Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Milky Oil in Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milky Oil in Catch Can

So I went and checked my oil catch can the other day, poured it out and saw the mixture was somewhat milky looking. I did a smell check and it looked like a combination of oil, maybe a little e85 gasoline, since that's what I run, and possibly some water. Did not smell like coolant. And no I don't have a head gasket leak. So I was wondering if this is normal or if I'm experiencing some blowby or possibly worst case senario my rings are on their last legs. I've been told that some water condensation does form in the Valve cover so this is what I initally contributed the milky look to but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this same thing. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

if it doesn't smell like coolant it's probably moisture/ water in the oil.. it's possible the water or moisture came into the catch can itself and isn't in the oil. as far as water forming thru the process of condensation at the valve cover, and that's NOT an internal motor issue, it shouldn't be evident enough in the oil to make it "milky."
your best bet is to drop the oil plug and do an oil change.. see what comes out.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm certain it's just moisture. I had this exact same issue with my catch can. It started to get a milky chucky type of stuff in it and I had convinced myself I had a bad headgasket, but that wasn't the case. I did a whole bunhc of research and asked some of my more intellegent friends and I came up with the conclusion that this is normal. It's just moisture in the crankcase.

If it had anything do do with the headgasket, you'd notice the car over heating, or notice a loss of coolant.

I wouldn't suspect your rings going bad unless you're suddenly getting MUCH more oil in your catch can than before.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it,. But wait to see what other people smarter than I have to say.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Normal - gas burns and makes CO2 and water.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, Looks like water to me. You can see the oil and water seperate. As far as the car goes, I'm not losing coolant, no head gasket leak. Oil on the end of the dipstick and under the oil cap look good. It's rained here a lot recently, might have been some water absorbed via the intake I don't know. I'll let you guys know if I discover anything out of the ordinary. Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has the same similar contents and i'e noticed this a bit more now that the evo runs on E85 only.

Not totally clear but not the typical look of milkshake caused by coolant/oil mixture.......i think it's ok as our other Evos do the same and they are on E85 as well.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

No coolant, I would have smelled it. Looks like its a combination of water, e85 and obviously oil.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:33 PM

at least yours is catching something!!
i'm on my second engine and
i've had a can for years and never even darkeded the inspection tubes
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you installed the catch can wrong DEVO, this is how I've got mine setup, no breather. I use the intake inlet to draw the oil from the PCV and Vent...

Just checked it again today and noticed that there was some condensation in there once again. Honestly I think it's mostly water that's getting trapped. Nonetheless it's better in the can than having in dump into my intake manifold.

BTW anyone in here running e85 and noticing the affects it has when mixed with oil. Just took out my injectors about 3 wks ago and noticed a very sticky resin that's built up. Anyone on e85 and still using Mobil1 needs to inspect their injectors.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DEVO330
at least yours is catching something!!
i'm on my second engine and
i've had a can for years and never even darkeded the inspection tubes
Is there any internal baffles in the can for the oil to collect? It's not just an empty can is it?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Change your oil Steve! Let me know if you want Amsoil???