Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin dragging?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exedy Twin dragging?

I just recently got my Exedy Twin HD clutch installed. It has over 800 miles on it right now and basically heres my problem. As of right now its sitting in the driveway and doesn't want to go into gear easy any more (when the motor is running) after last weekend at the track.

The clutch was only launched 3 times. After the 3rd pass I noticed the trans not wanting to shift so I didn't run anymore. I parked it and let it sit for about 30 mins before driving home. Since then, the clutch doesn't engage like it used to, which was about 50-60% off the floor and the rest being at the top. I can feel it "touch" off the floor, but I can't get the car moving until the pedal is almost all the way out 85-90% from top.

What gives?

I've already tried to bled the system about 20 times since. It has been done correctly to my knowledge. I released the valve after someone was pressing the pedal to the floor. Tightened the valve while the pedal is at the floor. Pulled the pedal up. Rinse, repeat.

I did notice that after tonight my pedal gained some feel back when I bled it. I actually I turned the motor over and pushed in the clutch and went through the gears while sitting and it felt just like it used to before the track (perfect). However, I took a short drive, about 5 mins.. and after about 2-3 mins the same problem came right back...

Do you guys think that maybe I have a leak in the line somewhere and its just "barely" bleeding pressure or something weird? I did have an SS clutch line installed at the same time.

Now, the car is not impossible to get into gear, its just a little notchy. It bothers me because it wasn't like this before and then also I'm worried that its going to be wearing on the transmission unnecessarily. (Correct me if I'm wrong please). Also it just plain pisses me off.

Any insight? Please help!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Are you losing any fluid?

ps- to check, put the car on jack stands then run it at idle with the clutch pedal in and the shift selector in 1st. If the wheels move at all, the clutch is dragging.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
adjust the the clutch!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:34 PM

To my knowledge, I'm not losing any fluid. I'm wondering if I have a TEENNY leak or something. The funny part is I don't see how launching the clutch would cause a leak?

I will do that tomo and see what happens.

Also though, when I have the car moving under power and I decide to change a gear. If I do it slowly and go from neutral to a gear say... second... I can hear the transmission start moving as soon as I apply pressure downwards toward 2nd gear. Is that normal? And is my description right?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Redbud23
adjust the the clutch!!!!!!!!!!

Already did bro. Its all the way out basically. I triple checked to make sure it wasn't moving or anything.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:27 AM

Anybody have other ideas? I just want some more ideas of what could be up. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

My twin was dragging but closer to the end of its life, not right after I put it in. When I had it rebuilt, the outer plate surrounding the disks had bent slightly, adding unwanted pressure to the disks and thus causing it to drag. I could not even put the car into first at a stop, and had to glide-shift my way home from the track before I had it fixed.

Hopefully this is not your problem, since you just had your clutch put in. But it is another possibility...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:43 AM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by prj.evo
My twin was dragging but closer to the end of its life, not right after I put it in. When I had it rebuilt, the outer plate surrounding the disks had bent slightly, adding unwanted pressure to the disks and thus causing it to drag. I could not even put the car into first at a stop, and had to glide-shift my way home from the track before I had it fixed.

Hopefully this is not your problem, since you just had your clutch put in. But it is another possibility...
This is a VERY good assumption. I have this exact same problem and am waiting for the part to come in. It is called the pivot ring, the metal ring that sits between the cover plate and the pressure plate. The exedy part number is PR01. If you have no leaks, bled the clutch and adjusted it correctly then this is a safe bet.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:11 AM

Good info guys thanks a bunch. Not sure what I'm going to do yet
Old Aug 8, 2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by fid
This is a VERY good assumption. I have this exact same problem and am waiting for the part to come in. It is called the pivot ring, the metal ring that sits between the cover plate and the pressure plate. The exedy part number is PR01. If you have no leaks, bled the clutch and adjusted it correctly then this is a safe bet.
So basically I get to pay for another installation? Great.....

How much was the part btw?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bustin
So basically I get to pay for another installation? Great.....

How much was the part btw?
I am right there with you except I did the install myself. The part is $75.00 or $79.00 if I remember correctly. I shopped around alot and nobody seemed to want to help me with this part except Extreme PSI. I think it is a week and a half lead time on this part from exedy. Give them a call and talk to Nui (pronounced "new"), he will know what you are talking about . Send me a pm if you need the exedy catalog in pdf, it gives a nice parts breakdown of the twin.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Is this the ring you are referring too? If so does anyone have any ideas what causes it to fail so it can be prevented?

Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Is this the ring you are referring too? If so does anyone have any ideas what causes it to fail so it can be prevented?

Yes it is. Nothing really can prevent it from happening. It warps from heat over time is what I was told from a CBRD and also a prominent trans builder. If I were going to rebuild a Exedy twin again I would just replace this along with the disks rather then have to pay someone or tear down the trans again for the sake of $75.