Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

got a CEL and Overboosting!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a CEL and Overboosting!!

Hello guys.. I just started my evo tonight and the CEL appeared. Later when I was driving at 6th gear, I stepped on the gas at low rpm and the boost was not that high (normally at 1.2 bar) and then it reached 1.2 bar and went to 1.4 bar for a split of a second then back to 1.2 bar. I dont know what happened I mean it could be boost creap but I checked again at lower gears. I stepped on it at 3rd and at 4th it never went over 1.2 bar.
Is this normal if driving at 6th gear while at low rpm when boost goes higher?
And about the CEL do they come out as a cause of the High Flow Cat or only from testpipes?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRN-EVO
Hello guys.. I just started my evo tonight and the CEL appeared. Later when I was driving at 6th gear, I stepped on the gas at low rpm and the boost was not that high (normally at 1.2 bar) and then it reached 1.2 bar and went to 1.4 bar for a split of a second then back to 1.2 bar. I dont know what happened I mean it could be boost creap but I checked again at lower gears. I stepped on it at 3rd and at 4th it never went over 1.2 bar.
And about the CEL do they come out as a cause of the High Flow Cat or only from testpipes?
You will always boost higher in 5 or 6 gear.

Cel lights come up for various reasons. Use a scanner to find out the cause.

You can get cel from hi flow cat.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:56 AM

So you mean that it could normally go to 1.4 bar instead of 1.2 on higher gears? isnt that boost creap? Ill use a scanner to find out about the cel.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BRN-EVO
Have you gotten a tune yet? Just as before adding parts like an intercooler can cause you to hit different load cells and possibly boost a little higher in the later gears than you would in the lower ones. A decent tuner can easily raise the boost limiter so you do not throw the code again. Good luck.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:26 PM

I went to get a scan for the cel and it was from the idle control. I got it cleared yesterday but today after I turn off the car, the turbo timer was counting down and at that moment, right after I turned it off the CEL came back!
What do you think is causing the idle controls errors? Is it the turbo timer? Its Greddy btw.