Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur is what is needed for a reliable 9sec DD!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't mean to act like a jerk with my last post.

I just want the average owner to see how tough the road can be running a big power Evo. When I built my Evo I thought the motor would let go. Turns out the motor has been fine, but not the t-cases, rear diff, gearbox, clutches, turbo bearings, etc, etc, etc...

For sure, the 3 amigos have been an incredible testament to Buschur Racing. But I think it should be recognized they are probably the rosiest examples of high power Evo ownership.

I mean Dave, what percentage of your hi power customers have an experience like Jeff? Running as many passes/miles and only needing a rear diff?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=crcain;7417166]I could swear the 9sec9 / OKIX car has probably had about 5 different blocks in it and probably had the head off 10 or 15 times! How many distinct blocks have you had in that car and how many times have you had to pull the head off?[\QUOTE]

We have 2 engines. The backup and the one we're running. I bought the backup as a brand new engine from DB. He broke it down and built it for us. By having the complete backup motor, we don't take chances if even the head gasket fails. I take the opportunity to swap the entire engine and freshen up the old one. It's been during one of the 'freshen up' sessions that we discovered piston coating failure on our custom built pistons. We changed the entire engine and rebuilt it. DB received credit from JE on the pistons and we then used the new pistons in our next build.

The head has been on and off of the 2 engines probably 7 or 8 times, but one time a shift in the core created a thinner wall than normal and caused a crack. The water pump didn't circulate through the head/gasket properly on 2 occassions when we tested reverse flow on the IX. When it comes to not taking chances, I seize the opportunity to avoid future problems as opposed to fixing one after it happens. We have NEVER had an engine block/crank/rod/bearing failure. I've gone so far as to have DB put new rods/bolts and pistons in the engine when we were just freshening it up. I won't take chances on the rods/pistons. The first expense is usually the cheapest. Don't get me wrong. We've had our share of issues in the past, but most of them dealt with true R&D. The last failure was when I was testing nitromethane and the injector being used was larger than I had used for the calculatiions. The %'age should have been less than 4%. On that, we had a headgasket/head melted failure. It's since been fixed and is now the backup at Buschur Racing. We have not used the Nitro before nor since that failure, but that's not to say we won't revisit it sometime in the future.

Sorry Jeff for the OT. Just a good opportunity to emphasize the importance of doing maintenance and seizing the moment to avoid future problems which will probably be more expensive.

Last edited by 9sec9; Aug 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4

Very smart to freshen it up, now you have worry free time to beat on her once again.

What does buschur do for a "refresh maintainance"? Sounds like more folks should do this...
I will do new rings, pistons, rods, and valve springs for starters.

Originally Posted by project_skyline
ALL of my parts list for the this winter/spring are buschur stuff. I can't wait to get my 2.3 and stage III head.

BR ftw on price, quality, and reliability.
Fixed that for ya man

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Nice writeup Jeff.. If only you had an Evo 8 you could have finished off the top 20 parts with Bf272's.. LOL

Was nice to see you this past weekend.. Had a great time and was nice to see you go lap after lap without issues.. good luck..

Mike
IX's have better heads Those cams aint gonna make up for there greatness

It was great to see you and the crew buddy, you guys are hardcore!

Originally Posted by SloRice
Nice writeup Jeff. You definately speak the truth! These cars definately aren't indestructible, but BR makes them about as close to that as they can!

Good seeing you this past weekend. We'll have to make our way out to Vegas again and party!
Timmy you are right, they arent indestructible, but mine sure does seem like it... NO FEAR BRO!

Originally Posted by crcain
And there is no such thing as a reliable 9 sec DD!
Mine has been for 2 years, I am willing to beat it would go longer.

Originally Posted by CBRD
JEFF,

looks awesome man,

and pimpin ain't easy but those buschur parts and a CBRD rad certainly helps lol!

send me some sealer lol

cb
Thanks bud! You are 1 cool dude, thanks letting me hang out in the CBRD A/C trailer this weekend... the beer was yummy

I have 7 tubes of the ultimate VW glue for ya, is that enough?

