Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS gt30r manifold cracks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS gt30r manifold cracks

My car came with an HKS Gt30r turbo kit. I took off the HKS heat shield and discovered at least 3 cracks in the manifold. The manifold is a t3 flange, and Im looking for a replacement.

Which manifold would you recommend for replacement. Im not afraid to spend money on quality and I dont think I could or even want to get the same manifold.

I just hope I dont have to modify the IC piping or downpipe. Are most manifolds set up at stock position?

The manifold needs to have a t3 flange and have an external wastegate option. this is the only pic of the engine bay I have atm, and will have a pic of the damage shortly once i find my camera

Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

I was checking out this manifold. Im not sure which size wastegate I have (38mm/44mm?). Or are they all the same?

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/p...duct_info.html
Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

i believe you would have to get a new manifold and turbo because of the flange of the hks turbo
Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ekoy
I was checking out this manifold. Im not sure which size wastegate I have (38mm/44mm?). Or are they all the same?

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/p...duct_info.html
your wastegate is also different because the hks is a 4 bolt flange
Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

whatever manifold you get. your going to need a new downpipe aswell. call hks and tell them to warranty that crap.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have a replacement HKS 3037s manifold that I just had ceramic coated for sale if you want it. Your only other option is to have a shop custom make you another manifold. It would also be a good investment to have a shop make a turbo support bracket for you that connects from the hotside of the turbo to the engine block...that's how I have mine set up. This will help prevent futire cracking. PM me for price if you're interested. Here is a pic of the manifold:

Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

the flange is just a t3 flange, Your telling me its unique?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ekoy
the flange is just a t3 flange, Your telling me its unique?
well the pic above looks like a t3 but i remember seeing another kit that had an hks turbo with a different flange...im probably wrong
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've PM'ed BenJ and hopefully Ill be buying his manifold shortly.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

It seems as though the HKS manifolds are prone to cracking. If you do decide to buy another HKS manifold i hope you have better luck with it.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Hopefully next time it cracks Ill already be purchasing Buschurs manifold and FPred!

Btw pics of Crack and manifold

Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Mine cracked in exactly the same spot. Got it welded heat treated and 12 laps on track cracked again at #1 cylinder. The pipes are soo thin. Its really is a piece of s#$t!!!!!!! I'm getting a custom one made up at the moment. Because of the wategate setup your f#$ked either way. I really regret buying this kit now.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Go with the RRE/HAFE cast stainless for durability if you want t3. Otherwise the flavor of the month is these red/bbk etc turbos based upon stock manifold. I would just get the hafe and keep your turbo.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

The manifold will drastically resist cracking if you use the turbo support bracket that HKS supplied in the later kits. It connects the turbo to engine block from the hotside and really does a good job at taking the weight off of the manifold. I highly suggest that everyone who uses this kit invest in this bracket. Not saying that the manifold won't/never crack, but it definitely helps a lot. In the last pic that I posted above you can see the bracket connected to the hotside of the turbo.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Mine has the bracket and still went.....twice. Aparently this is how it should work.haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scDGg...eature=related

Originally Posted by BenJ
The manifold will drastically resist cracking if you use the turbo support bracket that HKS supplied in the later kits. It connects the turbo to engine block from the hotside and really does a good job at taking the weight off of the manifold. I highly suggest that everyone who uses this kit invest in this bracket. Not saying that the manifold won't/never crack, but it definitely helps a lot. In the last pic that I posted above you can see the bracket connected to the hotside of the turbo.

Quick Reply: HKS gt30r manifold cracks