Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Amsoil Manual Tranny MTG vs Amsoil Severe Gear SVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Amsoil Manual Tranny MTG vs Amsoil Severe Gear SVG

I'd been running the Amsoil MTG in my 6 speed gear box for almost two years now. While the MTG gives better shifting than the stock Diaqueen, shifting is still not as smooth as I would like. I had been thinking about running the Severe Gear SVG in my gear box for a while because its got a higher film strength and perhaps would help extend the life of my 6-speed now that I'm up around 360 wtq. However, since its not designed for synchro trannies, I thought the shifting would suck with it. Anyhow, I decided to give it a go when changing the gear oil a few weeks ago. Its a bit notchy when the tranny is cold, but once the gear box gets nice and toasty, the stuff gives better shifting than the MTG. Granted its only been a few weeks, but so far, I'm pleased. I'll report back in a few months.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah keep us updated....wonder how a mtg/svg would work....hhhmmmm.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I'd been running the Amsoil MTG in my 6 speed gear box for almost two years now. While the MTG gives better shifting than the stock Diaqueen, shifting is still not as smooth as I would like. I had been thinking about running the Severe Gear SVG in my gear box for a while because its got a higher film strength and perhaps would help extend the life of my 6-speed now that I'm up around 360 wtq. However, since its not designed for synchro trannies, I thought the shifting would suck with it. Anyhow, I decided to give it a go when changing the gear oil a few weeks ago. Its a bit notchy when the tranny is cold, but once the gear box gets nice and toasty, the stuff gives better shifting than the MTG. Granted its only been a few weeks, but so far, I'm pleased. I'll report back in a few months.
mrfred, be carefull, although iam sure you will be ok overthere at the end of the day is a 90 oil.

i have had hundreds of customers give me all kinds of different input on the shifting performance of the MTG in their 5spd and 6spd, lots of customers giving me the feedback and saying the same you have noticed, the tranny gets smoother once at or close to operating temp, others saying buttery feel from the getgo.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:49 PM

Both MTG and SVG are 75W-90 Lubes. AMSOIL does not recommend mixing these products. MTG is the recommended lube even though SVG will not cause any problems as the SVG carries the important GL-4 rating. MTG has additives specifically for the Synchro's.

LG
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
Both MTG and SVG are 75W-90 Lubes. AMSOIL does not recommend mixing these products. MTG is the recommended lube even though SVG will not cause any problems as the SVG carries the important GL-4 rating. MTG has additives specifically for the Synchro's.

LG
If it shifts better, then it must be working well with the synchros, and as you said, SVG is proven to be compatible with brass. The real test will be how well it shifts three months and six months from now. If its still shifting better than the MTG, then I see no point in using the MTG because the SVG is designed for higher gear pressures.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just changed all my fluids and put some MTG in. I miss having access to a lift...3.5hrs on your back with the car on jackstands changing fluids by yourself in 90 degree weather can really make somebody angry...let me tell you.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dbsears
Just changed all my fluids and put some MTG in. I miss having access to a lift...3.5hrs on your back with the car on jackstands changing fluids by yourself in 90 degree weather can really make somebody angry...let me tell you.
For the tranny and TC, do you use a funnel with a long tube to dump in the oil from above the engine bay rather than screw around with a hand pump under the car?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:43 AM

If it shifts better, then it must be working well with the synchros, and as you said, SVG is proven to be compatible with brass. The real test will be how well it shifts three months and six months from now. If its still shifting better than the MTG, then I see no point in using the MTG because the SVG is designed for higher gear pressures.
I agree.. Hope it didn't sound like I was saying otherwise, just that the MTG is made for the Application and is the cross for the OEM Fluid..

The newer EVO's that Spec the "Special Fluid" is a 70W-80 which is a match for MTF. I have always recommended the MTG because of the use most EVO's see.

LG
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have used SVG with no problems and if ever the MTG wasn't available, the SVG would be used
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

im pretty sure I used SVG in mine too.
shifts like butter all the time (in summer months)
havent had it in cold weather yet.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the tranny and TC, do you use a funnel with a long tube to dump in the oil from above the engine bay rather than screw around with a hand pump under the car?
I used a handpump, big long one about the size of a grease gun with about ~2ft of tubing. When I usually did it on a lift that was easiest. Under the car sucking 90wt out of the diaqueen can gave me a workout thats for sure. Not the easiest but it's doable. MTG was very easy as I left the bottles in the sun so sucking that fluid out was rather simple.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

I used a handpump, big long one about the size of a grease gun with about ~2ft of tubing. When I usually did it on a lift that was easiest. Under the car sucking 90wt out of the diaqueen can gave me a workout thats for sure. Not the easiest but it's doable. MTG was very easy as I left the bottles in the sun so sucking that fluid out was rather simple.
If you have to do it from under the car again, I recommend doing the fillup with a funnel and long tubing. Autozone, etc sells the combo. I had to add a couple of feet of additional tubing and step-down in tubing size so the tube would fit through the fill holes.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:49 AM

Next time you get your AMSOIL, invest $9.95 for the pump (G-2039) that screws right on their bottles from qts to 2.5 gallon jugs. 10 bucks just makes life simple..

LG
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
Next time you get your AMSOIL, invest $9.95 for the pump (G-2039) that screws right on their bottles from qts to 2.5 gallon jugs. 10 bucks just makes life simple..

LG
Does it leak cause i've gotten those pumps before or similar and it just leaked like crazy.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Does it leak cause i've gotten those pumps before or similar and it just leaked like crazy.

It is a pretty decent pump.. I have sold quite a few of them and some to shops with no complaints.

LG

Quick Reply: Amsoil Manual Tranny MTG vs Amsoil Severe Gear SVG