Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

75 mm Boomba Throttle Body VS stock dyno results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denver
however, the ported 65mm is more than enough to over come this bottle neck for $250 so there is no need to pay $389 for the added 10mm Dia because it does you no good.
In the DSM days, the 2g guys would go from a 52mm to a 60mm 1g throttle body and gain 2-3mph in the quarter mile. So, you're wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by denver
I agree that the stock one is a bottle neck because it is smaller than the inlet and the outlet of it.... aka bottle neck.... however, the ported 65mm is more than enough to over come this bottle neck for $250 so there is no need to pay $389 for the added 10mm Dia because it does you no good.

If it does Im going to go in the drinking straw business making drinking straws that start out 1/4" diameter and in the middle have a 1/2" diameter section, then go back down to a 1/4" and claim they flow more drink... Id make millions!
you're an idiot. 65mm TB $250 bucks plus your TB core trade in, if something happen you're fk. Boombaracing $389 without giving your oem TB. Trust me i know about 65mm fail. 1st one it blew up my engine cause the butterfly bolt back out into cylinder number 4th. 2nd time two butterfly bolts was getting loose causing the butterfly to stick, killing our time attack weekend and over $2000 dollars went to waste.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Was this test done with the Boomba necked down to 65mm with an adaptor plate?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
you're an idiot. 65mm TB $250 bucks plus your TB core trade in, if something happen you're fk. Boombaracing $389 without giving your oem TB. Trust me i know about 65mm fail. 1st one it blew up my engine cause the butterfly bolt back out into cylinder number 4th. 2nd time two butterfly bolts was getting loose causing the butterfly to stick, killing our time attack weekend and over $2000 dollars went to waste.

Let's talk about this.
Anybody else have trouble with the 65mm TB bolts backing out?
I didn't find anything when searching.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by nirvevo
Let's talk about this.
Yeah...no kidding. The only thing I found was a post by vboy425 saying that he ran the Mil.Spec for 3 years before the Boomba.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

From the site;

" Evo VIII-IX 75mm Throttle Body

EVO VIII-IX 75 MM throttle body is designed in such way that it will use stock EVO VIII-IX idle control and TPS. Throttle body has 88 MM bolt holes pattern (Mustang 5.0) and will fit all aftermarket intake manifolds designed for Mustang 5.0 throttle bodies. Our EVO VIII-IX 75 MM throttle body comes as a kit including stock manifold adaptor plate and 60 MM hose adaptor (for those that want to use it immediately with stock intake pipes). Kit also includes 75 MM hose adaptor and all mounting hardware. Throttle bodies are CNC machined out of billet aluminum. Parts are available in natural aluminum, red and black anodized finishes. Increasing diameter to 75 MM gives almost 56% increase in throttle cross section area over stock throttle body. Replacing stock throttle body with our new 75 MM (even with stock pipes and turbo) will give you a few additional HPs and greatly improve engine response. Replacing stock throttle body with our 75 MM throttle body and replacing intake piping with larger diameter (75 MM) gives limitless possibilities of increasing engine power. All parts are manufactured to our legendary high quality standards and backed up by our warranty. "
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by vboy425; Jul 25, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nirvevo
Let's talk about this.
Well it did for me, We race in the time attack series Modified class. It's a full blow race evo. Well it didn't happen to anyone else thanks god. The point is that it happen to me.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boomba Racing
You have to realize that 10mm on diameter gives you a 33% bigger cross section area. We always think of our products as an investment to a potential buyer (that is why we have so many different adaptors). It can be used with a stock set up but as you add more and more mods (bigger piping and manifold) you can still use it. You spent money once and it works for you forever.
TB was designed to be used with 75mm pipes and manifold to uleash its full potential.
I agree with you, and your concept, and Im sure its a fine, well made product.
I just dont see the need for that big of a throttle body.... sorry.....

Originally Posted by rgeier11
In the DSM days, the 2g guys would go from a 52mm to a 60mm 1g throttle body and gain 2-3mph in the quarter mile. So, you're wrong.
I have a 1g, and again, you are right, a 52mm to a 62mm throttle body will give gains if the 52mm is the bottle neck in the system.....

if you are telling me that there is a 52mm ICP, and a 52mm inlet to the intake manifold and you put a 62mm throttle body on there and saw gains you are crazy. You will see VERY small gains because you increased the volume to compensate for the volume taken up from the plate and shaft, but any bigger will not do you any good as far as air flow goes period! You will change your throttle characteristics, for example: if you apply 20* of throttle input you will have a larger area open for air, which essentially dumbs up, and decreases your range of pedal travel. Maybe for drag racing thats a good thing... but in the road race and auto cross world I want to have as much range as I can get with my pedal.....

