Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flashing SES light, did do a search....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing SES light, did do a search....

Before you jump on me, I know im a newb to the site but not to the land of fun japanese cars. I did do a search, but nobody has the same exact situation. I just picked up the car today, so it is my first time REALLY driving it. I am new to Mitsu's so I need some help with the gurus here.

Im not sure when it started cause i just noticed it today after driving from Buffalo to London ontario (2.5 hours) and after I got my alarm installed. I boosted her in first a bit and noticed the SES flashing for 3-4 seconds then went out. Of course I was like wtf so I tried it in second. Did it again. I did it a couple more times staring at the UEGO wideband and noticed it would creep from low 11's to 12 and I would let off... more flashing.

Two things I think are happening. The stock injectors are not sufficient, causing the leaning out or the tune isnt right and its detonating... or both. The setup is EVO9 turbo on an 8... walbro255, greddy 3" TBE, GSC S1's, and 23-24 psi with MBC on what appear to be STOCK 560's. I have not touched the setup, previous previous owner tuned the car. It is running 93 octane, so either the tune is ****, or the injectors cant keep up.

Im gonna filler her up with our 94 octane here, new properly gapped plugs, see if that helps. Maybe drop the boost a bit if that doesnt work. I dont have my stuff for evoscan yet so im limited into what i can do. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Bren

Last edited by brenner; Aug 24, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

the previous owner probably did the tephra mod. That makes the cel blink when the car knocks XX amount. The owner could have been **** and set it to 1 or 2 counts or its set a little higher and you have some issues with the tune in the car
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kreionic
the previous owner probably did the tephra mod. That makes the cel blink when the car knocks XX amount. The owner could have been **** and set it to 1 or 2 counts or its set a little higher and you have some issues with the tune in the car

Unfortuanely, at the moment I am limited to what I can do to rectify it or even check that. In Canada, very vew people have experience with Evo's - so ill be grabbing my cables and getting help along the way I guess.

Anyone else have any insight? Upgrade to bigger injectors, 750cc maybe.? I havent taken it right to fuel cut or anything, the light scares me away from pushint it too hard so I havent experienced any stuttering or anything like that.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
On a stock turbo the stock injectors are fine on pump fuel. As soon as you get the cable sending the ROM to someone will be an easy first step. Do you know anything about the car that was done by the previous owner? Also Magnus is somewhere in Ontario, and Marco definitely knows Evos.