Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

US spec EVO 50/50 torque split? Also another question...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003 | 08:48 PM

US spec EVO 50/50 torque split? Also another question...

Hey guys I'm new here. I've been a member of DSMTALK for almost 3 years now, and now I'm very interested in switching to either the EVO 8 or Subaru STI.

I like how the 4g63 is easy to work on and the looks of the EVO 8, but there's one major drawback..... it's 50/50 torque split. If I'm wrong please correct me because it would be a pleasant surprise. I understand that the Evo's in japan has always been 40f/60r torque split, abling it to drift, do donuts, no understeer, easier on drivetrain on hardlaunches etc etc.

Last time I was at the Mitsu dealership the salesman told me it's 50/50, and that 04' is the only year the EVO is going to be produced in the US.... True or false?

The STI's most appealing aspect is the DCCD, driver can control the torque split. Say if the US spec has a watered down 50/50 split differiential, can a Japanese spec differiential be swapped in for the 40f/60r torque split?

Thanks ahead.
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

It's a 50/50 torque split. The USDM evo has a mechanical center diff, however some do believe it's the most 'natural' handling of the Evos due to the simpler drivetrain. Also, the torque split is variable, but only when reacting to traction loss at an axle as opposed to the active center diff. However all the things you mentioned are possible with our evo given a driver of sufficient ability. Also, an ACD retrofit is more or less impossible, so forget about it. Finally, I would drive both cars before deciding that the STi is superior. The Evo has won the majority of magazine shootouts despite its 'inferior' feature set. Also you are going to be flamed for asking your question without searching. be warned.
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

i wish the usdm evo 8 had a mechanical center diff but the truth is its a viscous coupler diff.
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 10:19 PM

I somehow have to disagree with you nsnguyen. With a 50/50 torque split the car is "safer" to drive, it's more user friendly for the people that aren't as skilled. You won't have some 16 yr old rich punk going into an offramp hot and lose the back end. However the sporty handling is lost. Without a doubt it is still a very good handling car, but on the track or auto X, even the drag strip, the 50/50 hinders performance.

At this time the STI does seem to have the edge over the EVO. 2.5L engine, DCCD, more power.

PS: Thanks for the warning, but if I get flamed for asking this question, you should be grateful I'm not coming on here asking 2F2F questions, or "what bov sounds the best", or "how can I make my car into a 12 second car"....etc etc. You get the point
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

However the sporty handling is lost.
BWAHAAHAHAA. I guess everything is relative. The Evo probably doesn't handle as well as a F1 car but it certainly out handles a stock STi (ask anyone who's driven both - an Evo and STi, that is).
Old Oct 14, 2003 | 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MaxR
i wish the usdm evo 8 had a mechanical center diff but the truth is its a viscous coupler diff.
Whoops, that's what I meant to say.. regardless, the diff sending powers to slipping wheels is the function of a VCU. A mechanical diff would actually behave in the reverse, sending power through an open diff to the wrong end. Why do you wish it was mechanical? Or do you mean you wish it was some sort of helical device?
Old Oct 14, 2003 | 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie
I somehow have to disagree with you nsnguyen. With a 50/50 torque split the car is "safer" to drive, it's more user friendly for the people that aren't as skilled. You won't have some 16 yr old rich punk going into an offramp hot and lose the back end. However the sporty handling is lost. Without a doubt it is still a very good handling car, but on the track or auto X, even the drag strip, the 50/50 hinders performance.

At this time the STI does seem to have the edge over the EVO. 2.5L engine, DCCD, more power.

PS: Thanks for the warning, but if I get flamed for asking this question, you should be grateful I'm not coming on here asking 2F2F questions, or "what bov sounds the best", or "how can I make my car into a 12 second car"....etc etc. You get the point
I would drive both before I jumped to conclusions. The reason being I was MUCH more excited about the STi than the Evo until I drove them both. You can't go wrong, but don't buy a car based on the stuff it's got. Buy it on how it feels. Also, you really should read some of the articles on both. You obviously haven't (else you wouldn't be asking these questions about the car) and I think they would be pretty interesting. One thing that was surprising was that the Evo was faster in the dirt than the STi, as driven by Rhys Millen... according to Car and Driver. One would think that would be the place for the DCCD and suretrac front diff to really shine, but the consensus seems to be that the front LSD is distracting and the DCCD doesn't make up for the inherently less balanced STi.