Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission acting up, help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission acting up, help!

Hey guys, recently my tranny decided to make it very hard to go into gear when I'm not moving. This happened out of nowhere when I was leaving my buddies house and realized that it was very hard to get into gear when I'm not moving. I have to rev it up to get into gear or after driving like 30 mins it's a little easier getting into gear when I'm at a stop. During driving, shifting is normal and smooth. There's no grinding and everything seems normal except when I'm at a stop and it's very hard to put it into gear.

Now, what I have done.

I have underhood shifter bushings, which I just greased up. I have shifter base bushings which I just reinstalled, and the problem is still there. The tranny is a Shep Built 5 speed and I recently installed a used AMS Push Type Twin Disc. I resurfaced the flywheel and used the discs that came with it which had about 80% life left. I installed this clutch about 5-6 weeks ago and everything was perfect and about a week ago this started to happen out of nowhere. Tranny and t-case fluid were changed and no leaks. I'm using AMSOIL MTG for tranny fluid. I was using Redline Lightweight fluid before and the tranny shifted perfect before, but I doubt the MTG fluid is causing this. I don't know what to do next or where to even look to fix this. Any ideas what can be causing this??

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:54 AM

What it sound like that you are describing is a clutch that is not fully disengaging at stops or one of your disc's is "dragging" causing this problem.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by allinevo
What it sound like that you are describing is a clutch that is not fully disengaging at stops or one of your disc's is "dragging" causing this problem.
Might be, I talked with AMS today and I might be overextending the hydraulic throwout bearing, so I'm going to play around with trying to go in gear when the clutch is like halfway down or 3/4 down and see what happens. If not that, then I might have to take out the tranny again
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up adjusting the clutch pedal so it has short travel and engages lower down now and it seems fine. It goes in gear every time and no grinding or anything, so I guess I could've been over extending the hydraulic throwout bearing.