Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR muffler delete pipe and UR cat delete combo!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR muffler delete pipe and UR cat delete combo!

What do you guys think about Buschurs muffler delete pipe and Ultimate Racings cat delete pipe combo. I've recently purchased two brand new vehicles in the same month this year so I'm alittle on the poor side. Instead of going all 3" turbo back, I was wondering if I used stock down pipe, UR cat delete pipe, stock midpipe and BR's muffler delete pipe, if it would give me similar HP results. For $235 dollars($160+$75), if I can even come anywhere near the power the 3" is offering, I would consider it. Has anyone tried this yet? I think this idea plus the AFCII w/mbc would be a great match. I'm not looking for anymore than 350hp. Well let me know what you guys think.

Thai
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

I'll move this thread over to the technical forums. I think you'll get a better answer there.

SC~
Old Oct 13, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, the most restrictive parts in the stock exhaust are the 1) dp and 2) muffler. The cat converter actually flows very well and a "test pipe" will not make "significant" gains (where one just replaces the cat converter and leaves the stock dp and muffler).

Second, 3" turbo back exhausts are "great" if you plan on doing a turbo upgrade in the future... They will no doubt "flow better" - less turbulant in expelling exhaust gases...

With this said, I'm currently running the BUSCHUR muffler delete pipe and will soon be getting the HKS downpipe. I do not plan on upgrading my turbo and aim to squeeze out all the power it can make (ultimately engine management and a boost controller will make most gains). The muffler delete pipe is capeable of the same at the wheel hp as "any" cat back exhaust. It may not be as "pretty" or its "tone" may be crude - but I particularly like the low ruble that it produces... And you can't beat $160 when compared to $600-1000 - the cost of a cat back.

The DP helps you get rid of the kink and poor bends in the stock DP. Aftermarket DP's are mandrel bent, have less bends, and flow better - less turbulance (which is a good thing when making hp). DP's range in the $200-500 area and definitely help things out.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I think a 3" turboback is the way to go. The cat has shown to hold 7-10hp back from dyno results vs. a test pipe. The stock turbo could definitely use the flow enhancements. Not that your idea is no good, I just think a turboback w/ a TP or high-flow 3" cat for ~ $1100 is the best route to go. I also don't think you have to have a turbo upgrade in mind to reach for 3" plumbing, it's a good thing even for the 16g.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Problem solved http://turboimport.com/catalog/evo8.htm

RSR DP and cat delete. $175
All you need now is a catback exhaust or axel back or muffler delete pipe $160
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

could you buy the cat without buying the entire system?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by 4-BNGR
Problem solved http://turboimport.com/catalog/evo8.htm

RSR DP and cat delete. $175
All you need now is a catback exhaust or axel back or muffler delete pipe $160
Holy cow! What a deal. I need to know more about this system. Like what is the diameter?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

The RSR is a dp and test pipe (removes the factory cat converter) all in one. The flange from the RSR dp starts where the cat converter ends on the stock exhaust - that why a cat back exhaust or retaining the mid pipe and going with an axel back or muffler delete pipe will "complete" the exhaust system into a "full turbo back" exhaust...
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

RS-R's downpipe/cat delete pipe + stock midpipe + muffler delete pipe = comparable turbobacks but for only $335. This setup is going to sound loud as hell . So if anyone follows this route, please post sound clips.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:13 AM
EvoM Administrator

Here's the thing. The RSR dp was in Import Tuner (I believe that is the correct publication) last month and actually LOST quite a bit of power on the dyno. Does anyone have that issue handy? That is what is scaring me. Maybe froom boost drop, maybe from no fuel management, but don't most of these systems pick up power anyway? I'll look for the article.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 4-BNGR
[B]First, the most restrictive parts in the stock exhaust are the 1) dp and 2) muffler. The cat converter actually flows very well and a "test pipe" will not make "significant" gains (where one just replaces the cat converter and leaves the stock dp and muffler).
I am not sure this is right 4-BNGR?

Don't take my comment as a flame because its not meant that way. SilverSurfer has been doing some interesting dyno testing of exhaust systems, and cats/test pipes in partciular and the data he has found tends to indicate that the restrictions are most noticeable in the cat-back first (10whp gain), followed by the factory cat (again another 10whp). The Dp (without the 02 housing being altered) is supposedly only worth an additional 5whp or so. Here'a the link to the thread, and Silver Surfers comments are in his 7th post on the first page.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=37340

He had some very interesting dyno data comparing stock cat to a generic free-flow cat, to a Random free-flow cat, and then a test pipe. There was no doubt that the generic free-flow cat offered little improvement over the stock cat. The Random flowed much better though, and was the closest in improving performance next to a test pipe solution.

I am running a Works exhale axle-back muffler delete, and have seriously considered looking at RNR racings resonator test pipe in place of the cat. Ultimately Works will have a 3" mid-pipe solution which will employ free-flow resonators keeping the noise down to a minimum and eliminating any potential for droning. This product will be specifically engineered to function as a complimentary component for the Exhale pipe.

Because Works keeps their products in alignment with stock mounting points, etc..., the new mid-pipe when it finally debuts, should be able to be used with other manufacturers axle-back solutions as well.

N10S
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

I agree with your order of restriction for exhaust components, N10S. I think air:fuel tuning and boost control are the most restrictive part of the whole equation before even addressing exhaust. But when you go to exhaust, it starts with the muffler, then the cat, dp, midpipe, and lastly the 02 housing.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

If you're getting a cat delete pipe, go for the UR piece, because it comes with something to make the car not trip the check engine light. Not sure if the other companies have something for this included with their test pipes.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well, that means that if I went with UR cate delete pipe and BR muffler delete pipe I would gain close to 20whp. That's not bad especially for the money. The reason why I didnt want to mess with the stock DP was because I heard you loose alot of low end grunt. I want to keep as much low end as possible but also retain some more power top end. I think this combo plus BR's AFCII settings might just do the job. You guys think I might be close to 350hp?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 06:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Found out something interesting. The RSR DP is 2.36" (60mm) in some plaves and up to 65mm in other places. Thought it worth bumping the thread, because BLECH! Too small!