Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS 2.3 Stroker sounds like a desiel...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday, there was contact made between me and the original poster over PM. We discussed what has been done to the motor but I was waiting for a sound clip or video to help diagnose the issue. We were unable to locate the original invoice but had not given up. We were waiting for more info on the original purchase of this engine, which now sounds like it was from another party. When we ship out short blocks they are shipped as a block only assembly with only the oil pump bolted on. We do not assemble the pan, head or any other components onto it. We only do this on a long block. I'm not sure where that pan came from but it sure seems like it was bent prior to installing it on the motor. I always turn the motors over by hand prior to completion to double check the rotation of the crank before shipping.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

At this point I would pull the rod caps and inspect the bearings for contamination. If none is found I would flush the oil. You could pour some fresh oil in the head and let it drain through the motor with the oil pan on. Next I would install the pan and fill with fresh oil after flushing out or replacing the oil cooler. Make sure to also replace the filter. Disconnect the crank sensor and crank for 30 second intervals while letting the starter cool off in between cranking sessions. I would do this multiple times and then change the oil again. Then I would run the car for a short period of time and change the oil and filter again. After a couple changes I think you should have most of the debris out of the system.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tim@AMSperformance
At this point I would pull the rod caps and inspect the bearings for contamination. If none is found I would flush the oil. You could pour some fresh oil in the head and let it drain through the motor with the oil pan on. Next I would install the pan and fill with fresh oil after flushing out or replacing the oil cooler. Make sure to also replace the filter. Disconnect the crank sensor and crank for 30 second intervals while letting the starter cool off in between cranking sessions. I would do this multiple times and then change the oil again. Then I would run the car for a short period of time and change the oil and filter again. After a couple changes I think you should have most of the debris out of the system.
I appreciate all the help you guys are offering! I went back and tried to find my receipt of this, but I cou;d not find it. I do remember that I used my Bank of America debit card that I had at the time. I do not remember if I used mine, or my significant others card. I'm still looking.

I know you guys need this block back to check for possible errors, but it's flat out impossible for me to pull this thing at the moment. As a business owner, my hours are crazy as I'm sure some of you guys can relate to. I always leave the house at 7:30am and rarely return before 9pm. I will see what I can do, but it may take a few weeks to get this thing out, if at all.

I will let you know about the receipt as soon as I find out. I do not remember if it was purchased directly from you or from a vendor on here.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yesterday, there was contact made between me and the original poster over PM. We discussed what has been done to the motor but I was waiting for a sound clip or video to help diagnose the issue. We were unable to locate the original invoice but had not given up. We were waiting for more info on the original purchase of this engine, which now sounds like it was from another party. When we ship out short blocks they are shipped as a block only assembly with only the oil pump bolted on. We do not assemble the pan, head or any other components onto it. We only do this on a long block. I'm not sure where that pan came from but it sure seems like it was bent prior to installing it on the motor. I always turn the motors over by hand prior to completion to double check the rotation of the crank before shipping.
I must have purchased it from outside your shop then because I got it with the oil pan assembled.

I clearly need to be more responcable with the money I spend on this car. I spend a crap load. So much I can't even account for it all.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No offense, but how do you not know where you spent $5000+ dollars? I wish I had the kind of green where I could drop that much and not recall where I spent it?

Back on topic - you stated you bought the motor with 40 miles on it, always under 3500rpm, and under 5lbs of boost. Where/how were those miles put on?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
threads are not always as them seem
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by formerSTIowner
No offense, but how do you not know where you spent $5000+ dollars? I wish I had the kind of green where I could drop that much and not recall where I spent it?

Back on topic - you stated you bought the motor with 40 miles on it, always under 3500rpm, and under 5lbs of boost. Where/how were those miles put on?
Im a entrepreneur that makes a fairly healthy living and have very little expences. And I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't want the money I have because the money I have didn't just majicly apear. I work 80 hour weeks religiously, and sacrifice any amount of me time. All these efforts are in hope that when I'm in my mid 40's I can live comfortably and not be under too much financial stress. $5000 is a good amount of money, but I'm used to dealing with much larger number due to the revenue of my combined businesses.

I stated that I bought the motor new, assembled the thing. Started it and heard the noise it was making. Thought it was the lifters pressurizing so I drove it around a bit and the noise never subsided so I parked it to find the problem.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Glad to see the guys at AMS extend their hand in helping you out as much as possible!

Hope things get squared away quickly and that you're back on the road.....
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I always turn the motors over by hand prior to completion to double check the rotation of the crank before shipping.
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
To me a completely fresh assembly is like a hot virgin. Not turning it over is like getting her all worked up, nakid in bed, then you send her off packing.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
To me a completely fresh assembly is like a hot virgin. Not turning it over is like getting her all worked up, nakid in bed, then you send her off packing.
oh i thought you meant not doing her a hole
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:51 PM

will the ams cars when stroked do sound pretty burly
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeMAN
Arent the timing marks slightly different for the 2.3? Like 1/2 a tooth off? I thought i saw this somewhere...wasnt sure if it was just with the EVO 9 head.
NO. only apply if you are using a 2.4L block. cause it's about 3mm taller than a 2.0L. Also apply to AMS 2.3RR. Cause AMS uses 2.4L block with custom parts.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vboy425
NO. only apply if you are using a 2.4L block. cause it's about 3mm taller than a 2.0L. Also apply to AMS 2.3RR. Cause AMS uses 2.4L block with custom parts.
The 64 block is actually 6mm taller.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a large vacuum leak