Wow thank you for the insight!
I have personally rebuilt around 30+ TB, and installed around 10 to 15 millspec and buschur TB and NEVER had a problem with a single one. Im sure the number would be higher, but for the avg. evo owner, you can make 500HP on the stock throttle body and the standard 2.5" IC piping, so there really isn't a need to change them. I have a buschur 65mm on my car that has been on there over 30,000 miles and rebuilt recently by me, and again no problems, and never has had a problem.... I made 620HP on buschur's dyno with it, I think thats enough..... oh and by the way... a 75mm, 65mm, 100mm, whatever size TB with a butter fly will have bolts in it holding the butterfly plate the shaft, just FYI for you.... so who ever you have rebuilding your TBs, you need to tell them to tighten the bolts properly, and that blue lock-tight is a good thing..... or you can send it to me and Ill rebuild it for you if you would like.

As for cost.... yeah its with a core.... so maybe the cost turns out to be a wash if you like keeping your stock stuff, or trying to sell your stock stuff.... I'm cheap.... Ill pay 250 and send in my core before Ill pay $385, the leftover money I can use for something else, maybe a GM 3port (hypothetically speaking) or something that has potential to add considerable HP for very little cost.... to each his own...

Ill leave it at buy this thing, I hope it works out for you!
As for me.... Ill keep my buschur 65mm untill it becomes a bottle neck!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Who's 65mm TB failed and cost you a motor?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
To clear up anything before this turns into forum drama, we have literally hundreds of Evo's with our 65mm throttle bodies. Street Evo's. Street/Strip Evo's. Autocross Evo's. Full-on race Evo's.

Charlie is the only car where we witnessed this failure. And it happened twice...on the same car. And yes, of course the bolts were secured with loctite. We cannot account for what happens to our throttle bodies once we ship them. In addition, we have other full race Evo's, like John Mueller's, who have never had a problem. Ever. Let me make that clear...EVER. On any other TB's than the ones that were on Charlie's car.

So, draw whatever conclusion(s) you would like from these facts.

In addition, I personally paid to replace the piston that was damaged by the first loose bolt. Charlie can vouch for this. He didn't ask me to. I did it out of goodwill because I thought it was the right thing to do. See how many vendors/manufacturers will do that on a full on race car under race conditions. Nothing was damaged the second time around.

Charlie now runs a Boomba TB and likes it. He has a full race Evo with a DI intake manifold along with a 35r, and he probably benefits from the 75mm unit.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jul 25, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsm25psi
boomba dint work for me at all
Care to explain?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
To clear up anything before this turns into forum drama, we have literally hundreds of Evo's with our 65mm throttle bodies. Street Evo's. Street/Strip Evo's. Autocross Evo's. Full-on race Evo's.

Charlie is the only car where we witnessed this failure. And it happened twice...on the same car. And yes, of course the bolts were secured with loctite. We cannot account for what happens to our throttle bodies once we ship them. In addition, we have other full race Evo's, like John Mueller's, who have never had a problem. Ever. Let me make that clear...EVER. On any other TB's than the ones that were on Charlie's car.

So, draw whatever conclusion(s) you would like from these facts.

In addition, I personally paid to replace the piston that was damaged by the first loose bolt. Charlie can vouch for this. He didn't ask me to. I did it out of goodwill because I thought it was the right thing to do. See how many vendors/manufacturers will do that on a full on race car under race conditions. Nothing was damaged the second time around.

Charlie now runs a Boomba TB and likes it. He has a full race Evo with a DI intake manifold along with a 35r, and he probably benefits from the 75mm unit.
i didn't want to end like this, i have cover Mil.spec and kept the incident a secret for very long time. But since it's public now. Well Yes Mil.spec did cover one piston, good for sure Mil.spec. But the engine was toast. I end up spending my money on all new parts. Not counting the hours putting into building a new engine, machine shop cost. Either way it's the past. I continue telling my customers to get Mil.Spec TB.

Last edited by vboy425; Mar 28, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

So can someone explain why increasing the cross sectional area just at the TB would add so much hp (or any for that matter) ? I think the (Boomba / AMS) dyno data is really interesting and am hoping Boomba answer the question (Denver is questioing the same thing). Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
umm...seems like not to many people are fans of the Boomba TB...

I would really like to see this test done on a car with a ported stock intake with a 65mm TB and tuned and then put the Boomba TB on and see the gains with and without tuning...

Quick Reply: 75 mm Boomba Throttle Body VS stock dyno results