Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

75 mm Boomba Throttle Body VS stock dyno results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Charlie, we are sorry you brought this up because everything inevitably turns into a crap storm. Case in point...this thread.

Good luck to you and any future endeavors you may have.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to remind everyone that this thread is about BOOMBA 75 mm TB versus stock dyno results.
Please stop all hijack attempts.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Boomba, was this test done with the 65mm reducer/adaptor? If so, would there be any reason for your TB to give different results than other 65mm TB's, putting aside durability issues? Thx.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:04 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vboy425
you're an idiot. 65mm TB $250 bucks plus your TB core trade in, if something happen you're fk. Boombaracing $389 without giving your oem TB. Trust me i know about 65mm fail. 1st one it blew up my engine cause the butterfly bolt back out into cylinder number 4th. 2nd time two butterfly bolts was getting loose causing the butterfly to stick, killing our time attack weekend and over $2000 dollars went to waste.
Easy on the name-calling man A oem TB can be had for about $100, so $250 + $100 (core) is still less than the boomba. Who's the idiot now? LOL

Originally Posted by nirvevo
Let's talk about this.
Anybody else have trouble with the 65mm TB bolts backing out?
I didn't find anything when searching.
Ya, as referenced above, this is the only person I've ever heard of this happening to, same with the buschur 65mm unit.

Originally Posted by Boomba Racing
Just wanted to remind everyone that this thread is about BOOMBA 75 mm TB versus stock dyno results.
Please stop all hijack attempts.
Back on topic, how well does using 30-70% throttle on this TB work? Seems to me the biggest problem with going to a bigger TB is that you loose the progressive feel and turn your gas pedal into more of an on/off switch. Anything over 20% throttle is basically WOT.

Also, has it been 100% verified that these TB's hold boost? The skunk2 68mm TB looked like such a fantastic unit, but when they put boost to it (an actual boost leak test, not just on the dyno/road) it leaked like crazy.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Our TB holds 50 Psi without any problems.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Boomba, was this test done with the 65mm reducer/adaptor? If so, would there be any reason for your TB to give different results than other 65mm TB's, putting aside durability issues? Thx.
bump for answer. This the third time I've asked in this thread.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Did you guys test the stock tb to see if it had any boost leaks before the dyno? 12hp seems a bit high just for a tb. It's a nice piece, but geez almost $400 for that, plus the dsm adapter at what $40ish then a evo tps. That would cost us dsm guys over $500. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Anybody mentioning this idea that a larger throttle automatically makes the throttle "less sensitive" has completely disregarded the throttle linkage system.

Using a "progressive" throttle cable pulley can make a very large throttle body have the driveability of a small throttlebody.

The factory throttle body pulley is a progressive radius pulley. The higher the cord length moved, the closer the radius gets to the throttle shaft and the faster it opens the throttle blade. If Boomba has done their homework, they could easily duplicate the stock 60mm throttle body driveability and power linearity.

Also, some have neglected the throttle shaft in all of this. I believe the factory shaft is 10mm in diameter. At WOT, that throttle shaft is still blocking the airflow path. Saying a 75mm throttle offers no more flow area then a 65mm throttle because the manifold is still only 62mm and is the restriction is wrong. The 65mm throttle still has less flow cross sectional area then the stock 62mm manifold inlet when you include the throttle shaft. If you were to port the manifold to roughly the largest it can get at 68mm, you’d actually have a pretty good cross sectional match to the 75mm throttle body provided it uses the same 10mm shaft.

I'm NOT saying this has anything to do with making power though. This is also negating how the air will actually flow and is just a comparision of cross sectional area. I'm also not suggesting it's better to use a larger throttle then manifold opening and then tapering it back to match the manifold.

Attached Thumbnails 75 mm Boomba Throttle Body VS stock dyno results-cross-section.jpg  

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 27, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a 600.0whp / 472wtq stock block Evo VIII with Magnus V5 intake manifold and HTA86 turbo on E85 with a STOCK TB on the car now.

Since we have the BEFORE baseline done already, Anything AFTER will be gains in performance, possibly spoolup, whp and tq.

If Boomba is interested in DYNOTESTING independent 3rd party results on a car that actually needs a larger throttle body, this would be the perfect opportunity to demonstrate what high end of the spectrum gains would be on a car of this caliber.

Name:  magnus_dyno_stockTB.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  100.4 KB

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jul 27, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We have a 600.0whp / 472wtq stock block Evo VIII with Magnus V5 intake manifold and HTA86 turbo on E85 with a STOCK TB on the car now.

Since we have the BEFORE baseline done already, Anything AFTER will be gains in performance, possibly spoolup, whp and tq.

If Boomba is interested in DYNOTESTING independent 3rd party results on a car that actually needs a larger throttle body, this would be the perfect opportunity to demonstrate what high end of the spectrum gains would be on a car of this caliber.
Very nice...i would like to see this...hopefully Boomba will respond and we can get some more testing on this new TB...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Test was done with 65 mm adaptor, but we have unported stock manifold.
One of many reasons is that our TB does not leak.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Very nice...i would like to see this...hopefully Boomba will respond and we can get some more testing on this new TB...
Spoke to Kris @ Boomba today and they will be sending us a 75mm Throttle Body and adapter plate for the Magnus Motorsports V5 intake manifold.

We expect to see very nice results.

We will post up and installation and review thread, documenting the install, pressure testing the unit, dynotesting before and after results of the throttle body.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoke to Kris @ Boomba today and they will be sending us a 75mm Throttle Body and adapter plate for the Magnus Motorsports V5 intake manifold.

We will post up and installation and review thread, documenting the install, pressure testing the unit, dynotesting before and after results of the throttle body.
Thank you TTP and Boomba for doing this! It will put all the talk and rumors to rest. Also interested in your results since I'm changing to v5 manifold but can't provide before/after results since the manifold and turbo are changing.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes...Very nice! Thanks for both parties on this...def. looking forward to the results...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Yes...Very nice! Thanks for both parties on this...def. looking forward to the results...
We are about ready for our aluminum rod race engine to go in, but we will hold out for this test on the stock engine. The head is ready to shoot off the block at this point so this will probably be the last test on the stock block build and likely a world record on the stock motor.

Quick Reply: 75 mm Boomba Throttle Body VS stock dyno results