Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Boost only w/ full throttle and above 4,500

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Boost only w/ full throttle and above 4,500

Need some troubleshooting advice. Car won't build boost until approx 4500 rpm with max throttle. Max boost i get right now is about 7.5 psi. Messed with the boost controller to see if that was the issue (wasn't). I even have the car set up right now to just use wastegate pressure w/ no luck.

Did a boost leak test and car was leaking bad. Found a leaking hose off of the intake manifold. Replaced the hose. Accomplished another leak test, and car is rock steady at 25 psi; but car is still doing the same problem described above.

I bought the car and pretty sure it had some mods on it previously, but returned to stock (except it has a downpipe on it now.) I am thinking the turbo has just gone bad, or maybe the flash on the ECU is for mods that were previously on the car, and wasn't flashed back to stock??

Also, how do you really test the turbo wastegate?

Any input is appreciated. THANKS
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:34 PM

I have the same problem!! did you find out what was causing it??
Ants.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by suekie
Need some troubleshooting advice. Car won't build boost until approx 4500 rpm with max throttle. Max boost i get right now is about 7.5 psi. Messed with the boost controller to see if that was the issue (wasn't). I even have the car set up right now to just use wastegate pressure w/ no luck.

Did a boost leak test and car was leaking bad. Found a leaking hose off of the intake manifold. Replaced the hose. Accomplished another leak test, and car is rock steady at 25 psi; but car is still doing the same problem described above.

I bought the car and pretty sure it had some mods on it previously, but returned to stock (except it has a downpipe on it now.) I am thinking the turbo has just gone bad, or maybe the flash on the ECU is for mods that were previously on the car, and wasn't flashed back to stock??

Also, how do you really test the turbo wastegate?

Any input is appreciated. THANKS
Are you running a vaccum line (intake mani) to the wastegate or a boost reference line (directly off of the turbo)? Cam timing could be off. Could be a bad wastegate diaphram.

Last edited by CWhiteRun; Oct 28, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:08 PM

I'm not great at stuff like this, but how its not boosting would kind of make me think that the ECU is limiting it in some way?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MajorGunHo
I'm not great at stuff like this, but how its not boosting would kind of make me think that the ECU is limiting it in some way?
the ecu only has control of the boost above wastegate spring pressure. I would be looking at the actually turbo, pull the intake and check the shaftplay. also make sure nothing is restriciting the air from entering the turbo such as the stock intake snorkel not be properly fastened to the rad support
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you check the compression? My friends Evo 9 dropped 4 lbs of boost , found that his rings were bad. If the compression is low it means less air going to the turbo. If compression is good move to the turbo. Compression would have to be very low to only make 7.5lbs.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:18 PM

Have you checked for exhaust leaks? You sure your wastegate arm isn't flapping in the wind?