Last edited by vwjeff; Aug 20, 2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

I didn't mean to act like a jerk with my last post.

I just want the average owner to see how tough the road can be running a big power Evo. When I built my Evo I thought the motor would let go. Turns out the motor has been fine, but not the t-cases, rear diff, gearbox, clutches, turbo bearings, etc, etc, etc...

For sure, the 3 amigos have been an incredible testament to Buschur Racing. But I think it should be recognized they are probably the rosiest examples of high power Evo ownership.

I mean Dave, what percentage of your hi power customers have an experience like Jeff? Running as many passes/miles and only needing a rear diff?
Shauns @ AWD's car has been running over a year and hasnt needed anything.. Buschur Longblock setup without any issues.. the car ran 9.7's@143.. He doesnt track it alot but does see street duty without any issues...

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, You cannot say this is a DD, when you are clearly not DD'n the car. Daily Driven is exactly what it states, drove every day.

I think it's time that someone with some serious cred should really break down the entire cost of ownership of a car like this if you want to drive it all the time. Wear and tear of TRULY daily driven car like this will own your wallet over a very short period of time.

You cannot put a couple hundred miles a week on these cars at big power levels and expect to continue to beat them up on the street and at the track without planning to pay for maintenance and more then just refreshes. No matter who is building your car there will be downtime, and cost.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ok the problem with my rear diff was while doing maintaince on the car before a private track rental at Norwalk last year I noticed my mustache bar was cracked (which Dave took care of) I had 1 of the 1st bars and there was flaw in them that has since been resolved. When I went to install the stock bar into the car, the lower bolt when taking it out pulled the threads from the case cover. Stupid me thought 2 will be ok, and boy was I wrong.
Anyway 9sec9 had a diff to get me home... thanks again pops! And AWD Mikey hooked up with a good used diff so I could get 9sec9's back to him cause him and Indy just started to work on that spool.

Originally Posted by 9sec9
[\QUOTE]

Sorry Jeff for the OT. Just a good opportunity to emphasize the importance of doing maintenance and seizing the moment to avoid future problems which will probably be more expensive
That is my point for freshing it up. That is not OT.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juice_evo_VII
IMHO, You cannot say this is a DD, when you are clearly not DD'n the car. Daily Driven is exactly what it states, drove every day.

I think it's time that someone with some serious cred should really break down the entire cost of ownership of a car like this if you want to drive it all the time. Wear and tear of TRULY daily driven car like this will own your wallet over a very short period of time.

You cannot put a couple hundred miles a week on these cars at big power levels and expect to continue to beat them up on the street and at the track without planning to pay for maintenance and more then just refreshes. No matter who is building your car there will be downtime, and cost.
I did however DD the car last year, with ALOT of late night street runs. Sure this year I have not drivin it as much, but none the less it sat for 5 months and it just fires up and a keeps on tickin
I did services on the car when they where needed, nothing more and nothing less.
You are mistaken to think the maintaince is high on this car, its the same as yours.
Sure DD sucks with a triple plate clutch, but you get use to it.

**EDIT** Something else I wanna point out here. I aint no 20 year old kid thats races from stop light to stop light and WOT everywhere I go thinking I am John Force cause I have an Evo. So things stay together and last, I do the speed limit, and dont race every Civic, Camero, Mustang or whatever car pipes me at a stoplight or on the highway.

Last edited by vwjeff; Aug 20, 2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

a DD for the majority of us is not something that needs "freshening up" every couple of thousand miles. About everytime I change my oil you rebuild your motor. Not a DD in my opinion but to each his own.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo003
a DD for the majority of us is not something that needs "freshening up" every couple of thousand miles. About everytime I change my oil you rebuild your motor. Not a DD in my opinion but to each his own.
You must be lost.. so you change your oil ever 8k miles?? jeff has 8k miles on his motor and hasnt had to rebuild.. Shaun here has atleast 6k miles on his without any issues at all.. He just changes oil and plugs..

