Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Amsoil Manual Tranny MTG vs Amsoil Severe Gear SVG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I'd been running the Amsoil MTG in my 6 speed gear box for almost two years now. While the MTG gives better shifting than the stock Diaqueen, shifting is still not as smooth as I would like. I had been thinking about running the Severe Gear SVG in my gear box for a while because its got a higher film strength and perhaps would help extend the life of my 6-speed now that I'm up around 360 wtq. However, since its not designed for synchro trannies, I thought the shifting would suck with it. Anyhow, I decided to give it a go when changing the gear oil a few weeks ago. Its a bit notchy when the tranny is cold, but once the gear box gets nice and toasty, the stuff gives better shifting than the MTG. Granted its only been a few weeks, but so far, I'm pleased. I'll report back in a few months.

For the diffs, ring and gear assemblies found in the transfer case and rear diff, fluid used is SVG because of the high loads seen in that system

yep many folks are running SVG 140 with higher horsepower, over 700WHP this to help them protect gears because of its ability of high shear streght, and the SVG is still yellow metal friendly, however we will stil continue to reccomend MTG Gl4 for the evo trannys unless the customer wants otherwise, like we had many customers say they want to run 75w140 because they have high torque engines

the only difference is that SVG was not designed to meet the specs of the tranny however is still a GL4 fluid,,,, and once you modified your car to over 400whp all bets are off.

great topic Fred, and great feedback

Last edited by apagan01; Sep 11, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxman
Any updates to the use of MTG/SVG versus Diaqueen for the 6sp? Interested cause I am considering switching over from Diaqueen on my 6sp.

Also, what fluid is recommended for the TC? I have to change that out too.

AMSOIL MTG is a 75W-90 fluid as the SVG but has specific additives for the synchro's. SVG may be used as a substitute but is not a 'recommended' fluid.

AMSOIL does NOT have a recommended fluid for the rear diff of the EVO at this time. The previous recommendation for SVG has been pulled.

Although, there are a lot of EVO owners using SVG, AMSOIL recommends Mits Fluid only at this particular time.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

LG