Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car dying with new walbro 255

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:23 PM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car dying with new walbro 255

After looking into the MODS previously done on my car, I realized the stock fuel pump was still in there. Ordered a Walbro from Lancershop and installed it about a week ago.

Fast forward 24 hours........after parking the car all day in the hot sun, I get in and the car won't start. just grinding at the starter. Figuring it was the fuel pump I borrowed some tools from one of my soldiers and went to work. Removed the cover and detached the larger line.......no fuel. reattached it and put some pressure on the housing while my soldier cranked it.......it starts.

Then today, as I come to a stop the car dies. Turn the key and it just keeps cranking. Do this intermittently to no avail. Push the car into the Auto Zone and take the seat off and check the line.......no fuel. Re-attach it and try again. Still no start, but now have alot of fuel in the line. Do this several times over the next 38 minutes until it finally starts.

WTH? If anyone has any suggestion, I would love to hear them. My wife will be using my car while I am in the field and her car is in the shop and I don't want her stranded with my 6 month old and 4 year old in the Texas heat.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Did you leave the little plastic clip on the stock fuel pump?

Last edited by Epix_; Jul 15, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:34 PM

No, the plastic clip is now attached to the walbro.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:46 PM

Update.....

Seems I can get the car started. However once I turn it off it take about 5 minutes or so before I can start it again. kind of like it is flooding itself when shutting down.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Installing just a fuel pump without the proper retune can cause you to run rich. You would have to be awfully rich for the car to not start but stranger things have happened. What other mods are on the car?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hioffcr
Update.....

Seems I can get the car started. However once I turn it off it take about 5 minutes or so before I can start it again. kind of like it is flooding itself when shutting down.
Flooding only happens on vehicles with carburetors...

The only thing I can think of is something is not correct in the way you installed it. I've put numerous 255's in all kinds of vehicles and never had a problem starting the cars after wards. It was part throttle and wot driving that needed to be tweaked in the tunes. The added volume of fuel the pump delivers does not affect the volume of fuel being injected during cranking. The pressure in the fuel system doesn't even build up until the engine has started and the pump is in full operation.

Take the entire fuel pump module out of the tank and check to see if the actual fuel pump has any up and downwards play. If it has the ability to move down to where the outlet of the pump does not remain sealed properly to where it is inserted in the module (the white thing the pump sits in) the car will not want to start or shut off while running because it drops down and looses its seal.

Make sure you purchased a real walbro 255. There are a few knock offs lurking out there.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Epix_
Flooding only happens on vehicles with carburetors...

The only thing I can think of is something is not correct in the way you installed it. I've put numerous 255's in all kinds of vehicles and never had a problem starting the cars after wards. It was part throttle and wot driving that needed to be tweaked in the tunes. The added volume of fuel the pump delivers does not affect the volume of fuel being injected during cranking. The pressure in the fuel system doesn't even build up until the engine has started and the pump is in full operation.

Take the entire fuel pump module out of the tank and check to see if the actual fuel pump has any up and downwards play. If it has the ability to move down to where the outlet of the pump does not remain sealed properly to where it is inserted in the module (the white thing the pump sits in) the car will not want to start or shut off while running because it drops down and looses its seal.

Make sure you purchased a real walbro 255. There are a few knock offs lurking out there.
I understand the FI cars do not flood.....I was just trying to make reference to what it seemed like.

The pump was purchased from Lancershop.com........so I am pretty sure it is authentic.

At this time I am thinking Crank Position Sensor or fuel pump relays. will check in the morning to see if I get spark when it is being problematic. The main thing that is bothering me is if I wait 5-10 minutes, it will start up just fine. But no start right after I shut it down.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Installing just a fuel pump without the proper retune can cause you to run rich. You would have to be awfully rich for the car to not start but stranger things have happened. What other mods are on the car?
20G Turbo upgrade, PRW Radiator, FMIC (brand unknown), Greddy UICP, LICP, MR BOV, Forge MBC, , Defi Boost, EGT, Temp guages, GTSpec Header, Greddy Cat Back with stock Cat
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:33 PM

TTT

Newest info......car is now sitting dead in my work parking lot.

Ran fine this morning in the 78 degree weather. Got to work, turned it off.....no issues. Came out of work 11 hours later........car no start.

Absolutely no fuel in the feed line, no matter how many time I finagled it. Everything inside the housing looks copestetic......looks like it is due for a tow to the dealership tomorrow.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about your badluck with the fuel pump. I am no mechanic, but I would imagine it could just be a faulty pump.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the housing out. Make sure the white clip is on there, then take the rubber grommet out of the housing itself. Its black. Inspect it for cracks. Put it on the nipple where the white clip is and then jam it into the plastic hole.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Take the housing out. Make sure the white clip is on there, then take the rubber grommet out of the housing itself. Its black. Inspect it for cracks. Put it on the nipple where the white clip is and then jam it into the plastic hole.
THIS!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've said it, now hes saying it. Recheck your work. The problem happened after you installed the pump, so it has to be something with the installation. Its not a relay or anything else.

Also don't forget to check the rubber spacer thing that goes between the pump and the strainer on the bottom. If its not there it could also cause the pump to slide down and loose its seal where the outlet of the pump meets the canister. Also, make sure when you separated the module you didn't pull the wires out of their connectors. It's possible they are momentarily making contact at times.

Last edited by Epix_; Jul 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Epix_
THIS!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've said it, now hes saying it. Recheck your work. The problem happened after you installed the pump, so it has to be something with the installation. Its not a relay or anything else.

Also don't forget to check the rubber spacer thing that goes between the pump and the strainer on the bottom. If its not there it could also cause the pump to slide down and loose its seal where the outlet of the pump meets the canister. Also, make sure when you separated the module you didn't pull the wires out of their connectors. It's possible they are momentarily making contact at times.
Sorry....meant to post that I did disassemble and recheck the pump and housing. Could not find anything wrong.

So went back to work this morning and it started right up.....so the heat is affecting the pump in some way.

I can't seem to figure out why it is affected by the heat. Sooooo........broke down and took it to the stealer today.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

no need to take it to the dealer. there is a small o ring in the housing that may have gotten turned that restricts the flow once the system is reprimed. ive posted about it before. the dealer is gonna blame the pump and try to sell you a new one. and a new surge tank too. i will see if i can find my post and pic on how to fix it....stand by....
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The temperature outside has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Car dying with new walbro 255