Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injectors leaking boost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fuct
How big does a boost leak have to be before it concerns you, if the car makes boost like it should, but there is a 1/16" vacuum leak.................is that really a big concern?

if you look at the manifold vacuum and it is stilll making 17" at idle...what all the alarm for
Well all boost leaks should concerns me as long as they rob power. Most boost leaks will not affect idle or normal driving or even WOT acceleration other than loss in performance.

If you have any leaks find it and take care of it. Because your car might run ok with it, but its not at its full potential.

Example, my car is supposed to be around 115 mph trap speed (give or take) with mods below but with my leak its as slow as stock trapping 105 mph. And before the tune with just an exhaust and air filter I was trapping 107.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leaks there are actually quite common, along with throttle body shaft seals
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a leak exactly where you have yours. At first my tuner got these thicker O-rings and we used those.. then we found out that my car's timing was off. It was just off enough that the car ran fine, but it wasnt making the power it was supposed to. Try checking your timing and if all the marks, like the ones toward the bottom of the engine.

hope this helps
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:57 PM

This is a quite common occurance. I've replaced my injector insulators twice since I posted the my thread on this back in Oct 07. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ill-stock.html
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznDragonV
I had a leak exactly where you have yours. At first my tuner got these thicker O-rings and we used those.. then we found out that my car's timing was off. It was just off enough that the car ran fine, but it wasnt making the power it was supposed to. Try checking your timing and if all the marks, like the ones toward the bottom of the engine.

hope this helps
I'm on stock untouched valve train etc... So I dont think my timing would be off and I never mis shifted or did anything that would cause that issue.

As soon as the O-ring comes in (hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to install them and do another leak test. If I am not too happy with the seal (how snug the injectors will be), I will shave the stock fuel rail spacers to make it tighter.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deathtracks
This is a quite common occurance. I've replaced my injector insulators twice since I posted the my thread on this back in Oct 07. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ill-stock.html
For some reason I either havent seen that thread or dont remember it. But thanks for posting.

Where the injectors nice and snug after replacing the o-rings? With mine I can rotate them with a little effort. I was expecting them to be more tightly in place. Also if I try wiggling them with some effort the boost leak would change in tone, as if it seals a little then leaks.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:04 PM

They weren't so tight that it was hard to rotate the injectors but when putting the new insulators in the manifold the they didn't just drop in like the old ones but rather had a slight interference fit. If you noticed I also listed the NAPA part number in the other thread. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

for reference, this is why its good to do a boost leak test regulalrly.
I did mine like 2 months ago and found a huge one and fixed is in the licp.
Now I did cams and clutch and all that and figured Id might wanna check just in case cuz i took soo much **** off the car
Well i tested and so far I had an enormous leak at the throttle body gasket today. Not the butterfly seals, but the actual gasket. I rtv'd that **** up and gonna test again to see the IM gasket seal and injector seals because of this post.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I just did a leak test this afternoon before my track day and #3 was pissing some serious air. Putting very little pressure with my finger on the injector stopped the leak, but then I could hear small ones from the others. Squirted soapy water at the manifold and lots of bubbles from all of them. So from all the heat and wear of racing they've shrank and hardened. Ordered mine should be here Friday hopefully.

I have the same concern about how "loose" the oem rail keeps the oem injectors in place. Hopefully when I go with a diff fuel system that'll get solved. But i'll try the shaving of the spacer in the meantime.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know how the shaving goes.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

hate to bring this back from the dead, but i've run into this problem twice already on the same injector location. First time I noticed it @ 14k miles and now I have 24k again. I also started to smell a faint gas smell in the cabin under WOT...note that I also drive an RS so i'm lacking firewall insulation to smell this!

I think most people are unaware of this problem because we constantly change injectors/seals anyway.

Last edited by ixbreaker; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

bump again...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Last time when I changed them, I did a boost leak check and they held fine.

But I'm seriously considering taking off those fuel rail spacers and trimming them slightly. This way the rail can push down the injectors with some more pressure for a better seal. STM sells these spacers, so even if I change my mind I can replace them easily.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWD_Terror
FIC makes these really good tight seals made from some space aged materials. lol.
Id check those out.
They are called Viton Seals