Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 8 OEM rods vs 1G DSM Bog Rods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8 OEM rods vs 1G DSM Bog Rods

Hi there , i wanted to know which one oh these is stronger an evo 8 rod or a 1G big rod, from the photo you guys can see that the 1G big rod(to the right) looks wider but I am not sure which one is stronger.

Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
1G rod is stronger.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

what, are you thinking of machining it to fit on an evo?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have a friend that works @ a machine shop and he can have its pin bore out 1mm to fit the evo pistons, I just wanted to know which one was stronger. Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:39 PM

I wondered if this would work I have a couple sets of 1g rods laying around.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

eagles rods are only like $350 a set, unless your trying to prove somthing,...
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:15 PM

size is not everything my friend, research the how the tecniques have shanged since the two rods were first made. plus consider the age of the two and the steps you will have to take to ensure that the rods themselves are not cracking. just a thought buddy.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:23 PM

i cant see a 1g rod being stronger than the evos. and is that a heat mark on that 1g rod? cuz then i def dont think that particular rod will be strong at all lol
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

1g big rods are definitely stronger than evo 8 OEM rods. They have put down strong numbers and can hold more power.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

This is an interesting thread, and hopefully someone can chime in with a more definitive answer.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1g 6 bolt rods have long been proven stronger than 7 bolt rods in all applications Evolution and DSM. The stock hardware is alot beefier too, just look at the 14mm head bolt versus the 7 bolt's tiny 12mm's. This is probably one of the reasons Evo guys go to ARP hardware on stock rods due to flinging off rod caps at high RPM's/power levels. ARP hardware was never a major upgrade on the 1g cars.

However I would at least have them scoped out by a reputable machine shop and maybe shot peened before using them, unless you know they came out of a good low milage un abused engine.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

bringing the thead from the dead because me and my friend were talking about this subject but i still can not find the RIGHT answer. We all know that evo oem internals can hold up to 500-600 whp, and it has been proven millions of times, now after seeing that evo oem rod are sooo much thinner than the 1g rods, how come all this power is possible??? Is it the material on the evo rods better/stronger?? Can some more people chime on this matter, which doesnt seem to be resolved in this old thread...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
500-600 WHP ??? for how long?? depend on the tune it'll last for a period of time...but its not like you make that power and the car is bullet proof....I realize that torque folds rods...but 500-600whp seems excessive...yes it has been done....but I'm not sure on the reliability.

What’s the point of upgrading rod bolts, there are plenty of rods that are fairly good that are priced competitively.

....just dont see the point in digging into the bottom end of your car to replace it with OEM hardware..but thats just me/
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:12 PM

i think as long as the tuner is reputable and good that 500-600whp isn't really pushing the envelope. My buddy's put down 556whp without any problems and he wasnt the first either but i do agree why tear into a bottom end just to leave the stock rods? You can get brand new eagles for cheap or used even cheaper if your on a budget
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by erald01
bringing the thead from the dead because me and my friend were talking about this subject but i still can not find the RIGHT answer. We all know that evo oem internals can hold up to 500-600 whp, and it has been proven millions of times, now after seeing that evo oem rod are sooo much thinner than the 1g rods, how come all this power is possible??? Is it the material on the evo rods better/stronger?? Can some more people chime on this matter, which doesnt seem to be resolved in this old thread...
I think the reason is because the DSM rods are cast and the EVO rods are forged.

The Evo rods (as far as I know) are the same dimensions of the DSM 7 bolt rods, but the DSM were cast and the Evo are forged. The forging is where the strength comes from and why the apparently little rods can hold so much power.

I personally wouldn't consider running old 1G big rods in an Evo with the options out there now for upgrades. I would say the Evo rods are better anyway. But again, just my opinion and basing off of forged vs cast (if that truly is the case).

Quick Reply: EVO 8 OEM rods vs 1G DSM Bog Rods