The main reason why his car lasts like he said is because he doesnt rip it on every light and every civic that revs at him.. he doesnt let his friends drive it so they can all see how fast it is.. I dont care who builds your car.. it will blow up if you abused it like daily..
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juice_evo_VII

I'll be honest and say my car is NOT my DD. I have a nice plush automatic slow DD that I drive most of the time. With that said, I do drive my car to work once or twice a week (60 miles round trip through stop and go rush hour traffic). I do drive my car to my girlfriend's house a couple times a week (50 miles round trip). I've driven my car from southern Ohio to Northern Ohio to go to BR or for the various Shootouts at Norwalk 8....count it, 8 times in the last 15 months. That is a 600 mile round trip journey and I'm usually racing it, so it better not break because that's how I'm getting home!

I have about 15,000 miles on my complete build. The only problem I've had is the transfer case started to separate. Come to find out the open diff doesn't like 500+whp. Bought a used Evo9 LSD and had Dan Buschur rebuild the TC and put a big bolt kit in. I also switched from the Tilton C/C to an Exedy Cerametallic triple disk to make the car more fun on the street.

But i'm also like Jeff....I don't go driving like i'm in F&F all the time. I do the regular maintenance too....oil changes every 1500 miles or so and I change all the drivetrain fluids once a year. That's it.

If you want a real testament....ask SPIN2GST....his POS DD died back in the spring and he's been DD'ing his Evo ever since....every day, rain or shine.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Just would like to add to this as well:

From the start of my build i have had nothing but the best service and care i could have with Buschur racing. From busting their chops to find me a exedy tripple rebuild kit a few days before the shootout, right to making sure my trans/t-case and turbo were all there for me as fast as can be and ready for pick up when i make the 6hr trip. I will get a occasional pm from Dave asking me how the car is doing and if there is anything else they can assist me with the build. I have had him and the guys go above and beyond the call of duty with my car/parts i needed! I have not had one single Buschur part ever go back to their shop for adjusting/rust/etc etc they build parts to last! I just want to say thank you to Dave, Dan, Nick and Jarrod for taking care of me 110% of the time and i hope we can add another 9'second evo to the Buschur family..
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
You must be lost.. so you change your oil ever 8k miles?? jeff has 8k miles on his motor and hasnt had to rebuild.. Shaun here has atleast 6k miles on his without any issues at all.. He just changes oil and plugs..

The main reason why his car lasts like he said is because he doesnt rip it on every light and every civic that revs at him.. he doesnt let his friends drive it so they can all see how fast it is.. I dont care who builds your car.. it will blow up if you abused it like daily..
I'm not lost. My first evo Viii had 90K and no freshen up needed. My current IX has 40K, no freshen up needed. Those are daily drivers to the majority of people on here. If you have the extra cash to rebuild the motor every 8K then so be it I'm not telling you not to. I'm just saying that for most people a car that needs to be rebuilt every 10K or so does not fall into the category of DD. At least in my opinion. If you can afford to drive this everyday, good for you. With the amount of mileage I put on my car every day I would only need about 3 rebuilds a year.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Where are you getting this required 8k rebuild from?? It's not necessary...Jeff is just doing it to get a warm fuzzy feeling and sleep better at night. Like I said, I have 15k on my build and SPIN2GST has well over 20k on his.

Yea, these motors probably aren't going to 90k like your old car. Hell they probably won't go 40k either. But your car never made 600+whp and never spun the motor to 10,000RPM. There is a little give and take here.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo003
I'm not lost. My first evo Viii had 90K and no freshen up needed. My current IX has 40K, no freshen up needed. Those are daily drivers to the majority of people on here. If you have the extra cash to rebuild the motor every 8K then so be it I'm not telling you not to. I'm just saying that for most people a car that needs to be rebuilt every 10K or so does not fall into the category of DD. At least in my opinion. If you can afford to drive this everyday, good for you. With the amount of mileage I put on my car every day I would only need about 3 rebuilds a year.
What does your car run or make for power?

Big AL has 2 or 3 full years of racing on his evo with no motor problems, running buschur motor.

Jeff doesn't NEED to rebuild his motor he just wants to, there is a difference.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. Buschurs the way to go=)

Quick Reply: Buschur is what is needed for a reliable 9sec DD!