33,000 miles I changed my rear-diff and transfer case fluids using Amsoil severe gear 75W-90.

It's been about 1,500 miles and I've started noticing some clicking noises coming(there is also vibration) from the rear, when I make right or left hand turns coming from a stop. I don't hear it if I'm not stopped and it seems to go away eventually once I start driving, even if I just keep the wheel locked and drive in a circle. It kind of reminds me of wheel hop but it's not quite the same and I'm going very slow and taking it easy.

I'm going to get under it and check it out when I get home, just wanted some opinions on what it could be and what to look for.

Also should I just go to the mitsu dealer and get some oil from them and replace the Amsoil?

Thanks,
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why people tend to blame it on the oil the first thing they do.

you ned to ennsure your diff is ok.
jack the car up in the air and check you diff's, rotate the tires by hand and look for spider gear noises.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not assuming it is the oil.

I am concerned that it may be due to the oil because it started shortly after I changed it. Just asking for opinions/advice. I'll try what you suggested and write back about how it went.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

its the rear diff. had the same EXACT issue. find a rear used diff or send it to shep. I changed mine with a used one with 30k on it, and problem is gone.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Any idea what would cause an issue like this?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

diff chatter add some LSD additive, or get rid of the Amsoil and use stock fluid. don,t remove the diff and spend money.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
diff chatter add some LSD additive, or get rid of the Amsoil and use stock fluid. don,t remove the diff and spend money.
+1
I always use the Mitsu Diaqueen LSD fluid in my rear diff and T-Case. Its only like 35 buck from one of the vendors on the forum for a gallon. That will last you quite a long time. I think the rear diff holds like just under or just over a quart and the t-case is like 2 quarts maybe? Either way that stuff is legit and OEM so nothing to worry about.

But def before you buy another diff or send it out for reman to shep try some Diaqueen and see what happens...

Good luck

-Ethan
Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:06 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
why people tend to blame it on the oil the first thing they do.
I see you're a vendor for AMSOIL, and see why you're defensive.

I would think maybe it's the oil as well if I had no issues, did a diff fluid change with a different type of oil and then started to encounter issues.

You always have to ask yourself when diagnosing problems, "What changed?" In this case, the oil.

I'm not saying it's the root cause, but one would think of that first - then investigate further.

Best of luck to the OP.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, always use the diaqueen oil in the rear diff and t-case.

Of course, you could take this opportunity to send the rear diff to TRE to have it checked out and upgraded. For the $400 it cost me, it has been the best handling mod I have done to my car. Be warned, though, the upgraded diff is a little bit noisier than stock.

l8r)
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I use AMSOIL 75w90 in the rear diff and transfer case and have yet to experience any problems...

My car is my daily driver and I track it heavily in the wonderful and hot SoCal area...

AMSOIL gives you wings...
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by o-townFLA
I use AMSOIL 75w90 in the rear diff and transfer case and have yet to experience any problems...

My car is my daily driver and I track it heavily in the wonderful and hot SoCal area...

AMSOIL gives you wings...
I always enjoy your photos!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 04:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by compscibOi
I see you're a vendor for AMSOIL, and see why you're defensive.

I would think maybe it's the oil as well if I had no issues, did a diff fluid change with a different type of oil and then started to encounter issues.

You always have to ask yourself when diagnosing problems, "What changed?" In this case, the oil.

I'm not saying it's the root cause, but one would think of that first - then investigate further.

Best of luck to the OP.

No one is defensive here, you might need to interprit my writting a little different.

I dont care if iam the owner of AMSOIL ,,, it is what it is,,,,
-was the rear diff fully re-filled, was it checked after the re-fill took place, was the car launched (how many times), thewre are many variables tyhat one must concoder before blaming this type of stuff,,,, not saying the oil may have not caused it.

the normal tendency is to blame the smallest stuff and whatever sounds the most obbviouse why easy, because is the easiest to troubleshoot OIL

the OP or anyone having issues they need to concider other stuff first instead of the oil,,,, i think these days is hard to screw up oil, lots of people still using petroulium based oils are doing ok.

we have many racing teams that run AMSOIL all around and have been doing it for thousands of miles.

you know the car that just went 8.75 from AWD ,they are running AMSOIL

OP, wish you the best of the luck, i would check with Sheperd,,, best of luck,, even though you are not one of our customers.

Andy

Last edited by apagan01; Jul 9, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 04:20 PM

Same thing happened to me after putting redline fluids in rear diff called them and they said to put additive or friction modifier that it was just chatter decided to just go back to stock fluids and everything was fine no harm done GL.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
FYI Mitsu calls for a straight 90W in the rear diff; I only use the OEM 90W LSD DiaQueen in my xfer case and rear diff.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by S2kracka
FYI Mitsu calls for a straight 90W in the rear diff; I only use the OEM 90W LSD DiaQueen in my xfer case and rear diff.
AMSOIL SVG is a 75W90 gear oil

Quick Reply: rear diff going bad?