Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The turbo for the Boost Solutions race car is here:-)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great googlie mooglie
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mad_VIII
BTW fuel cut is at 7600 rpms, not 7800.
Mine is at 7800rpms, and there is no fuel cut with a standalone...
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Look, not trying to be an *** here, but I thought I read you were going from 4.5" down pipe to 5" exhaust. My point was there is no need to step up after the down pipe and doing so does not make any sense from a thermodynamic perspective if your running catless.

I assume you are going to invest in a lot of dyno time with this project correct.... So there will be plenty of time to try varrying exhaust configs
Yes, you are right about the dyno time. But I will have a custom exhaust, nobody makes a 5" catback. The Supras are running 4" with the T51, so that can be OK. But some cars are running 4" with a TD06-20G, and it does not hurt them. Actually they are making great topend.
So I will see how everything looks when the turbo is in and teh car is at the muffler shop.

George
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hey george,
Is there any other projects going on at the shop with other evos. as i understand you have two evos there yours and an employee.
Is the employee doing anything to his compared to yours? Cuz i remember talking to a guy there who said he had a white evo and he was talking about his and what you were doing.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
In Timeout

Come on now, he's only had the car for 2 weeks

BTW fuel cut is at 7600 rpms, not 7800.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
In Timeout

What other cars have you built that are fast and are still running? I used Factor X for NSX stuff and they built several 10 second cars as well as 500HP Turbo NSX's. I see you guys are getting started and working on getting your name out there. But to blow up your new car that fast is crazy, what are you going to use for a computer and PLEASE don't say a safc or some other crap like that.

Originally posted by Boost Solutions

Yes, you are right about the dyno time. But I will have a custom exhaust, nobody makes a 5" catback. The Supras are running 4" with the T51, so that can be OK. But some cars are running 4" with a TD06-20G, and it does not hurt them. Actually they are making great topend.
So I will see how everything looks when the turbo is in and teh car is at the muffler shop.

George
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:52 PM
In Timeout

The best people I have found are Balanced Performance, they has great techs and do AC and tune up, not just sell "Go fast BS" They have a dyno and also tuned a NSX that was going to run in the LaMans this weekend but it blew up not there fault motor problem. They also RACE the cars they build. I just want to know WHY should I use you to do my EVO work not them?

Last edited by Ryanmcd2; Oct 15, 2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
What other cars have you built that are fast and are still running? I used Factor X for NSX stuff and they built several 10 second cars as well as 500HP Turbo NSX's. I see you guys are getting started and working on getting your name out there. But to blow up your new car that fast is crazy, what are you going to use for a computer and PLEASE don't say a safc or some other crap like that.

Look at our front page ( www.boost-solutions.com), and you will see that Autronic EMS means Engine Management System.
We have built a bunch of 500whp Zs and Supras.

Every car community has its disbelievers. That is why the cars in Japan are better, they test stuff out. If I blow the engine, I will build it again. What makes you think that the Evo8 4G63 will not hold 800whp? A BUNCH of cars are doing 700whp+++?
You should know that the VEo8 4G63 is better than the DSM 4G63 longblock...

About Balanced: We get a lot of cars here to be fixed from Balanced. Also, we had an Evo8, that got charged $340 for BC install, and the BC was not working. We fixed it for 10 minutes. If the TECHS there read the manula, or HAD ANY experience with teh FAST GO stuff, they would fix it too. But they are too busy with doing AC service, oil change, and selling dyno time.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Come on now, he's only had the car for 2 weeks

5 weeks, and we have worked on them since March
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

all I can say it hats off to you, and I wish I lived closer so I could see it.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:15 PM
In Timeout

I don't disbelieve you, I just have not seen your shop and I know they seem pretty good. I hope you do learn the evo well and once you do I will use you guys. I have talked with you before and you are super nice and I have nothing to say bad. I just think getting to 7-1000 HP it's going to take a lot of skill to get it running right, also what are you going to use for the computer? One last thing do you have a 4 wheel dyno and if so what do you charge to let a car run on it?

Thanks
Ryan

Look at our front page ( www.boost-solutions.com), and you will see that Autronic EMS means Engine Management System.
We have built a bunch of 500whp Zs and Supras.

Every car community has its disbelievers. That is why the cars in Japan are better, they test stuff out. If I blow the engine, I will build it again. What makes you think that the Evo8 4G63 will not hold 800whp? A BUNCH of cars are doing 700whp+++?
You should know that the VEo8 4G63 is better than the DSM 4G63 longblock...

About Balanced: We get a lot of cars here to be fixed from Balanced. Also, we had an Evo8, that got charged $340 for BC install, and the BC was not working. We fixed it for 10 minutes. If the TECHS there read the manula, or HAD ANY experience with teh FAST GO stuff, they would fix it too. But they are too busy with doing AC service, oil change, and selling dyno time.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:16 PM
In Timeout

I was just being a smart ***

5 weeks, and we have worked on them since March
Old Oct 16, 2003, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

George
Too large diameter of a exhaust will lower the exhaust temperature which means it will slow down the flow.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hanzo

Too large diameter of a exhaust will lower the exhaust temperature which means it will slow down the flow.
Yes, I agree, but "too large" can have many meanings.

The downpipe is supposed to be 1/2" bigger than teh turbine exducer. The first 18" after the turbo are teh most important. That is why on a stock car it is better to use a HKS downpipe, than a 3", unless planning to upgrade the turbo later.

The catback is supposed to be either the same as the downpie, or slightly bigger. This has been proven over and over again. Example: Running a full 3" exhaust on a DSM with a stock Turbo( T25). The car picks up considerable amount of power and torque through the whole powerband. So putting a 3" exhaust on a DSM does not hurt them, and their T25 is TINY compared to the stock TD05-16G on the Evo.

So I still think that if I will be fine, unless I put a 4" downpipe and then jump to a 6-7" exhaust. That will kill teh flow, that is too large.
Again, when we reach teh point of fabricating the exhaust we will decide on the final dimensions.

George
Old Oct 16, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I don't disbelieve you, I just have not seen your shop and I know they seem pretty good. I hope you do learn the evo well and once you do I will use you guys. I have talked with you before and you are super nice and I have nothing to say bad. I just think getting to 7-1000 HP it's going to take a lot of skill to get it running right, also what are you going to use for the computer? One last thing do you have a 4 wheel dyno and if so what do you charge to let a car run on it?

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan, I agree with you, and I know that 1000bhp is a lot, but the Norris Evo is making something like 800bhp, an dtheir engine is built to take more power. When building teh engine, you cannot build it for just 800. If you build a JUN engine, it will hold 1000HP. The forged pistons with coating will withstand the heat and detonation. The rods ( Pauter, Crower, Tomei, JUN ) have proven to withstand revs of 9000-9500rpms on a 4G63. The ARP head studs/rod bolts will handle that increased power as well. If the head is made to plow all that 30+ psi, and the engine is assembled with teh proper clearances, it will hold the 1000bhp.
Of course, the more power you make, the more you shorten the life of the engine. And that is common with race cars. I do not believe that our build engine will run perfectly for a year at 35psi all the time.
Actually, the engien is least of the problem on a 4G63 when building it. I am more worried about the differentals/ transfer case. But we are taking the challenge.

George

Quick Reply: The turbo for the Boost Solutions race car is here:-)